Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
BMcGeeny

Heads up Minnesota

I was just thinking this today. Somehow I missed this thread... Anyone up for a get-together the last weekend in Oct? Hopefully I'll have Greg aka ponddude's Rainbow Wall Runners assembled by that time and could show them. Also could demo my Torpedo projector if anyone wants to see a cheap crappy projector in use :)

Saturday the 24th works for me. I could be on your doorstep around 12:10. I work until noon.

I guess I should have been clearer on what I meant by "the last weekend of October" :)

I'm out of town this coming weekend (including the 24th). I should be available parts of the following one (30th - Nov 1) (we'll be doing something Halloween evening, and I have a meeting on Sunday Nov 1 in the evening. Saturday morning or early afternoon would probably be best...)

-Tim

The 1st would work for me, besides a cheap crappy projector sounds really intriguing.:)

Hopefully I can have a couple of project ready to show by then.

I should say that if the 24th works best for most people, I won't feel bad if you exclude me :)

I am very interested in meeting other fanatics from Minnesota. I will try to attend whenever something is planned / scheduled. Having said that, there are only 6 weekends left before Thanksgiving and the timing could be tight for those of us that feel set up pressures, especially after the time changes. Perhaps attending a get together will help make me more orgainized! :D

Is anyone in the area using LightShow Pro? I think it would be cool to see a demo of that...

I'd be free on the first from the about 1pm to 5-6pm-ish.

Sounds like we have enough interest to have at least a small gathering. Lets nail something down in the next day or so and then we can promote it to other members.

I'm willing to host as long as we do it in the above time-frame (and you don't mind my to hellions, I mean sons, around :) )

Tentatively, lets plan on this:

Sunday November 1

Start time: 1:30 (gives me time to get home from church, eat, and do any final preps)

End time: I need to be at a meeting at 7pm. We could probably do some sort of potluck supper if everyone wants, but I need to bail by around 6 or shortly thereafter. Cathy will still be around so it's not like we need to kick everyone out :)

Again, that assumes I'm hosting. If someone else would rather host, that's fine too.

Go ahead and spread the word --and I'll formalize/finalize this soon.

-Tim

Tentatively, lets plan on this:

Sunday November 1

Start time: 1:30 (gives me time to get home from church, eat, and do any final preps)

End time: I need to be at a meeting at 7pm. We could probably do some sort of potluck supper if everyone wants, but I need to bail by around 6 or shortly thereafter. Cathy will still be around so it's not like we need to kick everyone out :)

Again, that assumes I'm hosting. If someone else would rather host, that's fine too.

Go ahead and spread the word --and I'll formalize/finalize this soon.

-Tim

Count me in Tim. I'll be there at least most of the time.

I've just been informed that Nov 1 is the Vikings/Packers game. Does that affect anyone's decision? We can have the game on here, but it would probably affect both your game-watching ability and the discussion ability...

Looks like the Vikings/Pack game starts at 3:15. Maybe I'll try to bump our start time up a little (12:30 or 1pm) so we can get some Christmas talk in, then put the game on at 3:15. Of course we can continue Christmas discussions after that point as well, and those who really don't care at all about the game can ignore it and/or find another room in the house to congregate :)

Thoughts?

I've just been informed that Nov 1 is the Vikings/Packers game. Does that affect anyone's decision? We can have the game on here, but it would probably affect both your game-watching ability and the discussion ability...

I've just been informed that there is a family birthday party that day. Since it's for my birthday, it could be hard to skip. But, I don't know the timing yet.

I've just been informed that there is a family birthday party that day. Since it's for my birthday, it could be hard to skip. But, I don't know the timing yet.

You are in good company. Nov. 1st is my youngest son Andy's Birthday as well.

Tim, regarding the Sunday, Nov. 1st date. You know I will support whatever date you decide upon, but out of all dates this is a tough one for me. To wit....

1. It's on a Sunday in the fall. I have a pesky church obligation in the morning since Jackie sings in the choir.

2. It's on my son Andy's 20th Birthday. And I swear to *god* that kid needs my constant supervision... esp. on this Bday when he might be tempted to do something really naughty. LOL!

3. The **** church ladies (sorry churchy folks) already picked that date for our annual volunteer project that raises $$$ for the music ministry at Mt. Olivet. And they need me there from 1pm to 4pm. I'm their computer dude and I am doing the digitized lables for our holiday fundraiser project. (Homemade Beet Pickles). It's a once a year project that happens to fall this year on 11/01. I'm afraid I might end up in **** it I stand them up. LOL!

4. (This one is optional) I was hoping to be tipping a few brewsky's by 4:15pm while watching the Vikings own the Packers! ;)

I can get out of #4, but #'s 1 thru 3 might be tough. LOL! If it's okay for me to join the Mini already in progress around 5pm... then YES! I will be there!

You are in good company. Nov. 1st is my youngest son Andy's Birthday as well.

My Birthday is actually Friday the 30th -- only mention this to help explain why I was just informed of a celebration on the 1st. I think we are trying to accommodate my 85 year old in-laws. Timing is still unknown so I am in the maybe category for the MN get together. It would be very nice to put some faces to the names.

3. The **** church ladies (sorry churchy folks) already picked that date for our annual volunteer project that raises $$$ for the music ministry at Mt. Olivet. And they need me there from 1pm to 4pm. I'm their computer dude and I am doing the digitized lables for our holiday fundraiser project. (Homemade Beet Pickles). It's a once a year project that happens to fall this year on 11/01. I'm afraid I might end up in **** it I stand them up. LOL!

You attend Mt. Olivet, too? Sorry about the volunteer project... I perfectly understand. The place has a lot of things going, doesn't it? I sing in the Senior Choir so we've probably crossed paths at one time or another. (And we appreciate the $$$ -- I'll bet the proceeds will probably go toward the Cathedral Choir's annual trip next spring. We in the Senior Choir foot the bill ourselves... word has it our spring trip this year will be to... uh... I think we can get to Hopkins... no, maybe not that far...:rolleyes:

-d