I have the "grand turn on" lighting party on the day after thanksgiving at 7:00pm.

After that the "regular show" will run from November 28th to January 3rd this year.

M to T 6:00pm to 10:30pm

F,S,Su 6:00pm to 11:00pm

December 19th to January 3rd 6:00pm to 11:00pm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 26th is my night to enjoy my display. I kind of spend about three hours with it saying good bye. I take lots of pics that night. When I turn off the lights for the final time, I am a little sad, but content. I unplug my controllers, so I'm not tempted to turn them on again. Plus, it is a relief to finally get the controllers put away safe. :)

Michael,

I do close to the same thing on the last night of the show.

It's amazing how intouch we get with our work, our love for this season and the feelings of our display as a living thing. I miss the smiles brought to so many kids/families during the Christmas season. It's all magical.

Then it's time to say good bye.... till next year.

Like you said, a little sad, but content....

Well I light up my stuff early apparently lol. I light mine usually the weekend before Thanksgiving, leave it up till at least Dec. 28th (my birthday, I like the lights on my birthday) . Then I start to take it down it. never stays up over first week in Jan. ... unless its like a 2 day week or something lol. I light it from 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm each night , all night christmas eve.

Michael,

It's amazing how intouch we get with our work, our love for this season and the feelings of our display as a living thing. I miss the smiles brought to so many kids/families during the Christmas season. It's all magical.

Add a "Me Too" here, only ours is on New Year's Eve. I let the kids go play out in the display (the display portion of the yard is strictly off-limits the rest of the display season), we take a lot of pictures, shoot fireworks in the driveway, etc. Last year I moved the portable firepit in the driveway and had a bonfire as well... There usually aren't too many viewers that night but the rest of them we just kind of ignore and do our thing -- we often get quite a few people rolling down the windows, thanking us, and expressing some regrets to see it go dark (many of them are from the neighborhood, getting a last look, since most people don't do "light tours" that late in the display season)

Michael,

Tom,

The next night, when I'm walking my dog it's so weird. All I can keep saying to myself is, "It's so dark."

Guest Lightzilla

Well it will do me no good to turn them on here on our thanksgiving (Oct. 12th) but I may turn the lights on, on Friday November 27th......but only if there is snow on the ground.

It usually snows on Halloween and very cold, but not last year, last year it snowed on December 1st. I turned my lights on last year just after the USA thanksgiving with no snow on the ground and no one gave a flip, but when it snowed on December 1st then the viewers came.

Hard to believe but snow draws them, it adds to the display I guess.

Anyhow I run my lights from 6:00pm to 10:00pm until around December tenth, and then I run my lights from 5:00pm to 10:00pm during the week. Fridays and Saturday the lights run from 5pm or 6 pm to 11:00pm

Christmas eve and Christmas day they run until 1am or 2:00AM, but sometimes on Christmas eve I leave the lights on until 5:00am in the morning.... not always...but I do....when my wife is home and not working at the nursing home I leave the lights on.....but when she cannot be with us for Christmas my heart is sad and the lights go off around 1am or 2am.

I started this thread and I really enjoyed reading all of the responses that have been posted in just one day! Please, keep them coming! Perhaps I am too easily entertained, but I think this provides a nice break and it is something where even the newest members can join in.

I especially enjoyed those who have posted more than just times; the emotions of shut down and especially the post of Nanac1. That's great!

I have to admit that I differ in trying to get more time for Christmas lights. My entire Halloween display consists of one pumpkin and a candle. And sometimes I don't even get that carved out before our 4 trick or treaters arrive (we pretty much live in the country).

As to turning the lights off rituals; our house is on one side of the gravel road and our barn is on the other. Most of the lights are on the house side. Once a year, usually near the end of the season, I put a chair in front of the barn and sit there with a glass of Jack Daniels and a cigar and just look at the lights. If someone comes by, they always stop and say thank you, etc., but I do it to just to look at the lights. I really like lights...why else would I be here?

Tom,

The next night, when I'm walking my dog it's so weird. All I can keep saying to myself is, "It's so dark."

It is dark, isn't it? In our older house, we have a few 15A circuits W/O GFIs and not on the Christmas timer. I always run a cord to one of these so that the landscape lights will be on even when the "real" lights have shut down for the night. It helps, but it is not the same.

Add a "Me Too" here, only ours is on New Year's Eve. I let the kids go play out in the display (the display portion of the yard is strictly off-limits the rest of the display season), we take a lot of pictures, shoot fireworks in the driveway, etc. Last year I moved the portable firepit in the driveway and had a bonfire as well... There usually aren't too many viewers that night but the rest of them we just kind of ignore and do our thing -- we often get quite a few people rolling down the windows, thanking us, and expressing some regrets to see it go dark (many of them are from the neighborhood, getting a last look, since most people don't do "light tours" that late in the display season)

Tim,

Sounds like you have lots of fun on the final night and goes hand in hand with New Years Eve. The fireworks and bon fire sounds fun. And of course, the "thank you"s response and expressions has to give a good feeling deep down.

It is dark, isn't it? In our older house, we have a few 15A circuits W/O GFIs and not on the Christmas timer. I always run a cord to one of these so that the landscape lights will be on even when the "real" lights have shut down for the night. It helps, but it is not the same.

I too agree. I'll drive up to the house after the season is over and it'll be dark, like something is out of place. Like something is missing.

I think I'm going to cry....:santasmileyitty:

This year we will turn them on Thanksgiving Night, at least that's the plan :). and they usually stay on thru the 1st weekend of January. I completely agree that the first night that they are not going makes the house feel lacking. I usually adjust to it by March and then start my planning in April.

Are we all starting to get excited? I know I am.

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this website, but hopefully first of many. I'm just looking for a bit of advice with a few questions... 1) Is it a better idea to order lights online or just go get them in stores? I have a target, lowes, home depot, rite aide, the works, near me and they all carry lights so what would be a better idea. 2) I'm a college student, and it's up to me to the put the lights up in my house back home, which is only 20-30 minutes away, so I was just wondering what some of you veteran guys think I should do about putting the lights up. I'm going to be home for 4 days October 10-13 then not again until thanksgiving weekend. And I'm afraid I won't have enough time with 2 weekends, so far apart from each other. Now it is possible for me to go home on weekends tho. And my 3rd question is, I'm trying to decide what to do this year in addition to my lights. Every year I add more lights. So far, I have every bush and tree covered. But I feel like it's a little too random. 1 tree thats about 20-25 ft tall has all blue LED's, there are 3 up front, the left and right ones are red LED's and the middle one is white LED's. Those are all about 15-20 ft tall. Then the bushes lining my walkway from the driveway to the front are multi colored LED's, as well as a bush off to the side of my garage, 2 small trees on the side of the property, and a few bushes against the house, are all multi colored LED's. And finally candy canes (that i desperately need to replace) lining the walk way on the other side of the bushes. Sometimes, i feel like my display is too random with colors. This years I'm attempting to add icicle lights on the front edges and maybe snow flakes above the garage. So I would just like some advice, like should i get a little more uniform in color? And what should I add? Thanks for all the help!

Welcome to PC.

To best get answers to your questions, please observe the following:

1) Try not to post questions in an entirely unrelated thread. This thread is about calendar dates of running displays. Instead, start a new thread, and use an informative subject heading.

2) If you have several unrelated questions, start several threads.

3) Use a little whitespace in your posts. I see a large block of prose, and my brain locks up and I usually move on ;)

To briefly answer one of your questions-- I like displays with lots of random color: red bush here, blue tree there, etc. To me it just looks Christmassy.

Thanks,

-Tim

My goal is always up by the 1st of Dec and down on New Years day. Set the timers for lights on at dusk and off in 5 hours. I do think it's a good idea to keep them on all night Christmas Eve though so this year will start that ritual.

One fond memory is the year 1999. It was the last Christmas we were able to celebrate with my mom and after hearing from her for years that Christmas decorations weren't up long enough for her to enjoy my sisters, brothers and I decided to put them up in Oct. We left them all up until the end of January. Crazy maybe but it sure did make my mama happy.

Cindy

I will start setup November 1, and plan to be finished by Nov. 8. You all know how I love being first!! Whatever is setup on Nov. 1 is lit, and the display grows each night till complete. I usually start takedown on January 2, but last year we took the blowmolds and inflatables down on Dec. 27 because a snowstorm was forecast (which didn't happen). When we start takedown, what's left of the display is officially dark.

We run when it snows, but do not run if it rains. Timed from 5:00 pm to midnight. I asked the neighbors, and no one seems to mind midnight. We do not currently play music.

The wensday after Thanksgiving until New Years Eve. Nightly from 5:30-9:30. Christmas Eve and Christmas Night until 10:30.

As you read the thread there are obviously a lot of both similarities and personal preferences. Just curious, how/why did you arrive at the Wednesday after Thanksgiving? That is very different.

As you read the thread there are obviously a lot of both similarities and personal preferences. Just curious, how/why did you arrive at the Wednesday after Thanksgiving? That is very different.

First off we don't like them to be on until after thanksgiving.

Secondly my father in law is off work on wednesday. So when we started turning on the lights we decided on a wednesday night so they could attend. It has just kinda stuck since then and now is our tradition. Everyone around knows thats when the house with all the lights turns them on and the crowd seems to get bigger each year.:cool:

turn on thanksgiving night when it gets dark, up untill new years day night, then dark, running for the display is dark till when a) i realize its after midnight B) i go to bed

the display is static and this is the first year in this house.

from what im told the cemetary which i can see from my house does lumaniries so probably that night i will leave the display on as late as i can maybe even all night that falls somewhere around the 11th or 12th of december its a saturday so that night it will stay on late