has anyone used light show pro?

hey guys,

i'm about to order software to program my first show... in the past i've used animated lighting and their pre-programmed shows so i figured i had to use their software. i was looking at the vendor links and eventually ran across http://www.lightshowpro.com/ i looked around a little a don't see it mentioned much so i was curious to see if anybody here has used it? any thoughts are appreciated...

You can import the sequences, make changes, even use their software to run the show, or you can simply convert it back to its original format with the changes you have made, but you will loose Wii functionality if you do that. You must run LSP for interactive items like the Wii. Check out their forums and ask questions away! Someone will always chime in or they check the forums pretty often too and have made several updates and included MANY new features since it was first released.

I changed to LightShow Pro this year, last year I used Auroa and LSP just seems to have a lot of new nice features.

We our going to have a WII guitar on the opening night and I bought a small touch screen pc unit from Ebay for $100 to use as a Kiosk Jukebox. The Kiosk will give a user the ability to pick a different song to see if they want or the system will keep going in the normal loop.

I have to say the support has been awesome, they have always responded the sameday and even offered to remote into my PC to fix on issue.

I must admit I've been trying to evaluate Light Show Pro for a couple of weeks but I cannot get it to run on my system. Everything installs properly, just when it starts the sequencer it comes up, tells me it's an eval and how many days are left then just crashes out, no notices, no warnings.

There's so many things to deal with in putting together a full blown show that I'll just stick with LOR S2, and have one less huge worry.

i've been watching all of their tutorials and am pumped about the wii guitar feature! i plan on ordering the full version in the morning... i've been playing with the demo all day! i've gotten pretty good at timing the intervals but was wondering if anyone had any tips or secrets that they use? thanks in advance...

jb

OK, now remember it will NOT import your AL shows UNLESS you have the Animation Director files from them. They won't give those to you unless you sign your life away with a non disclosure statement. Once Paul looks up that you DON'T own AD he'll quiz you why you want the grids. Once he finds out you are not buying his stuff you'll be cut off from ANYTHING AL.

Speaking as a developer that has worked with AL, I found the LSP conversion to only be about 60% accurate (cue the LSP people to jump in and tell me I'm wrong please). I also worry about the untested nature of LSP since this will be the first season it is available.

With that said, would I buy the bug-riddled un-updated for several years Animation Director for $400, or give LSP a shot? LSP would get my money without a second thought.

thanks old.... i was just going to use the memory cards from my monster brain but i guess that won't work? I figured Paul wouldn't be too thrilled being that he's not the friendliest of people on the phone. Now i have such a hard choice to make...

i have 15 songs from AL already but the software is waay overpriced so i'll probably go with lsp... it's just sad bc i like the shows i already have...

thanks old.... i was just going to use the memory cards from my monster brain but i guess that won't work? I figured Paul wouldn't be too thrilled being that he's not the friendliest of people on the phone. Now i have such a hard choice to make...

i have 15 songs from AL already but the software is waay overpriced so i'll probably go with lsp... it's just sad bc i like the shows i already have...

Nope, you need the Animation Director Grid file that was used to generate the file that is on the memory card. After talking to Paul this summer, he made it 100% clear that he would NOT give grids to ANYONE who did not have a licensed copy of AD.

He is also of the opinion (which is legally incorrect) that you can not take the data he sold you and transform it to use in a different system. (Truth: Fair Use laws in USA allow you to transfer from 1 medium to another. However, the NDA he makes you sign prevents you from sending the grid to say someone like me who could convert it from AD to Vix)

Would he go so far as to not sell you any more hardware? I doubt it. If it puts $$$ in AL's pocket that is OK. But I wouldn't expect much in the way of support.

nice! i'm having trouble with the download though. i guess my last question would be...can you use it with a monster brain? if so how would the wii feature work?

I'm an animated lighting user. I actually find I want to edit my sequences in both LSP and Animation Director. There are tweaks I know how to use better in Animation Director but for creation or verifying against an audio wave signal, etc, LSP has the most features of any software. The great thing is, you can "import" Light O Rama files, and then export them for use on your Animated Lighting system, or you can just run your show (monster brain too) on Light Show Pro. In fact you can operate both Animated Lighting and LOR equipment at the same time, same show with LSP, you can also throw in Vixen and even compatibility with 8 year old Dasher controllers is possibly in the works. The cool thing is you can also edit, fix, import things on LSP and export back to Animation Director. This is definately a break thru product and there is no reason to envy LOR II users and their very modern software, LSP has all the latest features and also blazing new territory with new features nobody else has.

I must admit I've been trying to evaluate Light Show Pro for a couple of weeks but I cannot get it to run on my system. Everything installs properly, just when it starts the sequencer it comes up, tells me it's an eval and how many days are left then just crashes out, no notices, no warnings.

There's so many things to deal with in putting together a full blown show that I'll just stick with LOR S2, and have one less huge worry.

Write them on the LSP forum. You need a particular version of Microsoft's .NET for everything to work right.

what do you guys set your intervals to? mine doesn't have a rythym selection (idk why) but i prefer half seconds anyway...

Ah dont worry about Animated Lighting. Now that you are a LSP user, you can search the internet and find other people's sequences rather they be Animated Lighting, Vixen or LOR II sequences to import and edit to fit your display. There is a learning curve to ALL softwares, I'd say LSP is the future. The fact that their market is open to ALL softwares suggest they actually have sufficient sales activity and financial support as well as incentive to constantly make updates for years to come. Dont worry, If Animated Lighting wont sell you any more lighting equipment, I am sure LOR or Dlights would like to do business with you since LSP can operate multiple light hardware systems at the same time. Each set up operates on separate com ports. And BTW, Oldcqr, LSP is holding its own quite well, the bugs are not as numerous as they can be with Animation Director. There are limitations I saw with Vixen that arent present with LSP.