Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Brandon

When are you planning to start hanging lights?

Started hanging lights yesterday. A lot of the trees still have leaves but working on the pine trees right now.

Need a PC ruling

I am transitioning to green and red C9 leds along the fascia of the house and also adding the same to the hips and ridges. My 1000ft reel of white stringers have been unwoiund in the front yard and I have hung (temporary) to measure, cut and start installing the clips. I just finished taking them down to solder the spt3 leads on them. Still 90 here, too hot to start the roof area.

Does this constitute starting to hang ?????

3rd or 4th weekend of October for my roof grid then everything depends on when the grass stops growing. I will get my mini-mega tree up as soon as I get my lights from Travis.

Started last week in sept. House is done in white, and icicles. Have three colors left to do, Blue going on this week. I try and get house done before leaves drop, takes two to three weeks around here for me to do leaves, so that kills me on lights rate around Halloween, and beginning of Nov.

Trees get wrapped the middle of Nov.

All my lawn stuff, century tree, and arches, go up the week of Thanksgiving. Lights on Saturday night after Thanksgiving.

(47d 47m) if anybody counting...

Guest Lightzilla

I can probably set up outside and no one well laugh at me or make jokes, because it has been snowing the past 3 days, and then melt, then snow, then melt ans so on.

The early snow seems to bring out Christmas shoppers.

Anyhow, I am still working on my display building things.....those need to be completed 1st then I can set up the display.

It is cold now, so whether I set up now or in November it makes no difference, it is cold....seems I always seem to set up in the cold and snow.

Somewhat sick, but I'm glad to hear of your pain. At least I know I'm not alone. The only thing you didn't mention was chores... before the new snow deadline of Columbus Day!

It puts a smile on my face to say that I put my blue led's on my giant pine out front! It looks amazing, I want to do it all now! I'll probly do a few other trees. I also have 2 songs progammed for my LOR! I'm so excited already! Haha Halloween who?

Just finishing up my blue led tree ...it seems to have made a difference ( in $$$ for power!)in switching over to all blue led's last year. Next I've got to start on those pine trees out back, then the white and green tress out front, then to set up the trains ....OMG.... is it October already?!? I'm late, late, late .....LOL

When are you planning to start hanging Christmas lights? Just kinda wondering when everyone will start.

Already been underway here for weeks. Got a tree lift a few weeks ago, always start with the highest places first and work my way down... afterall with it raining every couple days and breaking records with 93 degree days and 77 degree nights, we are still on once a week lawn mowing duty here so anything that gets in the way of the mower is not good.

Guest showtime

Put some on the roof last night and it was about 24 degrees out lol.:121_reindeer:

Its Pouring rain here in Cali 25-40 mph gusts !!! Most of my Halloween stuff was blowing away . Only thing that has stayed up right now is my arch and the Rail road tracks along front of house -- C9 strips with 2 channels put into them. I am battening down the hatches !!!

Its Pouring rain here in Cali 25-40 mph gusts !!! Most of my Halloween stuff was blowing away . Only thing that has stayed up right now is my arch and the Rail road tracks along front of house -- C9 strips with 2 channels put into them. I am battening down the hatches !!!

Sorry the weather is rough over there but isnt this supposed to be California fire season with everything burning down? You guys have almost been needing a super el nino to wash away the drought and fill Lake Tahoe back up. The El Nino came has already done away with the drought in Florida over the summer and we are expecting an unusually wet dry season this winter. Oh Joy... lots of unusually wet nights coming in December for us.

Guest showtime

I got the roof and one side of the house done yesterday. The weather was great, now today its raining?

This coming Saturday we'll start doing the bushes and trees as well as other places we can put bulbs that won't get in the way of the lawn being cut. Have two more mows before we can put stuff on the ground.

Halloween day for me, usually I do the 1st of November, but since Saturday will be wasted if I don't, I think I'll start then. I usually do like most others around here, start at the top and work my way down. (roof first)

Oct. 31 for me, like other usually Nov. 1st but If Sat. is realy nice I dont think I san wait.

I will try and start with stuff that can not be seen from the street that easy.

So I got a little carried away...

Most bushes are done and small side of the house is done(siding)

Just couldn't stop! The rest will have to wait until after Halloween, just wanted to get some of the less obvious work done so I could free up some time for the rest.

So I got a little carried away...

Most bushes are done and small side of the house is done(siding)

Just couldn't stop! The rest will have to wait until after Halloween, just wanted to get some of the less obvious work done so I could free up some time for the rest.

You start with the less obvious and I start with the most obvious.....

I will be starting Sunday Nov.8 at about 6:00P.M.

The first string will be at the Eastern most side on the roof.

I will work up there until the kids go to bed at 9:00. Then I will start wrapping the crab apple tree so the kids don't hear me stomping around on the roof;)

Well, I typically start on the Saturday after Thanksgiving as my wife has reserved Black Friday for shopping and it's hard to string lights with 2 kids at your feet. This year, however, I have a lot more than prior years, so I'm thinking I might start on the weekend before Thanksgiving. I initially thought that was too early - that is... until I read everyone's prior responses. :-)