Hard Wire LED Light Strands

Can anyone tell me how to hard wire strands of LED mini-lights? I want to cut off the male plug and connect the strand directly to the controller (there is a reason). However, it looks like there is circuitry in the plug on one end and the receptacle on the other end. Does anyone have a wiring schematic of these light strands?

This is my first year. I am doing everything in 4 colors (red, white, blue, and green). I decided that I would use a multi conductor cable to supply power to each "set" of 4 strands. That would be easier to hook up and more sightly (fewer cables running around). Also, the connectors that I am using are weather resistant, so I don't have to worry about rain and snow.

Jim

I would wire four female plugs to the end of your multi-conductor cable. I know I have seen some how-to's for how to run two channels down a single three prong extension chord. This would be similar, just using one shared ground and four separate lines. This would allow you to wire one cable to four channels of LOR and you could still plug in whatever variation of strings you wanted at the end. I have some pretty heavily modified LED strings and have blown a few strings myself without intending to. I would leave the plugs alone, a lot of the new strings have the resistors and rectifiers in the plug. Unless you have the globs on the wires, they hid them in the plugs and the plugs need to stay. An alternative would be to go to a low voltage DC controller board.

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I am doing; 4 hots and a neutral. I guess I will have to leave the plugs on, but it is not the elegant solution that I was looking for. I was hoping to get rid of the bulk of the plugs, but I guess not.

Jim

Jim,

Just a bit of advise if you have not already thought of this yourself. Running multi circuits and using only one return can bite you. I don't know how long the run is, what gage wire you are going to use nor what kind of load. So, I just wanted to point out a potential problem. If the load (total of all 4 circuits in your case) is near the max of the wires ability to carry. There is a possibility that A) the return can over heat and melt the jacket and cause a short or fire. B) The return can in this case, of a neutral elevating to a potential higher than 0 volts and cause your lights to be dimmer than usual. So make sure that the return is large enough wire gage to handle all current paths through your 4 circuits.

If you already of have thought of this, then maybe it might be of help to someone else new to this stuff.