Telco motionettes and the people who love them

slankard

I've been on PC for a few months now, and though I've enjoyed reading about everything under the sun? stars? snow?...I haven't come across any site dealing with the old telco motionettes. I realize that this site seems to deal with more home made electrical devices, but I didn't know where else to post. Is there any telco addicts out there? I know they haven't put them out in mass quantities like they used to in eight or nine years, but I've got a nice even 50 and I love constructing castles, trains, skating rinks and anything else I can try to keep water proof to display them in. No, before you ask, I haven't figured out how to download any pictures, but eventually I'm going to take the time to study one of the PC threads that will show me how to create my own website and download my pics. In the meantime, I'm dying to see if anyone else shares my passion for these little mechanical guys...and the kids absolutely love them!

Welcome to the forums. I remember all the old Telco stuff. I still have some of the old Telco catalogs. I know a family that is liquidating their entire display right now. They have a lot of the older stuff but its all been kept outside 24-7 so its not in the best condition. I have done a few repairs on some animated figures before. The trick is to find a motor that is 5-10rpm and runs off 110V (at least for Telco stuff) The newer stuff is all dc. You have to get creative to replace broken cams and brackets inside the housings but it can be done. I'm glad someone still has some of these old treasures.

HI, Randy is right, I do have a good sized collection of Telco and Santa's Best moitonettes. At last count, it's between 250 and 300 leaning much more towards the 300. Found some really great deals this summer on Disney ones for about $10 each. I was in heaven.

I am always on the look out for more. Been busy creating new scenes for this year. I NEVER , EVER use mine outside. They are too precious to me and would walk away if you get my drift. I do use them in all of my windows to create scenes. I have a walk thru display and over the years, we've become known for our animated dolls in the windows.

Best sources are EBAY, garage sales and Craigslist.

Andrew if you know of someone selling their collection please let me know how I can get in contact with them.

Marilyn'

Here are pictures of three I got recently. The mickey in airplane does have wings that light up and the banner behind the plane appears to be waving in the wind. Got these for roughly $10 each plus a large Tigger, large winnie the pooh with honey pot and a talking,singing , animated Scooby Doo in Santa suit from the same seller. Picked up so no shipping either.

post-31-129571155373_thumb.jpg

post-31-129571155383_thumb.jpg

post-31-12957115539_thumb.jpg

I'm just blown away by the response, in fact I just purchased a Goofy off of Ebay. I payed a bit, but it seems out here in Broken Arrow it's just hard to find anykind of sales. Thank you all for the encouragement...now I've got to go outside and cut down some beautiful six foot tall Cannas just to string lights!

They were nice, but I like my Rennoc and Display Arts "Little People" better. I have several of them. I wish there was a site to see all the old ones, both companies made so many. I have the 24" ones.

Anyone else?

Mark

Mark, I have many of the Rennoc and the "Little People" and agree with you completely as far as these are nicer to look at. However, These are also the ones in my collection that seem to strip the plastic gears faster than the Telco ones.

It would be great to have a site to go look at all that were availalble from all three companies.

Marilyn

They were nice, but I like my Rennoc and Display Arts "Little People" better. I have several of them. I wish there was a site to see all the old ones, both companies made so many. I have the 24" ones.

Anyone else?

Mark

I have the DA Wizard of Oz line. They are not made very well at all inside. The outside is cute!

I just bought a neat Goofy with mini brights strung all over him, and no, I still have no idea how to upload images to my computer, but I'm in the middle of stringing lights in %*$#& Oklahoma weather! I got him for $61 plus $10 shipping. It was my first telco to buy on Ebay, but I think I got a decent deal. Seems like the Disney Telcos were originally going for around $100 back in the mid '90's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello, I am new to this site, I found 8 motionettes (in their boxes) in my Mom's attic; do you know anyone who might be interested in buying them? Santa in his sleigh-has lighted bell and plays christmas music, Rudolph-head moves and nose lights red, Mrs Claus, Santa in chair-talks-Oh My Feet, pink and blue santa, girl with white snow outfit on-holds snowball that lights up, Mickey rolling LARGE snowball; minnie holding lollipop, snoring santa in bed-thanks.

• 4 months later...

Hello, all! I found this forum over the weekend while searching for information on the Telco Motionettes. I have the Winnie the Pooh with Santa hat, presents in one hand, honey pot in the other. The honey pot lights up and shines on Pooh's face as he moves -- or, at least, it did, until the light went out this weekend. I know the light is replaceable as there's a sticker on the honey pot indicating that it's a 4 watt maximum, but I don't see an easy way that the pot opens and am a bit afraid to just yank it off for fear of breaking Pooh, who I've had since 1996. Does anybody have this or a similar figure and have experience replacing the bulb? Thank you so much!

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am new to this forum and glad I found somwhere to discuss the motionettes.I recently picked up an electric victorian ice skater, however she will not turn.She is beautiful and I would like to see her working, any suggestions? The music does play and I was told she did work but the lady I got her from sells at a flea market and she was out sick for awhile and when she returned the doll did not turn any more. Are these motors hard to replace, or is there any where to get them fixed?

Guest Scot Meyers

wow this sounds like it could be a niche buisness repairing motionettes.

I repair gemmy animated's ( no airblowns) and have found that i can get replacment parts form my local R/C hobby store

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone

just started collecting motionettes for christmas ,yes and found this place.

I live in australia and i am always looking for something different and yes found the motionette.

I also have a special needs daughter who is now 22 so christmas is always a special tme of year and for our other 2 daughters,and our grandkids they love my displays.

So this year will have something new for the garage.

I did notice regarding motors and i do have a voltage converter as we run 240volts so now i can convert to 110 volts.

With regards to parts recomendations for motors would be good.

Stuart

• 6 months later...

I'm new to this forum. Still trying to figure out how to use it and find all the replied.  I have Telco motionettes and Rennoc? some from K-Mart and some from Disney Store, all from the 90's I believe.  One by one they have started to "stick" in their movement (I call it a hitch in their get-a-long) and I'm afraid to turn them on because I don't want the motor to burn up.  I've been trying to find someone to fix them and found a local guy (not easy in Northern California) that is willing if I can find out where to get the motors, or gears to replace them.  Can anyone tell me details about the motors and gears and where to get them?

• 3 months later...

I love telco motioneetes too have about 30 and that number goes up all the time. If you ever want to chat about them Im always willing. Telcos are great and all but Ive been shifting my focus on trying to get a hold of Hamberger displays items especially the elfs.  But I still keep an eye out for telcos for a good price. Speaking of prices the telco elves with the work tables are my faviorite but the prices they go for are ridicilous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At a yard sale this past week I bought two 1996 Telco motionettes and I was wondering if you guys could help me value them.  They are a Mickey Mouse and Goofy Marching Band Telco motionettes.  Mickey works perfectly, (head and both arms move), but Goofy's right arm with the trumpet does not move, (his head and left arm do move).  Neither light up or make a sound (I'm not sure if they are supposed to.  I thought they were just the coolest things and I had to get them.  I could not find these anywhere else on the internet and was hoping someone has seen them before.  Thanks

post-18474-0-18313700-1372079582_thumb.j

post-18474-0-98778400-1372079584_thumb.j

post-18474-0-60637300-1372079587_thumb.j

Archived