Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
H2Opolo15

What is your favorite Christmas movie!?

All of the movies above are great Christmas flicks, but I'm surprised no one mentioned my favorite: The Santa Clause.

Why is this my favorite? First of all it looks awesome; very Christmas-y and gets you in the spirit. The main reason though is because it helps children keep the belief in all of the Santa facts. It explains all of the questions like: "How does Santa live forever", "How do you get around the world in one night", "How do you get down a house with no chimney" and the like.

Awesome flick, and one that makes me remember the Christmas spirit and the reasons behind the holiday.

I can't believe it took 18 posts to get to The Santa Clause! I am with Ryan for all of the reasons he said. Sequels, not so much. As to number two on my list: Miracle on 42nd Street. A classic. I only watch them once per year, but I watch them all.

Haha, well I guess I was the second to say The Santa Clause! Great movie all around. And I must agree, sequels were... sub par... But I can't say I like it for the same reasons. But I am only 19, I'm sure I will see it that one one day. I like it for the reason that it shows everyone can believe in Christmas, no matter how unfactual Santa Clause is! He stands for more than the chubby, jolly guy who brings children their presents.

My all time favorite is Christmas Vacation, It's a three way tie for second

2a-White Christmas

2b- The Santa Claus

2c- The Polar Express

I can't believe Polar Express hasn't been mentioned yet.

SPaschall

What is unfactual about Santa Clause? Well... I man, one night, all around the world, every house with children... Everything? I'm not trying to start an argument? What is factual is that Santa doesn't exist except in the minds of children. And that's all that matters!

My List is:

1. A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owens (1938)

2. Christmas Vacation

3. Deck The Halls

I guess I am still a child cause I BELIEVE in Santa

Uh okay? I never asked to get attacked for one comment? I completely believe in the IDEA of Santa, but not the guy himself? :/

No attack meant. I was just stating my belief, I feel that at this time of the year (especially this year) everyone needs something to have hope, and who doesn't smile when they think of Santa. I will get off my soapbox now, but I repeat, it was not a attack on you I was just having fun.

Preach it, Brotha'!

The original Mr. Hankey rivals bigger, longer, uncut...as an aside, the only rated R movie I ever got carded for when I was around the age of 17-20 was South Park!

No attack meant. I was just stating my belief, I feel that at this time of the year (especially this year) everyone needs something to have hope, and who doesn't smile when they think of Santa. I will get off my soapbox now, but I repeat, it was not a attack on you I was just having fun.

Ok, well in the way you put it, everyone believes in Santa in their own little way. Even if it's not the way that he comes to your house and leaves gifts for your children.

The original Mr. Hankey rivals bigger, longer, uncut...as an aside, the only rated R movie I ever got carded for when I was around the age of 17-20 was South Park!

I'm generally pretty toleratant of South Park's more offensive characters and dialogue, particularly because more often than not, they help facilatate some sort of lesson or positive message.

...I draw the line at talking poo, however... It's just so unnecessary and doesn't serve much purpose.

poo + christmas = bad, IMO.

Plus, it's really hard to find brown christmas lights...

MV5BMjAxMTE0NTk4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjUxMzQyMQ@@._V1._SX98_SY140_.jpgThe Night they Saved Christmas, a Charlies Angels movie LOL ;o)

No, they where drilling test sights for oil at the north poll and had to do some blasting, unaware that everytime they set off a round of charges it caused all kinds of problems for Santa. It was first on in 1984 and got nominated for a prime time emmy. It was a cute story. Back in the Vault a ways though eh?

Lenny

I love them all. Some not as popular ones:

Trapped in Paradise

All I want for Christmas

That Christmas movie with Johnthan Taylor Thomas

The one where they are dynomiting the North Pole

Home Alone 1 and 2

Grumpy Old Men

My brain is tired so I can't think of movie names. I watch them all that come on tv. ABC Family has had some great ones such as Snowglobe recently.