Is the ramsey FM 25 b transmitter any good?

I have the belkin tune cast mod .Some days it will get four or five house away. But on raining days I can only get it in front of my house.I have tryed the antenna size post and still the same results .Will the ramsey FM 25b do the trick with the whip antenna or will i need some thing stronger ?I want about a mile distance my street is one way in and one way out so I want listeners to hear my music all around my block .Any help would be great.The station I am using is 89.5. Thanks for your help!

I want about a mile distance my street is one way in and one way out so I want listeners to hear my music all around my block .Any help would be great.The station I am using is 89.5. Thanks for your help!

Be careful with a mile, you could get in trouble with the FCC.

I remember somebody posted a thread about bunnyears but i lost it. Try searching around on ebay for bunny ears. I think he wired the intenna into the bunny ears input, pretty simple.

I remeber he said it went like a couple blocks so he shut it off right away :-).

Could anyone post the link if they remeber it?

EDIT: 123rd POST!!!

Edited by candylandman
misplelled word

I have the belkin tune cast mod .Some days it will get four or five house away. But on raining days I can only get it in front of my house.I have tryed the antenna size post and still the same results .Will the ramsey FM 25b do the trick with the whip antenna or will i need some thing stronger ?I want about a mile distance my street is one way in and one way out so I want listeners to hear my music all around my block .Any help would be great.The station I am using is 89.5. Thanks for your help!

The ramsey is good but your problem is what you want, you need to externalize and elevate your antenna. For a mile, you definately need a ground wave antenna (its about $130 at ramsey) and it quadruples the broadcast power of either the ramsey or belkin radios. Use care you WILL have to tune the antenna to the frequency you broadcast which involves adjusting the length of the antenna to the precise length mentioned with the pamplet that comes with the antenna. A good idea is also the groundwave antenna needs to be placed as high as you possible can go because FM signals will not travel thru tree trunks, houses or hills at all at the 1/4 watt or less broadcast power that these transmitters have. You will have to put the antenna over the top of the neighbor's house if you expect to be able to tune in the channel from the other side of that neighbor's house. Best case scenario is you are located at the top of a hill.

Be careful with a mile, you could get in trouble with the FCC.

I remember somebody posted a thread about bunnyears but i lost it. Try searching around on ebay for bunny ears. I think he wired the intenna into the bunny ears input, pretty simple.

I remeber he said it went like a couple blocks so he shut it off right away :-).

Could anyone post the link if they remeber it?

EDIT: 123rd POST!!!

I am not telling anyone to do anything they shouldnt. But on cold nights I have been able to "detect" my channel playing approximately 2.25 miles away (noisy and lots of static), but I can keep stereo LOCK on for about 1/2 mile. Many people on here have found no problems with using a slightly stronger antenna but I think we all know better then to use higher power imported transmitters that can produce a 20 mile broadcast radius. For the purposes we use at Christmas, 3 or 4 hours max a night only mostly in December, we have never known a Christmas animator to get in trouble with the FCC. Sometimes the superior antenna can actually clean up the broadcast signal and thats what makes the broadcast so much stronger, it focuses your broadcast signal to a finite point rather then spraying around a fuzzy signal with a couple hardmonic echos on top of licensed frequences.

BTW, that was me that was telling everyone that Rabbit ears are exactly the samething as the PVC pipe version that Ramsey's sells. Go and download their free PDF owner's manual to their PVC and wire based $70+ antenna and then just apply the "tuning lengths" to each of the wire whips so that your antenna is tuned to your signal. The signal wave broadcast is in the shape of the antenna itself so bent antennas or crinkley wire antennas broadcast fuzzy signals, nice straight and sharp antennas broadcast are more focused and clear. The difference in the rabbit ears is they must be positioned straight UP and Down... not in the fashion you recognize them on top of TV's in a V shape. If you do that, it shoots the FM signal straight down at the earth.

Antenna broadcast power:

Hanging wire antenna = DB loss -2.5

Single pole whip antenna = DB loss -1.0

Dual pole rabbit ears = DB Gain +1

Groundwave antenna = DB Gain +4

Old style TV/FM receiving antenna DB gain +6 in the direction it points, DB Loss -3 in other directions

Edited by Joseph Ayo

Sometimes the superior antenna can actually clean up the broadcast signal and thats what makes the broadcast so much stronger, it focuses your broadcast signal to a finite point rather then spraying around a fuzzy signal with a couple hardmonic echos on top of licensed frequences.

The signal wave broadcast is in the shape of the antenna itself so bent antennas or crinkley wire antennas broadcast fuzzy signals, nice straight and sharp antennas broadcast are more focused and clear. The difference in the rabbit ears is they must be positioned straight UP and Down... not in the fashion you recognize them on top of TV's in a V shape. If you do that, it shoots the FM signal straight down at the earth.

Antenna broadcast power:

Hanging wire antenna = DB loss -2.5

Single pole whip antenna = DB loss -1.0

Dual pole rabbit ears = DB Gain +1

Groundwave antenna = DB Gain +4

Old style TV/FM receiving antenna DB gain +6 in the direction it points, DB Loss -3 in other directions

I have to be careful... I almost shot coffee out my nose when I read the "crinkley wire antennas broadcast fuzzy signals" part! :P

Joe, where do you get this stuff??? :rolleyes:

300px-Shona_witch_doctor_(Zimbabwe).jpg

To answer the OP's original question:

The FM25 will have a much better range than the Belkin... the EDM is also a very good choice with it's adjustable output power to get the range without going over what you need.

They both will give decent range with the whip (FM25) or "crinkley" wire (EDM), although an external antenna will increase range on either on if you find it is needed.

http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=35221

the last post shows a simple low cost dipole antenna.

http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=23446

good read on external antennas ;)

I went from the Belkin to a Ramsey25 last year and got a huge boost from about 75' on a good day with the Belkin to an average of 350' and got close to 1/2 mile on a clear cold day.

The antenna and it's location will make or break the difference

I have to be careful... I almost shot coffee out my nose when I read the "crinkley wire antennas broadcast fuzzy signals" part! :P

Joe, where do you get this stuff??? :rolleyes:

I was actually summarizing what a radio engineer at ramsey had explained on their own forum. Not talking about the deal held by a PVC pipe, he was explaining its not good to get bends or crinkles in the wire for them. Myself I was describing the 18 inch long loosely hanging small guage wire used as a broadcast antenna on some brands of radio transmitters. I think the idea was those hard bends and crinkles in the wire can create multiple or unexpected radiation points that can have the effect of widening the broadcast band and possible harmonic noise can be introduced.

Ramseys does not come with these but their are several brands of IPOD to FM broadcasters that do have the hanging wire antenna. The DB ratings, well I went to ramsey's forumn and copied and pasted that part.

Edited by Joseph Ayo

Can people see your lights from a mile away? If not, you don't need/want that kind of range. You want about 200' tops. We really don't want the FCC starting to crack down on everyone's displays...

Ramsey FM25B is an excellent unit -- I used mine since 2002...

-Tim

Yes it is.

As stated in previous posts if you start broadcasting a mile the FCC will show up at your door.

I made my own antenna for about $40 using a dipole antenna from Radio Shack, some PVC and coaxial cable & connectors. It transmits to either end of the block about 1500 to 1800 feet.

I was trying to find a link that I used with pictures, but cannot. Let me know if you want pictures of mine.

EDIT:

I found the link, it is here:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=23446&highlight=DIY+Antenna

Edited by nmonkman
Found the link
  • 2 weeks later...

If you can find them on EBay the Landmark FM350 is an Great little unit, I'm using an external Ant on top of the house and I'm able to get all the coverage one would need. I gentleman using the name "gear123" has sold them on and off, I purchased 2 from him and they are mil spec top grade products.

Tim