Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Ross

Snow Already!!!

Looking out the window at one inch of snow (not the wet stuff either), with "enough to build a snowman or go sliding" with the next system in a couple days according to the weather man.

She's a little nippy outside right now! Cords and lights get a little stiff and hard to unpack, but really, I wouldn't have it any other way. The white stuff really helps get a person in the mood for decorating!

I am glad it is not hot anymore but I wasn't ready for this kind of weather yet. I was hoping to set up my display in 40 or 50 degree temps instead of 20's and 30's. It is supposed to snow tonight by me.:mad:

Please send it here. I was just outside watering and weeding around the plants and I'm sweating from being out there.

I can relate to Bob, just did the same thing this evening. If we don't break this heat wave and get some rain, I'm going to have to paint my lawn green before I set up the display this year.

I am glad it is not hot anymore but I wasn't ready for this kind of weather yet. I was hoping to set up my display in 40 or 50 degree temps instead of 20's and 30's. It is supposed to snow tonight by me.:mad:

I'm with you Shaun. If this kind of weather keeps up through November, I think I'll cancel my display :(

Not ready for snow yet. I haven't even got the snowblower out of storage yet, the large pond fountain is still running (yes, I have to wade out and get it eventually-- it's running 24/7 right now so it doesn't freeze up), etc.

Bleah. Boo to this weather!

-Tim

WOW! nice photo Tim, i am jealous. but i understand how you must feel about putting up your display, i imagine we will have some nice weather between now and then. Even though i live in Indiana and dont get snow this early, i have already started, going to get my icicle lights on the very top of my roof hung this week just in case.

My backyard, as of about 10 minutes ago...

Doesn't that look so nice Tim!:) I know that is coming my way. They are calling for 1" here. I'm sure it will melt in a few days.

I have to get my Christmas lights up quick. They are in the garage ready to go but they are sitting where I put my lawn tractor for winter. I use that to plow the driveway.

Even though i live in Indiana and dont get snow this early

I've lived in MN since 1994 and we never have, either... In fact, I don't recall significant snow before mid-November. Everyone here talks about the "Halloween Blizzard of 1991" where they got a few feet on Halloween, and that was really an anomaly, such that people still talk about it almost 20 years later...

Not ready for snow yet. I haven't even got the snowblower out of storage yet, the large pond fountain is still running (yes, I have to wade out and get it eventually-- it's running 24/7 right now so it doesn't freeze up), etc.

Bleah. Boo to this weather!

-Tim

The other bad thing about the weather is that I am now more ready for snow than I am Christmas since I spent the weekend doing chores (like a pond) that I used to be happy with if I got them done by Halloween. I guess Columbus Day is the new Halloween here!

TIm, I so miss the snow. Send some my way. As far as Minnesota getting snow before mid November it did used to happen frequently. I can remember my junior and senior year of high school marching in the Halloween parade in snow up to our knees. At least they cleared the road for the parade.

Sure looks awesome.

Marilyn

I can ship some your way if you'd like ... we only had flurries here... all weekend though. I know what you are all talking about ... it certainly makes it easier to 'get in the mood' for Christmas when there is a beautiful layer of the "white stuff" outside. Gotta start soon though......

What is really funny is the local news station does a contest every year. If you guess when the first snowfall of the year is, you win a snoblower. They haven't even started the contest yet!:D

What is really funny is the local news station does a contest every year. If you guess when the first snowfall of the year is, you win a snoblower. They haven't even started the contest yet!:D

there is nothing lower than a snob!!!

Yeeeeesch,

I just took down the wifes blowmolds, from the garage for Halloween, and she wants to include a snowman...It's about to warm back into the 50s this weekend...Time to build the choir loft on Sunday! Hope the weather folks are correct this time...

Lee

Nothing like early snow to wake us up, and get things going

Sheesh..

I'm going back out to work on my tan.

arizona_pool.jpg

High Temp Yesterday: 93. Forcast High Today: 93. What you talkin about snow? :giggle:

Please send it here. I was just outside watering and weeding around the plants and I'm sweating from being out there.

Ya know, nobody really wants to hear from you guys!!!

I can relate to Bob, just did the same thing this evening. If we don't break this heat wave and get some rain, I'm going to have to paint my lawn green before I set up the display this year.

Some of us paint it white, to make it look like snow. Amagine that

'Warm up into the 50s'?

That's warming up?

I went to Florida in January one year and all of the people that were swimming in the ocean with me were all from the states that bordered with Canada. I heard from the locals that 70 degrees was too cold.:rolleyes:

Up here, 50 is still T-shirt weather.:P

My backyard, as of about 10 minutes ago...

Oh my... Looks like the snow caught some of your trees by suprise and they havent dropped their leaves yet. Wow its so hard to imagine its even going into autumn being in Florida. Its been stiffling hot. 93 degrees tieing all time October records, we even had an afternoon sea breeze based thunderstorm yesterday which is mostly unheard of down here past about middle september. Nights are staying balmy warm with high humidity and night lows of about 77 degrees. The only way to tell this isnt August is the daylight is about an hour or more a day shorter then it would have been a couple months ago. We are talking steamy summertime style humidity, double pane windows fogged over and dripping with condensation all over the window with inside a/c set only to about 75 degrees. The good news is they say this coming weekend, Saturday night will plunge down to about 59 to 60 degrees. That should have 80% of Floridians wearing their winter warmest, 5 layers including sweaters and coats, ear muffs and gloves, hehehe.

Our droughts in Florida ended this summer, we had a early starting summer rainy season and it lingered later then should have, summer rains still going on in places, but Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico is in one of the worst droughts in several decades. Supposedly the el nino is blowing all the Yucatan rainforest rains over into Florida and we may have a very warm and wet winter if this indeed turns out to be a super el nino like we had in 1997/1998.

Edited by Joseph Ayo