Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
iowasantaclaus

Hey all you Iowans

Wow, you guys have A LOT of channels!! The problem is I can envision everything to do with more channels than I have, but have a hard time envisioning a show with only the channels I do have.:confused:

Wow, you guys have A LOT of channels!! The problem is I can envision everything to do with more channels than I have, but have a hard time envisioning a show with only the channels I do have.:confused:

Susie,

Unlike this year, I usually have my plans of what my yard will have in it done by September. (this year that came in late October) Then I pick the music I like and start listening to it over and over and over hundreds of times while envisioning what my lights will be doing. I've always been a daydreamer so this is easy for me. Then when I get to the actual sequencing it's so embedded in my brain it just goes together, although not easily.:rolleyes: I struggle a lot and change up a lot of things along the way.:( This is my 7th year with LOR and if anything I've learned to keep it simple and not to try and follow every beat. People love the music and the lights are just an added bonus!:)

Later!

James

Thanks for the advice James. I'm not sure this is a good hobby for a perfectionist.

Actually it is. This year I feel rushed and will be shortcutting some things but in the past it had to be perfect to me. Even if no one else could tell that that light was two inches off the straight line it was intended to be on. The thing is you can be as picky as you want. Just leave enough time for redos as it will take time for your own brand of perfection.:D Most of all enjoy the process, learn from it all and enjoy the joy you give people from all your hard work and talent.:santasmileyitty:

James

I don't know if any of you Iowans have heard the commercial for the led light rebate from Alliante Energy. Seems that they have a $5 rebate for every set of led lights you buy with the energy star rating. Suppose to be able to find info at Alliant Energy website backslash holiday rebate. Just thought I let you know if you haddnt heard it. $5 of a set would make them really affordable.

fellow iowan here!! hope its ok i join in- i just have a mr christmas this year. i am in the very very north west corner of iowa inwood to be exact. i am about 1 hour from spencer and have relatives there. my son lives in des moines. so i at least know where some of you are in our great state. i really really want to do the LOR lighting but my daughter got married in sept this year so there went all my extra $$!! i hope to get my LOR next year. this year i am having fun with my mr christmas, building things that can be used with lor next year. good luck to everyone putting up lights in our ever changing weather!!

Wow getting to be a bunch of us Iowans on here I know there are several more that have not chimed in from Iowa. I have a Mr. Christmas also but have no time with my Santa business to put out the lights so we just enjoy everyone elses in our travels.

Well I got some lights hooked up to 3 LOR controllers so im slowly making progress.. I am not sure how or when I'll be able to get everything else going though as I am always busy during the week and wet weather is suppose to be coming this week sadly! Still going to keep updates going though.. tested the LEDs with LOR and they look good!

Well, I've got just over 20,000 up. Need to add another outlet then I can finish up. As far as LED's go, they may use less energy but I can't see spending a couple grand on the amount I would need. Mini lights and c9's all the way!

Well, I have almost one of three songs done. I will be out Fri.- Sunday putting out the rest of my stuff and getting it all wired. Then I will be inside the rest of the week timing & timing and... It's also supposed to be wet Monday all the way through next Saturday! I should be ok if I can find some dry weather to do some testing??

Hi to all. Live in Cedar Rapids and run about 128 channels. my brother lives in Jesup and runs 256 channels but downsized to 128 this year because of shoulder surgery. My display is up and will run tonight for a little group that gets together to see the first run every year. My brother will turn his on Thanksgiving night I believe.

Welcome mel4853 will have to make a trip to CR to check it out I'm just 40 mins south of you. Could I get address's to put in my tomtom to hunt you up. Thanks IowaSantaClaus (Michael)

It is 40 minutes from my driveway to his. Pushing the speed limit just a little. It is very easy to find but he is having a few problems still. I will post back if or when he gets it fixed. Might have to go up and give him a hand if I can find a little time. since your Santa I would like to ask for 48 hours in a day and I only need 2 hours of sleep.

Well last night after a day of decorating the yard we headed out to the Quad City to veiw the lights. We started out at James Peachee. He wasn't finished or up and running yet but it was a sight to see even in the dark. I also got to meet James who was a heck of a nice guy. His whole neighborhood is decorated for the most part. If you make it to James place check out the house down the street done in all blue leds wow is it blue. Next we visited a friends display in Pakview, Ia. Very nice diplay with some blowmolds, puffys and newer carosel and merry go round. Then it was off to The Snowmans place. The sign above the front door says it all. GRISWOLDS. This place is beyond belief. It lights up the whole neighborhood. The house is totally covered in lights. And of course the front door was open so the watch commander could keep an eye on the goings on. A beautiful dog was watching out the door as to say nothin happens on my watch. Snowman you did an awesome job. Wife and I took my mom along and she said you need more lights on the roof Snowman lol. James we will be back for a return visit . What a great night in the Quad Citys.

Well last night after a day of decorating the yard we headed out to the Quad City to veiw the lights. We started out at James Peachee. He wasn't finished or up and running yet but it was a sight to see even in the dark. I also got to meet James who was a heck of a nice guy. His whole neighborhood is decorated for the most part. If you make it to James place check out the house down the street done in all blue leds wow is it blue. Next we visited a friends display in Pakview, Ia. Very nice diplay with some blowmolds, puffys and newer carosel and merry go round. Then it was off to The Snowmans place. The sign above the front door says it all. GRISWOLDS. This place is beyond belief. It lights up the whole neighborhood. The house is totally covered in lights. And of course the front door was open so the watch commander could keep an eye on the goings on. A beautiful dog was watching out the door as to say nothin happens on my watch. Snowman you did an awesome job. Wife and I took my mom along and she said you need more lights on the roof Snowman lol. James we will be back for a return visit . What a great night in the Quad Citys.

Hey IowaSantaClaus!

It was sure nice meeting and talking to you. I'm sorry I wasn't up and running for your visit but hopefully when the luminary is going on in a couple of weeks you will pay us a visit again. If you were impressed by our neighborhood this time wait till you see it when this day comes, totally unbelievable. Let's just hope for no wind or rain.:D

You and your family are welcome anytime!

Have fun making people happy.:santasmileyitty:

Later!

James