Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
W Lewis

I need some advice, please

Don't know if this is the right place to ask for info, but I am desperate. I purchased some controllers from a member of planet christmas. My check cleared my bank over a month ago, but to date I have not received any controllers. I feel I have been more than patient, and need some advice on what to do next. Thanks for your input.

Have you tried to contact him?

Does he acknowledge you exist?

If he does not return your PM's, emails, etc, then the last thing you can do is contact the local District Attorney's office and see what they can do for you.

Theft is theft. Perhaps there are extenuating circumstances, but lacking other information, I would aggressively pursue this.

OR -- it could be that the seller is making sure that the check did not bounce.

Either way, you should attempt to contact him any way possible including registered mail/return receipt requested.

Good Luck. Hopefully, it is only a misunderstanding.

Edited by Dale W

At first he sent PM messages with always a reason he had not sent the items, but I haven't heard from him in about 2 weeks. That is when I started getting concerned.

This is sad... some peps on here give a bad name to all the others who sell. i would have used paypal. I have sold to several people and have made sure that i follow up and get the product out the door they day they pay. so sad...

The only way paypal would have helped is if he used his credit card to pay through paypal.

I would consider opening up a case with the FBI internet fraud complaint center. I've used it twice and I got my money back pretty quick after they were contacted.

http://www.ic3.gov

This is why I'd be wary of paying via check to someone I didn't have a pretty good relationship with here. At least with PayPal, you have some recourse...

Maybe you could call the local cops in his town and tell them you need a check done on the address you have. Welfare type of check. See if they are still there. And filing a small claims case against them requires you traveling to their home town. Thats a pain. But, me. i would personnally make a trip and collect my stuff, or have a ball bat ready. Maybe you should tell us who it is so that we do not try to buy, what you have already bought.

Thats one thing that chaps my butt, is a thief and a liar.

Have you looked up his screen name lately. It should tell you when the last time was that he logged into the system. Maybe he wasn't, which means he is in the hospital or maybe the jail. You just never know

Like, everyone else. I only pay by credit card. I have recourse then

Because you sent the check via US Mail, Mail Fraud is also an issue. The post office doesn't take kindly to strangers who commit mail fraud.

Explaining that (and the other legal things you'll be doing) generally gets a response. FAST.

FYI: Soon the 'it must be a mistake, there is no need to go all legal' people will make an appearance on this thread. Do not listen to them. Do what you need to do to protect your rights.

(....and here is ANOTHER reason that the 3 rules here need to be adjusted. )

I agree with all of the pursue every legal option advice above. To that I would add: talk with your bank. While intuitively it seems too late to "stop payment," if you fill out an affidavit can they reverse the charge? I especially liked the idea of getting the Postal Inspectors involved. They can be tenacious.

I would look into it....

And I would let everyone here know who it was...even if it does get deleted...at least a few people will see it and steer clear...

People that do this should not be tolerated here...

I just sent a pm to chuck smith about a "forum marketplace" where it is a feedback ratin system with a few rules added to it. I got the info from some of the aquarium sites I belong to as Im a tropical fish aquarist. I have done business with many people on here with paypal check or money order. I have been lucky to receive all my products on a timely manner. The last thing i got was from Chris L but it came at a bad time inthe middle of me paying him and him trying to send out the product was when his mother died. I told him to take as long as he had to because christmas wasnt close and even if it was the inflates dont go out till last so that the mice dont build nests in them. Another order I did with someone on here (forget his name but he will know who im talking about) i bought a bunch boxes of LEDS off him and the check came back to me in the mail and i had the product before he got my payment. I told him that it came back and verified the address and resent out the corrected letter the next day. I was so mad because i hate people waiting for my payment, here and on ebay as well. I alway pay right away.

In June, I purchased 3 controllers from SheuringC7C9 for $411 and never received them. Paid with a credit card through paypal, and filed a claim after 10 days, but was told by paypal they could not retreive the money. Go figure. Paypal is not what it is cracked up to be. I rarely use them anymore. I will settle my claim the next time I am in the North Carolina area near Littleton.

Fortunately, I could afford the loss, but many can not.

John Pfeiffer

In June, I purchased 3 controllers from SheuringC7C9 for $411 and never received them. Paid with a credit card through paypal, and filed a claim after 10 days, but was told by paypal they could not retreive the money. Go figure. Paypal is not what it is cracked up to be. I rarely use them anymore. I will settle my claim the next time I am in the North Carolina area near Littleton.

John Pfeiffer

If you used your credit card through paypal, you need to talk to your credit card company to get the help you need, not paypal. You need to call them right now. Paypal will only really protect you during an ebay transaction and that's only if the seller has the funds in their paypal account.

I think that you should get everyone that you can involved in your case. DA, postal inspectors, your bank, etc.

That person is probably trying to screw you over, you should not take that likely.

Edited by soks

If you used your credit card through paypal, you need to talk to your credit card company to get the help you need, not paypal. You need to call them right now. Paypal will only really protect you during an ebay transaction and that's only if the seller has the funds in their paypal account.

^^^^ this.

Paypal will almost NEVER help you. They have no incentive to do so. If they can get the money from someones account fine. Otherwise they will say 'too bad'.

If using Paypal, always fund with a credit card. When something bad happens, call your credit card company (actually, to protect your rights you need to send them a snail-mail letter), and forget PP.

Expect Paypal to close your account shortly after the chargeback, but at least you will get your money back.

John Pfeiffer

I know of him....he was supposed to come to the mini I had here in 2005 but never showed...

I think he did go to the last Carolina event...

I doubt the CC company could do anything now as it's been since June...don't they usually require it to be done in 90 days?

Was it these controllers that were for sale?

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=33764

If that is the one they have been around for a while...not a new person...

Given that info I would be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt and send them a letter and try and see what's going on before I let the dogs loose on them.

Maybe something has happened...or maybe not...they were online last end of Sept...

I would send a letter with a return receipt and give a couple days after they get it...if no response then unleash on them...

I doubt the CC company could do anything now as it's been since June...don't they usually require it to be done in 90 days?

Usually true, but a couple of times my CC companies have gone beyond that. It won't hurt to call. But the more time you wait, the less likely they are to help.

Case in point was my (not so)Superior Shed. For 6 months I tried to get them to come out and fix the damage they caused while delivering it. Finally I called up my CC and explained the situation. "No problem! We'll charge it back." was the answer. You would be amazed how fast a company gets around to fixing your problems when nearly $4K disappears from their bottom line.

Even if they say they will take care of it on the phone, follow up with a letter. The law (USA) explicitly states that you must notify the company IN WRITING.

Charge-backs and the $50 liability limit are the few remaining customer friendly reasons to have a credit card. Use them when needed.

^^^^ this.

Paypal will almost NEVER help you. They have no incentive to do so. If they can get the money from someones account fine. Otherwise they will say 'too bad'.

If using Paypal, always fund with a credit card. When something bad happens, call your credit card company (actually, to protect your rights you need to send them a snail-mail letter), and forget PP.

Expect Paypal to close your account shortly after the chargeback, but at least you will get your money back.

I will say that they came through for me on one ebay transaction I had. It was for around $80 and the seller had it in their account. I was able to get a full refund. I know others that filed a claim for items over $150 and the were only able to get about $.80 because that was all the seller had in their account. I almost never buy off of ebay anymore and if I do, I have around a $30 limit so I can't get burned too bad.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I sent him a certified letter requesting a return of my money or I would take further action. I received 3 of the 4 controllers today, he is repairing the 4th and will then send it. Believe me, after this ordeal, I will handle tranactions ALOT different.

It's unfortunate that some people are just NOT NICE. If only we could live in a world where everyone is on the up and up.

You should know that there are many people here who ARE honest, and awesome to buy from/sell to. I myself have done thousands of dollars worth of deals here (both as a buyer and a seller).

It is unfortunate that the rules here at PC make for a bit of a Pollyanna problem. Not being able to identify the bad dealers really makes PC more unsafe than it should be.

The next time, be sure to ask the person if they have done other deals here and with whom. Then follow up with those people. And DON'T be afraid to pull out the big guns if you have to.