Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
clenaghen

2009 Boise Area Displays

Thought I would get a thread started to start putting together a list of Boise area displays for the 2009 season. If you are planning to put together a display, static or computerized, feel free to reply and list your address so we all can find you and check out your work! Also, if you know of a good display that shouldnt be missed, list that address too.

I'll be upgrading my small display from 16 to 32 channels this year. Figuring on firing it up sometime soon after Thanksgiving. My address is 406 E. Halpin Dr. in Meridian.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I will be doing my display again this year! That is if I can get everything done! I will be over 400 channels this year!

Roger

My wife is recovering from some serious back surgery, and it may put a dent in my plans, but I will have something up by the beginning of December.

Hi Chris,

I will be doing my display again this year! That is if I can get everything done! I will be over 400 channels this year!

Roger

Roger -

Still would like to stop by some time and take a behind the scenes look at your setup. I talked to you last year a bit and I was never able to find some available time to contact you and set up a time. When you get closer to having your display set up (and have the time), let me know and I'll stop by if you dont mind...

My wife is recovering from some serious back surgery, and it may put a dent in my plans, but I will have something up by the beginning of December.

Hope all goes well with you and your wife! Let us know if you are able to get your display set up!

Roger -

Still would like to stop by some time and take a behind the scenes look at your setup. I talked to you last year a bit and I was never able to find some available time to contact you and set up a time. When you get closer to having your display set up (and have the time), let me know and I'll stop by if you dont mind...

No, I don't mind at all. Do you still have my number? If not PM Me and I will give it to you.

Sorry to here about your wife. I hope that she recovers quickly!

Good Luck with the setup! I stopped by last year and it looked GREAT!

Roger

Anyone do a Halloween display prior to their Christmas display? I am putting together a small setup for Halloween. This will be my first year of integrating my LOR system into a halloween display. Prior years I have put together some sound effects and lights that were all manual controlled, but this year I am taking advantage of my LOR setup and automating some of that. Will have some lightning effects and a singing pumpkin choir. Nothing fancy, but fun none-the-less.

Anyone do a Halloween display prior to their Christmas display? I am putting together a small setup for Halloween. This will be my first year of integrating my LOR system into a halloween display. Prior years I have put together some sound effects and lights that were all manual controlled, but this year I am taking advantage of my LOR setup and automating some of that. Will have some lightning effects and a singing pumpkin choir. Nothing fancy, but fun none-the-less.

Very small display. We do not get much traffic at all for Halloween or I would do a lot more! My twin boys were born on Halloween. We are still waiting to see if we were tricked or treated.;):giggle:

Thank you Chris!

I'm VERY Happy to see my Favorite displays actively planning and as eager as I am to get started decorating again.

Hey Roger... it is Renee... I also spoke to you last year and was supposed to come over -- I ran into the same problem of just not having enough time.

This year is going to be a little easier for me (hiring a crew to work--I just can't do it all again) and I would also LOVE to have a visit with you and see your creativity and engineering skills.... and even help you out a bit if you would like?

I'll look at my PM's and see if I still have your number.

Thanks all!

PLEASE don't be afraid to ask for help...

Circumstances as they are, I will be using a crew to set up the display I normally do. I am just going to "engineer" it and draw everything out.

--long story--

I hope your wife is doing well.

Thank you Chris!

I'm VERY Happy to see my Favorite displays actively planning and as eager as I am to get started decorating again.

Hey Roger... it is Renee... I also spoke to you last year and was supposed to come over -- I ran into the same problem of just not having enough time.

This year is going to be a little easier for me (hiring a crew to work--I just can't do it all again) and I would also LOVE to have a visit with you and see your creativity and engineering skills.... and even help you out a bit if you would like?

I'll look at my PM's and see if I still have your number.

Thanks all!

I would be glad to visit with you. Not sure about my creativity or engineering skills though. If you do not have my number PM me and I will give it to you again. I have already started some of my set up, but other plans keep getting in the way.:mad: Going to Vegas in the morning so I won't get anything done until next week now.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for the kind comments. She is improving day by day, but it is a long road back. This was her second major spine fusion in 6 months, as the first one was not successful. Long story, and a very costly one for our insurance company. Trying to work on projects that I can do inside the house, so I can be there for her.......... hope to start being able to get to some of the outside stuff fairly soon.

Roger, your display 2 years ago is what inspired me to get in to this crazy hobby!! Looking forward to seeing it again this year!!

Thanks,

Randy

PLEASE don't be afraid to ask for help...

Circumstances as they are, I will be using a crew to set up the display I normally do. I am just going to "engineer" it and draw everything out.

--long story--

I hope your wife is doing well.

This will be my first Christmas LOR display, assuming the LED lights I ordered in Feburary come in time (long story, different thread) ... working to finishing a small 32-channel display for Halloween, just to work out the kinks. Hope to have 64-channels for Christmas. 1821 N Longridge Pl, Eagle

This will be are 3rd year here, only 2nd with LOR. We have 48 channels 20000 + lights , mini mega (13') , 2 arches, minis, blow molds and more. This years theme is candy land. We started 2 weekands ago and still so much to do. Our houes is in Marsing ID. Our address is 108 patton st, just 1 block off of main street .Our back yard is on main st. so if you come through town you can see back of display to help find it. We would like to invite everyone to come buy and see. Best wishes and Happy Holidays

Sorry for getting to this thread late. My display is up and running. Up to 160 channels this year from 80 last year. 13 songs, up from 11. 4,200 feet of extension cord, etc etc.

4403 Keldoon Ave Boise -- up in the Highlands area of north Boise.

Runs 5:30-10:30 each night -- except tonight, all the rain tripped the GFI again and I don't want to get wet and muddy to reset it. Hopefully tomorrow. Happened once before and it is fixable.

Videos of some of the songs are out on www.vimeo.com. Just search for "Tuthill Christmas".

Hope to make it by and see some of the other in the valley.

Scott

This will be my first Christmas LOR display, assuming the LED lights I ordered in Feburary come in time (long story, different thread) ... working to finishing a small 32-channel display for Halloween, just to work out the kinks. Hope to have 64-channels for Christmas. 1821 N Longridge Pl, Eagle

FYI ... had to place a second order from another vendor to get my lights for this year, but was able to get it up and running. Not a big display, approx. 9,000 lights with 64 channels - all LEDs and only using about 2.5amps with all the lights on. Show runs 6-10pm weekdays, 6-11pm weekends. Listen to the music on 93.7fm.

Hoping to double it for next year...

Edited by eluttmann

Roger,

My wife and I made the rounds last night, and once again, your display was OUTSTANDING!!

Couple of quick questions about your display..........

Are you using the C-9 Retro's on your roof?

Where did you get your snowflakes (on the roof)?

Where did you get Red & Green icicles?

Due to lack of prep time, I was unable to put up a display this year, but plan to make a comeback for 2010. Thanks again for the inspiration!!

Randy

Hello everyone here in Idaho. I am planning my first year with computerized lighting in 2010. I have been reading the forums daily and learning a lot from the people who have been doing this for years. I am sure there will be many questions to come. I am glad I found the Idaho group. I live in the western part of the Treasure Valley right on the Oregon border. I have heard that there are a couple of people here who do the light shows but did not find any this year. I hope to get out next year and see some of the local shows. I will star with 16 channels. Any suggestions from any of you will be welcomed.

Thanks

Hello everyone here in Idaho. I am planning my first year with computerized lighting in 2010. I have been reading the forums daily and learning a lot from the people who have been doing this for years. I am sure there will be many questions to come. I am glad I found the Idaho group. I live in the western part of the Treasure Valley right on the Oregon border. I have heard that there are a couple of people here who do the light shows but did not find any this year. I hope to get out next year and see some of the local shows. I will star with 16 channels. Any suggestions from any of you will be welcomed.

Thanks

Welcome to PC! You have come to the right place to get your questions answered, but beware this is addictive!:P;) 16 channels is a good place to start. It will keep you from getting overwhelmed and give you a chance to learn how to sequence songs. Ask away!

Well since my last post in this thread I decided that 32 channels was the place to start. 16 just did not do what I wanted. 32 does not either but have a budget. I am nearly done with my second sequence using the demo soft ware for now. Have gotten a lot of information from many in P.C. I had a chance to meet Randy last week and did some light trading. Just bought all the things to make my three arches and will wrap them today. (with wife's help). I made a jig to hold the pvc and used Randy's idea how to make an attachment for my drill to turn them. Looking forward next year to go out and see all the displays in the valley.

Terry

This will be my second year, and I will be doubling what I had last year ... definately hooked now. Currently looking at purchasing some additional items, like snowfall lights.

For arches, I've gone with the sleeve concept and really like it. I use 1" black poly (sprinkler pipe) which I cut into smaller sections (in my case, I use 70ct strings on a one foot sleeve) - then I just slide the sleeves over gray conduit pipe to form the arch. I found it was super simple to wrap a single 1 foot section of pipe - did most of it in the living room while watching football. Last year I used 8 sleeves per arch, but this year I want to use 7 becuase I'm adding quite a few arches to the display and I needed to save a few channels, all I have to do is shorten the conduit pipe used to create the arch. They store much easier (mine are in storage boxes) and if one section fails I just replace the one section. I'm also planning to use these sleeves in firesticks in the future.

Up date. I wound up with three controllers from the sale so am now at 48 channels. Hoping to add more next year.

Last year I had 64 channels, I picked up 64 more channels at the sale this year (and, wow, they went fast this time!). I've more than doubled my lights and currently planning my show for next year - already thinking of purchasing a few more lights and trying to figure how I can squeeze out a few more channels. I'm thinking I might have to buy a couple more LOR units at the summer sale. Then thats it, no more (at least thats what I'm telling my wife =)