Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
soks

What's up with the snowglobe inflatables?

I'm wondering what's up with the gemmy snowglobes. I mean I understand that they stopped making them but why? Personally, I think that they are the most interesting out of the inflatables.

I also don't get why they are harder to find. I mean, I know that people list them on here, craigslist and ebay but they aren't as readily found as the regular kind of inflatables.

I didn't know they stopped making them, but I can offer my opinion on why they would:

1) Oversaturation. They made a ton of different ones, and they are no longer unique.

2) They're a pain to set up store, which is supposed to be an advantage of inflatables.

3) They don't work well in any climate that isn't sunny all the time. The either fog up, gum up, ice up, or some combination of the above. Some people were willing to go to great lengths to prevent this (installing heaters, bringing them inside every night, etc) but again that defeats the purpose of "just set it up and plug it in".

I had a couple inflatables but sold them all. They were cool when they worked, but virtually every globe I've driven by in the Twin Cities area (including mine) was not snowing properly and/or iced or fogged up.

-Tim

I use a Halloween version that is a major pain in the butt. Instead of "snow" it has little bats that fly around. The static electricity builds up and they all stick to the transparent ball section. The top seams are always coming loose, I'm repairing those all the time. Any moisture in the air and it fogs up.

I'd toss it but it's the fixture I use as my narrator in the Vincent Price section of Thriller.

I didn't know they stopped making them, but I can offer my opinion on why they would:

1) Oversaturation. They made a ton of different ones, and they are no longer unique.

2) They're a pain to set up store, which is supposed to be an advantage of inflatables.

3) They don't work well in any climate that isn't sunny all the time. The either fog up, gum up, ice up, or some combination of the above. Some people were willing to go to great lengths to prevent this (installing heaters, bringing them inside every night, etc) but again that defeats the purpose of "just set it up and plug it in".

I had a couple inflatables but sold them all. They were cool when they worked, but virtually every globe I've driven by in the Twin Cities area (including mine) was not snowing properly and/or iced or fogged up.

-Tim

I strongly agree with number three on the list. I bought a snowglobe the first year they came out. it was great until it rained. I took it in and let it dry out until it worked again. The when it was outside again, it got cold and the whole thing fogged up. I tried everything, even keeping it on all the time but nothing worked. Then I resorted to taking it in every night. That got old fast.

Edited by cozzi

I use a Halloween version that is a major pain in the butt. Instead of "snow" it has little bats that fly around. The static electricity builds up and they all stick to the transparent ball section. The top seams are always coming loose, I'm repairing those all the time. Any moisture in the air and it fogs up.

I'd toss it but it's the fixture I use as my narrator in the Vincent Price section of Thriller.

I have the hearse from Gemmy and the window fogs up and that makes me wonder because i got 3 new inflatables with little windows on them..

And your bat globe i seen one of those last night and i thought it was really neat. But i can't find it though and they said they got it at Walmart last year. I might look into that inflatable for next year.

Al of the 'snowing' and 'swirling' inflatables seem to have (eventually) some sort of issue with the blowing part. IMO the Halloween swirling bats/leaves ones never worked right. Good concept, bad/cheap design.

The snowglobes I really like a lot. I have never had the issues that others have had, at last not with the snowfall mechanics (knock on wood!). I have had the fogging, and quite honestly, unless you use it inside, you will have some sort of condensation problem in almost any climate.

The trick is to keep them warm and dry, and I certainly don't recommend a heater inside of these! Nylon and high internal hear don't mix! What I do is use a 150 waat flood light about a foot in front of it. Honestly, it really makes a cool effect and looks like it's "iced" even though I like in Texas.

This works on all of the globe/clear inflatables and if you've noticed, over the past two years, more and more of them come with a yard stake for precisely that purpose. The manufacturers are listening and learning from those of us who have had these for years! It's cheaper to put a flood holder in there than to handle returns!

I should also mention that the "snow" or tiny foam balls absorb moisture quickly and then they almost never dry out. That's what caused them to clump up and not "blow the snow". Gotta keep those lil suckers dry! The bats on the halloween ones were too big to go through the blower opening and once one backed up they all did. The fan blower also wasn't strong enough to keep them airborn very high (which is why you saw them just blowing 10 or so bats around at the bottom of the inflatable). And as was mentioned before, those bad boys had some really static problems!

~ Snow Globe Help ~

Condensation / Moisture

First lets deal with fogging and or condensation. Condensation is defined as a film of water droplets

Thomas-- that post just hilights my point perfectly. Too much work for something that's supposed to be "stake up, plug into a timer, and forget until January". Condensation is not a defect, but having it affect the enjoyment of a product is. And I'm not willing to run a 200W inflatable 24/7 to avoid this. Since the rest of my display runs only 5 hours (and thanks to LOR, most lights much shorter than that), that would be a significant chunk of my electric bill-- just for one device.

I would also argue that you shouldn't have to retrofit floodlights, etc. to supplement poor lighting from the factory, but that's just me...

Not saying that these are "bad" or that others shouldn't use them, just that I'm not willing to put up with the hassles of them -- and if Gemmy's discontinuing them, I'm guessing I'm not alone.

-Tim

I strongly agree with number three on the list. I bought a snowglobe the first year they came out. it was great until it rained. I took it in and let it dry out until it worked again. The when it was outside again, it got cold and the whole thing fogged up. I tried everything, even keeping it on all the time but nothing worked. Then I resorted to taking it in every night. That got old fast.

But why should the rest of us who do live in sunny climates have to suffer? ;-)

Guys, there is a simple reason why product X is discontinued:

It no longer makes the company a profit (or enough of a profit).

Tim can be the president of the He-man Inflatable Haters Club. :P

I don't hate them :) The snowglobes just don't work well in this clime, at least for the effort I want to put into them, so I got rid of mine.

I've stopped buying other inflatables as well, since recent years have brought rain, then freezing temps, which turns them into a mass of heavy fabric without a prayer of inflating properly. They also don't do well after a heavy snowfall.

I still use a number of them in the display, thought. I have the original Snowman from the first year they came out, a PC Santa (although it's getting pretty bad and might have to be retired soon), a large 12' snowman we put in the back yard, and a couple 4' ones that I need to figure out what to do with since they don't do well in the snow (they are marketed as 'indoor' ones but I've always used them outdoors)

Home depot has them with the new more powerful blower....i picked up my 5th one, always love them in "sunny texas"!

You can also buy them online @ homdepot.com

My problem wasn't static -- it was moisture. And as noted above, once they get wet, they are really hard to dry out. I had mine sitting under the deck for a couple months, and when I brought them into the garage, I had it inflated for 48 hours straight and it didn't even begin to dry out. I ended up sticking a hairdryer in and blowing the pellets around until they dried out somewhat.

Im not sure why so many people have problems with their globes. Im in eastern PA, I leave them inflated constantly in any snow ice or heavy rain. I have 19 inflates together so im not bringing in my globe because its usually at least 2-300 feet away from the house and in a snowstorm im not lugging it back and forth. Mine fogs a little bit but not often. Not even the whole plastic. I do have some some pellets that stick but i just tap the plastic lightly and they fly off. As for rips in the plastic, only had 2 small ones and clear packaging tape does the job. Mine get full sun from around 8am-3pm