We All Fall Down......

Hi again....

I was wondering, how do you all keep your toy soldier blowmolds from falling over. I really didn't want to drill them full of holes or anything, but I may may drill a small 1/2" hole in the bottom of each and stake them, the way I do my candles and street lamps. I take a small piece of metal pipe ( about 2' long or so ) hammer it in the ground about halfway, then slide the mold over it. But like I say I'm not sure how to go about it so I'll ask up here.

Thanx in advance

Guest A.F.NUT

I slide molds over the posts if they have a hole cut in them. On my soldiers I found that the best way is to put a post in the ground and use a zip tie around the legs to the post a white tie blends and they dont budge! Tom

I have mine fixed to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood. I drill a hole in the centre of the plywood, and a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom of the blowmold (if there is not a small hole already) and put a toggle bolt through the plywood and the bottom of the mold, tighten it down. I them position the mold where I want it and put 4, 6 inch spikes throgh the corners of the pylwood into the frozen Canadian turf. They don't move !

To keep molds from falling over, I use a lot of bricks, pebble stones, and sand bags. I personally do not put sand into a blow mold, if it gets wet, it sticks to the inside of the mold causing an ugly shadow. I fill zip lock bags with sand and insert those. I can remove them and reuse them as well. But I never really ever remove the sand bags from my blow molds. Bricks or pebble stones work very well too, it just depends on how large the mold is and its shape. I don't recommend using picture wire to hold your blow molds from falling over because that wire will evenually rust in time. Nor do I recommend any kind of wire to be used on your blow molds as that will cause a wire rust smudge or indent into your blow molds. And one last point, please don't use rebar as the rebar will rust and you will have rusting all over your blow molds inside the plastic. I would recommend using wood pieces instead of rebar to hold them down. I learned the hard way using rebar and wire. Not good. Following these procedures will make your blow molds display a much greater and beaufiful look and keep them from falling over.

To keep molds from falling over, I use a lot of bricks, pebble stones, and sand bags. I personally do not put sand into a blow mold, if it gets wet, it sticks to the inside of the mold causing an ugly shadow. I fill zip lock bags with sand and insert those. I can remove them and reuse them as well. But I never really ever remove the sand bags from my blow molds. Bricks or pebble stones work very well too, it just depends on how large the mold is and its shape. I don't recommend using picture wire to hold your blow molds from falling over because that wire will evenually rust in time. Nor do I recommend any kind of wire to be used on your blow molds as that will cause a wire rust smudge or indent into your blow molds. And one last point, please don't use rebar as the rebar will rust and you will have rusting all over your blow molds inside the plastic. I would recommend using wood pieces instead of rebar to hold them down. I learned the hard way using rebar and wire. Not good. Following these procedures will make your blow molds display a much greater and beaufiful look and keep them from falling over.

I agree with most of what you have posted, Thomas, and you bring up some good points and information. But with all due respect, I do use rebar and have been for many years (at least 25 years possibly more). I highly recommend rebar. I do not have rust stains all over my molds, neither inside or out and on the few that had a slight smudge at the end of the season, it simply wipes right off. Perhaps you were using some other kind of rebar that caused you a problem? Because so far, I haven't found anything to compare.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Since I live where the humidity is very high usually I think the rebar might be a bit more rust prone, so I might just use some plastic tomatoe stakes , I think they are metal with plastic coating. So they won't rust. still not sure wether I want to drill a hole in there bottom or not... I'll probably zip tie them to it. I'll test one out in my backyard and see how it does like that... well as always thanks again guys