Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Lyman Rate

Ten Signs You Are Addicted

Guest showtime

Lol I have got 9 out of 10 only becouse we just bought are house 2 years ago:D.

Yes, I have been very busy on my Christmas display. I have to take advantage of the weather right now. Its all coming along great!

8 Out of 10

1. The Power Company will never give me a card because I have changed to 90% LED.

2. My wife would love to buy another house, but she has not found one that meets my "Christmas Light" criteria. (That is the truth!)

7 out of 10...

I shop at several Home Depots and Lowes and Menards. I'm not in any one of them too many times...

Our power company is too cheap to send out a thank you card.. They won't even give me bigger wires so that I can draw more...

I haven't been caught talking about Christmas while sleeping.However i have fallen asleep while doing Christmas sequencing...

The first thing I thought of when we moved was is this property going to be big enough for my display. Luckily we have the biggest lot in town and should not run out of space anytime soon. I laughed so hard when I read that one. When you love Christmas and have a big display the size of the house and yard definatly come into play when moving.

8 out of 10, The electricty company would never send me a thank you card, since I'm only 13. And they don't know my name at lowes or home depot... But they do at canadian tire :-)

And yes, we did move because the house wasn't big enough for my lights! :D

Edited by candylandman
spelt cars, instead of card :-)

9. Not unless my name is crazy christmas dude.

5. I snore too much to talk in my sleep.

4. I want to see your thank you letter.

1. Not this year maybe next.

Greg

I tried a rap song a while back just to see if I could do it.... didn't come out too bad. I sequenced Eminem "Slim Shady"

I am a regular at Home Depot and Lowes. I am usually in there early summer with some hair brain idea and they know me by name in the Hardware, Lumber, Electrical and Plumbing sections. I know them by name too and know when they have a new hire.

As for Clark Griswold, I can't say that I have a display that is bigger, brighter, or better than the one in the movie, but he doesn't do a 1/4 of what some of you do here in the PC community!!

I have my computer with over 3,000 christmas songs on it, 8 DVD's with about 4,000 songs on each and I listen to it almost year around.

I've driven by many houses commenting "Perfect... too small... not enough lawn... etc...etc"

I've been caught talking about channels, lights, songs, humming in my sleep many many times...

Years ago when I did a large display for my parents (40,000 lights out in the country) They recieved a letter from Kansas Power Light Co... Thanking them for being good patrons and also had a $25 gift certificate to Furrs (buffet style restaurant)

I've seen many displays that you need sunglasses for.. and that is just awesome!!!

LED, Incadescent, CFL... too many to name... if you start naming styles

Last one I haven't had to do yet as I rent an apartment. but when I look I start with the important things: Lawn size, house size, power capabilities.... then # of rooms... gotta have them in the right order!

Edited by XtremeDisplays

7 out of 10. We did sell our trailer and bought a house with 4 acres and frontage on two streets. Gotta love those corner lots. But now I want the 46 acres on the other corner!!!:giggle: Need to build a bigger storage barn!!!:eek:

Who is Clark Griswold? Did they use his display in Deck the halls? Or...?

Hard to believe that someone on PC does not know who Clark Griswald is.;)

post-8876-129571159351_thumb.jpg

From Christmas Vacation!

Hard to believe that someone on PC does not know who Clark Griswald is.;)

[ATTACH]24431[/ATTACH]

From Christmas Vacation!

Can someone send me a link for a clip on youtube? I'm sure I will recognize it :-)

Hers part one of the "List"

Your idea of a Friday night is a date with the Christmas Lights!

On Laundry day Blackout caps poor out of your pockets instead of Change!

You name your Inflatable

Part 2

When you talk about Christmas all year long and count down 'till Christmas in July.

When your neighbor makes an extra trip around the circle just to see your house!

When you

Part 3

When you start laying out the next years display when you turn on this years display.

When you are so busy checking stores for lights and reading the PC chatroom that you forget to send in your video for the world wide display contest. The video was taken by a television station in another town and is better than anything you can do.

When standing in line at a Restaurant, you notice the tree has a few lights out. You say something to the waitress about it. She informs you that they know but have no spare bulbs. You of course have just the right kind of spare bulbs on you because you read on this thread about others having spare bulbs on them...think that is a good idea...and start carrying a few. Though you are itching to get them fixed and would gladly do so yourself, you hand them to the waitress for someone there to fix because your significant other has already made the comment that he hopes no one gives us fruitcake for Christmas as he is already married to one. Then you start to wonder just how many lights it would take to make a fruitcake look good.

When you open your window and the only thing shinning thru all the flashing lights and Christmas decorations that you can see, is all the kids smiling faces. Then you know you are a true CLF.

You know your Dads a Christmas fanatic when:

He

Last part

When your cart at Target or Walmart or wherever is so full of cases of lights that people assume you work there and are restocking things.

When you keep trying to emphasize to the electrician that you seriously need LOTS of power available on the outside of your house... and plenty of GFCI outlets to accompany it.... but he/she doesn't quite understand just how much power you're going to need because they can't wrap their mind around the idea of needing 200 amps for holiday lights.

When the neighbors come to expect you out front of your house working on lights whenever they get home.

You walk into your Dentist's for an appointment and notice a window candle isn't working and you pull a spare bulb out of your pocket and fix it leaving astonished looks on all the secretaries

Part 2

Everytime you go outside (no matter what reason) you have do move something just slightly just to make it pervert! (Well at least in your eyes!)

Pervert or perfect?

If you meant perfect, what made you type that??:giggle:

Pervert or perfect?

If you meant perfect, what made you type that??:giggle:

Its 12 pages long, Copy paste, copy paste, copy paste LOL

No time to proof read