Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Weisswelsh

"Oblong things" on strings

Hi Everyone. Just a really quick question. I've been making my displays and noticed something odd about my red lights from LEDHolidayLighting. All of my 100 count M5 strings (blue, green,white) all have 2 "oblong" things on the ends and 2 "oblong" things near the center. I'm too lame to know what they are for. However, my 100 count M5 red lights don't have the 2 oblong things in the middle of the string. Is that a problem or just normal for Red?

Laurie

I've never attached a picture before, so this may not work. This picture shows the 2 oblong things on the green light set (100 ct M5). All of the blue, green and white sets have these in the center on the string and the ends of the string (total of 4). But all of my Red strings don't have the 2 in the middle (as shown in the picture.) Is that normal for red?

They are the rectifiers that convert AC to DC. The number and location of them vary from string to string. They have nothing to do with being able to dim the string.

Some strings have them in the plugs, others place them in-line. The number of them depends on the LED voltage and how many are in each series.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Chuck, thanks so much for explaining that to me. I hooked up the light set to a controller box and they dimmed just fine, just as you said they would. :)

I'm learning something new everyday :)

Again, thanks for your help.

Laurie

I'm not saying all LEDs can be dimmed without damaging them. I'm just saying those "oblong things" don't indicate that they can or cannot be dimmed in and of themselves.

Laurie,

I have to ask you something. I also have LEDs from LED Holidays. At the male plug end, is there a round can then the oblong thingy?

Chuck,

Steven posted about a week ago that he cracked open on of the oblong things and he found a resistor inside. This would be the current limiting or voltage dropping resistor. The rectifier was a can just after the male plug. The can is about .75" dia and about 1" long. I have only the 70 ct strings. I suppose that the 100 ct might be slightly different. I also wonder about her oblong warts? Mine have 1 wire at one end and two at the other. According to Steven on the two wire side. One wire goes to the bottom of the resistor. At the other end, the second bottom wire goes to the top of the resistor and the one top wire also goes to the top of the resistor.

Chuck,

Steven posted about a week ago that he cracked open on of the oblong things and he found a resistor inside. This would be the current limiting or voltage dropping resistor. The rectifier was a can just after the male plug. The can is about .75" dia and about 1" long. I have only the 70 ct strings. I suppose that the 100 ct might be slightly different. I also wonder about her oblong warts? Mine have 1 wire at one end and two at the other. According to Steven on the two wire side. One wire goes to the bottom of the resistor. At the other end, the second bottom wire goes to the top of the resistor and the one top wire also goes to the top of the resistor.

Well, there are "rectifiers" and then there are "rectifiers". I think some manufacturers really just have mini power supplies to boost the voltage. They throw a capacitor in there to help prevent flicker rather than an actual "rectifier" (a full-wave bridge of 4 diodes.)

Either method probably works as well as the other.

I was not an EE in college. As long as my lights don't flicker or catch on fire I really don't care what they do. ;)

Laurie,

I have to ask you something. I also have LEDs from LED Holidays. At the male plug end, is there a round can then the oblong thingy?

Hi Max-Paul,

Yep, there is also a can-shaped thing right before the oblong item. Such technical terms I'm using. :)

Laurie