My new tree topper

This is a new tree topper I'm trying this year. I bought the Mega Tree Kit from Darryl at ChristmasLightShow.com. I like to make my decorations a bit unique, so I decided to make my own tree topper. I like snow, so this tree topper would be a snowflake.

Here's the parts list:

• Philips Cool White LED snowflake (42 in. height)
  • 10-foot 3/4" White Sch 40 PVC
  • 3/4" female x 1/2" threaded male White PVC Adapter
  • 3/4" 4-way PVC cross
  • 3/4" PVC end caps (3)
  • 8" white zipties (12)

The snowflake is intended for hanging on a solid surface, aka the house. I like the design, but it was way too flimsy to hang on the tree, let alone mount at the top.

PVC backing seemed a good choice. I considered a 1/2" threaded metal rod, but needed cross-supports. In addition, I didn't like the idea of threaded rod against the entire back of the snowflake, as I didn't want the threads to potentially cut the wiring in the snowflake.

Pictures attached.

Very cool. I have one of the kits too having problems finding the 10' x 1 1/2 black metal water pipe in my area though:(

I couldn't find black metal pipe in 1.5" width either. Had to go with what was available: galvanized steel. I'm considering coating it before putting it down this year.

At least I could find 1.25" black metal pipe for the tree pole.

You mean the 1 1/4 for the main pole? Yeah I thought about using the black pipe for the main pole and the galvanized for the stand but wondered if it would be visible.

Yep, main pole is black. That is what seems to be most visible, so the poles for the base weren't that important to be black. I'll have other stuff on the ground around them (i.e. wireframe "gifts" with interior lights). Haven't seen it yet, but am expecting it to be fine.

Anyone know if the galvanized it more expensive then the black water pipe? Just wondering how much everything else cost some of you. I did some figures and was coming up with a extra 200 dollars after the cost of the kit. Does that sound about right? By the way I love the topper looks pretty awesome.

Anyone know if the galvanized it more expensive then the black water pipe? Just wondering how much everything else cost some of you. I did some figures and was coming up with a extra 200 dollars after the cost of the kit. Does that sound about right? By the way I love the topper looks pretty awesome.

Maybe I'm not being cost-effective, but I've exceeded that after my tree kit. The galvy pipe was $130 and the other pipe and PVC was over $100.

I got my 10'x 1 1/4 at Lowes it was about $25 then I used pvc for the stand. The tree is going to be guyed in three places so it's hopefully not going anywhere.

SPaschall

Heh, welcome to Seattle -- the land of inflated prices. My 10'x1.25" water pipes at Lowes were $35. I've been able to accurately budget by taking prices I read on the forums and adding about 25-35% markup.