Shortening LED Light Strings

Is it possible to shorten an LED light string and attach another plug so that I can turn a 50 count string into two 25 count strings? If so, do I need to add a resistor or any other component to the new strings?

I want to replace the regular bulbs (C7) in my blow mold decorations with a string of LEDs. I've got lots of 50 count LED strings and hate to go out and buy smaller strings if I can just adapt the ones that I have.

I'm also thinking of using LEDs in my ceramic buildings instead of the C7 bulbs that came with them. Any suggestions as to how I could go about doing that? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

You can most likely split a string of LEDs between series. You'd have to inspect the line to see where the break is. If the line is a single series, you won't be able to cut it, though.

As for your buildings, you'll probably have to find an LED replacement bulb and not be able to just cut one off a string by itself.

A 50-lamp LED string is likely not splittable - at least not without adding a seriously large ballast resistor.

Unfortunately, unlike mini lights were there are really only 2 standards of consequence (2.5 and 3.5V bulbs - and you can alway stell which it is by just counting), there are not yet "standard" configurations of LEDs - every manuafacturer makes their own decisions on how their strings are put together. That makes doctoring LED strings trickier since you have to study the string to see how it's really put togher to figure what you can and cannot do.

1st by taking some basic electrical and electronic classes. You need to know "Ohm's law" and basic D.C. and A.C. principles. Just asking a general question here about something that is so in depth and expecting a simple answer, is not possible.

But I will tell you a few things. I did convert a 35 lamp spiral tree from filiment to LED. And I was not thinking thing through, and was in for a surprise.

First, LEDs are polarized so they all have to go in the same way. 2nd depending on what colors you use, the current limiting resistor value will change. Now if you want to do multi colors you need to keep track of how many whites, reds, blues and so on. Can you solder? Do you know what a bridge rectifier is and how to correctly hook it up? Can you do Ohm's law? Are you familiar with peak voltage vs RMS?

I forgot to take into account that my volt meter was reading RMS, but my ohms law needed to be based on peak voltage. So, my LEDs were drawing more that the quoted 20mA max. I made adjustments to the value of the current limiting resistor so that I am now down to 18mA. But again you need to convert the mA reading on your meter to take in account the RMS value to reflect the peak value. Oh, and you do know about Watt's law also so that you can get the right watt rating on your resistor, right? Otherwise you could vap you resistor if you try to use say a 1/8 watt resistor..

You need to do some reading and learning if you want to mess with electronics. Aint something you just solder up..