Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
tfischer

Official Minnesota Mini thread

OK, lets make this official:

The "OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL FALL 2009 MINNESOTA/TWIN CITIES LIGHTING ENTHUSIASTS GATHERING (aka MN Mini 2009.2)

When: Sunday November 1, starting at 1pm.

Where: The Fischer residence, 16700 33rd Ave N, Plymouth, MN

Who: You, assuming you want to make the trip, like hanging out with lighting geeks, and want the chance to hopefully learn some tips to improve your display.

Costs: 'Admission' is free. If you'd like to bring a snack to share during the gathering (chips/cookies/bars/whatever) that would be welcome. If you'd like to stay for dinner (that is, the evening meal) feel free to also bring a side dish, we'll come up with some sort of main entree (burgers, sloppy Joes, what not, nothing too fancy). Don't feel you *have* to bring something to come/stay.

Agenda: Very informal. We'll probably just hang out and talk. If you have display items/controllers/techniques/etc. there will be plenty of time for that. If you have videos/pictures/whatever to show, we can do that too. Basically we're going to informally 'hang'.

Vikings/Packers game: Oh, that... When the game starts (3:15) we can throw it up on the big TV, but hopefully keep the Christmas talk going as well.

RSVP: If you're planning on coming, please respond to THIS thread, or email me at w e b m a s t e r <a t> f i s c h e r s p l a c e <d o t> c o m so we can have some sebance of an idea of who is coming. Note: If you're reading this on a forum other than PC or CC, please RSVP on one of those two forums, or email me, as I'm not monitoring threads elsewhere. If you decide to come at the last minute, that's fine too, but advance notice is appreciated.

To those with schedule conflicts: Sorry 'bout that, but this late in the season it's hard to find the 'perfect' day. Feel free to come/leave when necessary. I have another meeting here in Plymouth at 7pm that I need to lead, so I'll be leaving no later than 6:30 and maybe a bit earlier. The rest of you can stay as long as my wife doesn't throw you out :)

Feel free to post this elsewhere. The more, the merrier...

Edited by tfischer

I'll be there Tim pretty much right at one. As usual with a 2 hour drive home I may cut out a little early.

I'll pick up a plate of snacks too. Ball game type food.

Can't make it Tim. I'll be on the roof pounding to at least get the C-7's on the roof line and of course listening to the game on the outside speakers. A chilly 42 but some sun it sounds like. And I know you don't want to hear it but a 31-24 Packer win. Hope you get a good turn out.

Lenny

My wife Angela and I are a possible, currently she's 8 months pregnant and we have several things already on this weekend, so it's really going to depend how tired she is.

-Erik

Tim,

I live about a mile away -- and will try to be there, but I've got a really heavy afternoon with family...

Thanks for hosting it!

-dave

Hi Dave-

Do you do a display, or are you planning to? I'm always interested in seeing the 'local' displays. Maybe I've driven by yours and not known it :)

Hope you can make it, at least part of the time.

-Tim

Tim-

You wouldn't happen to be able to estimate how far your home is from Des Moines would you?

I asked Google Maps for directions from my address to Des Moines (with no address) and it said "253 mi

Hi Dave-

Do you do a display, or are you planning to? I'm always interested in seeing the 'local' displays. Maybe I've driven by yours and not known it :)

Hope you can make it, at least part of the time.

-Tim

In the past I've been all static lights and have been pretty much "under the radar," so to speak... This year a lot more going on, FM transmitter, more lights, no inflatables or "zones" for different themes because the width of my front limits that (huge back yard, but nobody'd see it except the neighbors). I'm between Vicksburg and Fernbrook on about 46th, on the north side of Hwy 55.

I'll sure try to come if even for a little bit. I invented a wireless adapter for Renard controllers this year and some folks may have an interest in that... Who knows?!?!?

-dave

In the past I've been all static lights and have been pretty much "under the radar," so to speak... This year a lot more going on, FM transmitter, more lights, no inflatables or "zones" for different themes because the width of my front limits that (huge back yard, but nobody'd see it except the neighbors). I'm between Vicksburg and Fernbrook on about 46th, on the north side of Hwy 55.

I'll sure try to come if even for a little bit. I invented a wireless adapter for Renard controllers this year and some folks may have an interest in that... Who knows?!?!?

-dave

I've probably walked by your house! I did a lot of dog-walking over the past years with our previous 2 goldens... I've been at our current home since 2002 and lived off of Fernbrook and Rockford Road for 6 years before that, so I walked all over the area... Our last golden (in my avatar) died this past August, and our new puppy isn't quite up for long walks yet, but soon he'll be my now walking buddy :)

Hope to see/meet you on Sunday. Would love to have another computerized display in Plymouth- if nothing else to make me look less crazy ;)

-Tim

Tim,

Please add 2 more to your list to attend the MN Mini 2 this coming Sunday.

We are way behind getting things done this fall as I remade all new larger 16 mini trees, added 5 ft to the height of our Mega tree with all new LED lights. Added a Marty Fan, 18 more PC LOR controllers which needed to be built and installed in panels, new icicle lights in 4 colors, rebuilt all 5 arches, added 3 light poles, & etc, & etc, actually redid everything which always takes longer then planned. Haven

Tim,

I'm looking forward to coming on Sunday, even if it's just for a little while. I'm hoping to tap into some of the energy that everyone brings. Thank you for the invitation.

Tim,

Please add 2 more to your list to attend the MN Mini 2 this coming Sunday.

We are way behind getting things done this fall as I remade all new larger 16 mini trees, added 5 ft to the height of our Mega tree with all new LED lights. Added a Marty Fan, 18 more PC LOR controllers which needed to be built and installed in panels, new icicle lights in 4 colors, rebuilt all 5 arches, added 3 light poles, & etc, & etc, actually redid everything which always takes longer then planned. Haven

Tim,

Angela and I want to thank you for hosting this, we had a great time. Good food, good company. It's always nice to get ideas for future projects. I loved the wash board and the portable panel that were shown off.

-Erik

Yes, I was also unable to attend, but did get the outline done on the roof of the house with the C7s, which is always tough to do with snow on the roof. Todays weather was too nice not to work on the display. Last year I went to the Mini and enjoyed myself, but my assistant was not pleased when the weather turned foul the next weekend when the work had to be done...Peace @ home and a major start to the display...Missed you all...

Hope you had a great time

Lee

I just want to publicly thank everyone for coming. Thanks for your company, your time, your food, and your ideas... It's always great meeting with fellow enthusiasts, which is why I wanted to make sure we got together for something yet this year. Hopefully I can get some pics posted soon.

Hopefully everyone feels like I do -- that they've recharged their desire to go out and get their displays set up!

Thanks Tim and Cathy for hosting today's MN Mini.

It was nice to see everyone. This was the booster shot that I needed to get my display up for this year. Here are my pictures.

post-9606-129571163215_thumb.jpg

post-9606-129571163229_thumb.jpg

post-9606-129571163238_thumb.jpg

post-9606-129571163247_thumb.jpg

post-9606-129571163254_thumb.jpg