1/2 LED string is out, Fix??

Hi all,

I have a set of LED c-5 or 6. They may be from Lowes or Target, but I'm pretty sure they are Philips.

They worked last season, and just the other day when I tested them. Now all of the sudden, exactly half is out. How can I find and fix this??

Oh, I have them on a 1" X 1" frame for the windows. It was stored and moved safely,

Thanks

Tim

Max, True, it is the kind the bulbs can pop out. yes there is rust on the connection pins on about half , half of the out section. I tried to scrape and clean , but wasnt great, nor did I do every single one.

Shall I keep on cleaning them?

T

I'll dido what Jeremy said. Keep cleaning but be careful of the leads. I have many times said that you have two options with the removable LEDs. You can keep your fingers crossed that they dont rust. Or you can buy some of the dielectric grease and put a dab in each socket. This grease does not conduct but fills the voids and keeps the water out and away from the contact/leads. Frankly I would do my best to clean them all then fill them withe the above mentioned grease. And just in case you or anyone else reading this post do not recognize this dielectric grease. Its the stuff that an electrician would put on an Alum / copper connection.

Hi Soks,

You have been very busy posting this past month I see. I might be wrong, but I am going to take a wild guess. Each of the fuses are connected to the two wires coming out of the plug. So if either fuse is blown, then none of the string will light up. Here the problem is that only one half of the string is lit. Are you familiar with some of the cheaper LED strings that have removable lamps? They have a real bad tendency to rust out. Creating a high resistance connection. Dropping voltage to the point that the LEDs do not have enough voltage to cause them to light up. Thats if you are lucky enough that not one more of the leads have rusted off of the LED.

Edited by Max-Paul
  • 3 weeks later...

I have several strands of the c7 type LEDs that came from Costco two years ago that have this same issue. Half the strand is out. They are not removable bulbs. They are red and 100 per strand. Is there any way to fix the strand or os it destined for the trash? One string was working today and then I put it up and powered it, and after it was up only half the string was working. Frustrating! I went to LEDs to get away from this hassle!

If they can't be fixed can I at least cut the string in half and solder the plug on the end and have a string of 50?

tekcor.... i've done that for wireframes but you have to make sure it's exactly in half or the lights will get too much voltage and burn out...

I have the same problem with my phillips lights... so much that i had 6 strings half out so i cut off the bad halfs and spliced all the good ones together to make 3.... lame-

As to where you can get the dielectric grease. I have not looked for it at HD or Lowes, but would suspect that you might be able to get it there. Look in the electrical department. Ask the sale person (Good luck) if they carry the electrical grease to put on copper aluminum joints. Some also know it at No-Ox grease. If they do not have it. Go to your yellow pages and look up electrical contractor supply or Electrical supply. Some well known names such as Butler, Grainger, and ect.