HELP with LEDS

Guest brianchan23

The lite keeper pro, or any other "zapper box" will NOT work with LEDs. sorry.

Are they sealed LEDs or ones that push into the sockets? Though even the push in kind all other lights will stay lit if you remove one, I think...

That's the trouble with LEDs, they either work, or they don't...

they are the ones with the sockets....first half work and last 1/4 work for some reason section in between there doesnt work. Using for a mega tree and dont want to put up and have them go out may have to replace the hole strand.:mad:

I agree the replaceable bulbs were a bad idea. I purchased several hundred from JC Penny at 90% off, they worked great the first year, but now have a 80% failure rate. Sounded like a great idea to be able to replace the bulb, but it did not work that way. Into the dumpster they go.

It's cheaper to put in a new electrical service than it is to replace all the LED's

I will say howerver Tim had some C9's at the Minnesota Mini and we ran them in a test board with Incan C-9's and they were pretty good.

But mini lights, well LED's are good for power on lights and that's about it.

One thing you can do as I've been doing, is IF you are going to buy the big box LED's which we all know are not sealed (at least most of them) is pull the bulbs and put a dab of die-electric greae on the leads and put them back in. The grease tends to encase the leads and keeps the water from rusting them. I have about 50 strings of the Sylvania C-7's and C-6's from Fleet Farm I've done this to and it's good preventive maintenance. It takes a while but between the cost of the good ones, even with the discounts we can get compared to the big box ones I think it's made up for. I mean, right now you can get 35 count C-6 at Fleet Farm on sale at $6.99. On a dozen sets per household you also get an instant rebate of $3 a box making them $3.99 a box. 12 strings doesn't go very far but I have other people pick up more sets and when you can plug 40+ together if you need to it ends up being a long string of lights. I can pull the bulbs, grease them and replace them in about 15 minutes a string. To me that's worth the time to not have them go out.

Lenny

I got news for you guys.

All LED strings can rust, because the bottom of the light socket where the wires enter the socket housing has metal that rusts also, so even your hermedically sealed LED strings can rust and fail.

I had a a few LEDs on my Home Depot sealed-LED strings fail on my megatree.

What I did was just cut the bulb out, and bypass the bulb by shorting the string across the point where the bulb was, like a heart bypass. The rest of the string will not miss this one LED too much, and I have saved a few strings this way over the last couple of seasons.

Dang the same thing happened to me last year. We got them up on the roof and about a week into the display half the string was out.

We just tossed them. Not worth the hassel. I am not getting any more LEDs until they have a better product or China gets some good product regulations. It is so not worth it. You spend more fixing and messing with them than you would just going with incandescents and getting a power saver box.

Angel