Mausoleum into gingerbread house

For Halloween we put up an 8 foot by 8 foot by 10 foot tall mausoleum with a pitched roof. Inside we had black lights and a crank ghost. We're going to paint it brown and use it as a gingerbread house for Christmas (with lights and foam candy shapes.) However, we're stumped as to what to put inside. We do have two 4 foot lollipop wire frames and a gingerbread man wire frame, but I figured those would go next to it. Any ideas?

My son thinks we need a witch and oven inside (which made me laugh) but I don't think that would work well for Christmas.

Well, a witch and oven would remind kids about the naughty/nice list - that's Christmas related!

The whole thing just screams to be a toy factory doesn't it?

Does it have windows/doors? When I was just picturing it in my mind, I thought it would be cool to have a Santa silhouette backlit behind a sheet covering the door. A moving Santa would be cool, but even a static Santa in a chair sleeping might be doable...

Wish I could post a photo. I have some but unfortunately the camera got dropped on the floor and getting photos off is on the to do list. However, it looks very similar to this one: http://www.ravenmanor.com/projects/mausoleum.html

Right now it has black columns out front that we planned to replace with candy cane striped columns. No doors or windows on three sides. The front is wide open about 3/4 of the way, maybe 1/2 with the columns. There are two steps up to it as well.

That's funny because we talked about the toy shop idea but decided we don't really have the decorations/materials to get away with that this year without a big investment.

I do like the Santa idea though, we had some custom Santa legs made from Lori's to attach to the chimney on the roof, and we've generally tried to keep it a one Santa yard. That might be the best way to go though. We also toyed with the idea of some sort of Christmas crank prop, but decided it would be a lot of work and probably not as cool as the ghost without black lights and so forth. Plus it would be harder to hide the strings if it was well lit.

I've done the same thing for the last few years. I struggled with what to put inside as well. The first year, we had styrofoam gingerbread men and women around the house. Then, I came across a large poseable Santa which I used since then.

Last year, we redid the whole front of our house into a gingerbread house.

Below are links to some pictures.

Christmas - http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/jslanks/Christmas%202008/

Halloween - http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/jslanks/Halloween%202009/

Jim

Slanks, I gotta safe AMAZING DISPLAYS! Both of them are AWESOME!!! I am going to have to copy them. That had to be expensive to transform the whole house into a gingerbread house. BUT WORTH IT!!! I dont know what else to say but good job. The one question I had though are the elves. Did you make them or are they store bought?

Thank you! It probably wasn't as expensive as you might think. Fortunately, I have a half-timber house which works well. I covered it in panels of 1/2" pink styrofoam that is used for insulation.

The elves are one of the few things we do not make. They are from K-Mart. Basically, cloth over a PVC frame. They have held up well.

Jim

I love the gingerbread house! In the pictures of it, what is the spacing on your north pole pillar lights lining your frontage? How well do they hold up?

I love how it looks, and have been wanting to do something similar, but because of the way my road is, it is possible they may get snow plowed onto them.

They are about 7' - 8' apart if I remember correctly. Guess I can tell you with more certainty in a couple weeks.

They are made out of 3" PVC (How To is located on a different thread here) and the globes are plastic. I've had them for a couple years and the only issue is when they ground is really wet and soggy and the wind comes in. The start pushing over and the spikes holding them down start pulling out.

The parkway is far enough away that I have not had them hit with the snow from a plow so I can't give you much insight there.

Jim

How about Mrs Claus in an apron or a nice elf lady baking in an old time oven. The oven door could open to show a giant cookie, smiling gingerbread man or something, baking in a warm glow and then close again (motor fun!). Some 'porchlights' that look like big candies and light up might be fun. A candy chimney on the roof over the stove with an amber light in it and a little smoke coming out. Two little elf children standing in snow outside the doorway peeking in?

I'm sure you'll have many ideas for this. Displays that have the 'warm fuzzies' are always fun to do, I think.

Be sure to post pics of whatever you come up with!

Merry Christmas...

Gary

Thanks for all the tips. Here's the update: At the present it's been painted a ginger brown and we've caulked on foam all the way around the roof line to look like snow. At the peak is a red led Merry Christmas sign, and the columns are now white with red and white stripes. We've left it dark inside for the moment. We plan to add candy to the outside, but like much of our yard it's simply not done. Thinking we might hang some net lights along the back wall and buy a waving Santa. Love the projector idea but after the goofy amount we spent at Lori's during the mini I don't think it's going to happen this year. Plus looks like it's out til December.

Cool ideas, Gary. Unfortunately there is no way I will convince my husband to build and lug another fake chimney. :) The one on the real roof makes him crazy.

I'll post a pic soon. My daughter can get the pics off the screwy camera by some bizarre manner that involves using the printer's usb drive.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks for the ideas. We're going with a life size Santa so of course need to buy one quick. We'd looked at an animated one at Lowe's but it was gone when we went back last weekend. Anyone know where to get a decent one for $200 or under? Should be life size and somewhat realistic. Animation optional. Won't use music since the lights are synced. Let me know if you have ideas or have one for sale. Open to ordering online but worried about ship time. Thanks in advance.