Gingerbread house 3D style

I saw thepic in the PC magazine with castle and gingerbread house. It said he used 4" thick insulation foam for the construction. I looked all over today andcouldnt find anything thicker than 1". Anyone know where I should be able to find the thicker material?

Art

Guest showtime

Yes you can glue 4 pieces of 1" foam together and be just as durable if not more. I made pillars for my yard and they have been there for about 5 years now. And if you are carving the foam it is easier working with.

4" is extremely thick, this is not something you will usually find in stock.

You should be able to find 2", which would mean gluing only two sheets together.

You will probably need to special order 4" if you want it in one sheet.

Tim

I figure that's what I'll end up having to do. Only reason was looking for four inch was cuzthe 1" is around $12 a sheet and the 4" I heard was around $28. After four walls, on (hopefully) two good sized (4x8x10 orbigger) structures a year, that would be a big savings that could be appliEd elsewhere in the display.

Art

I was lucky enough to find some 4 inch foam dumpster diving at a local furniture store. They were okay with me getting all I wanted. I've used it to make suckers, candies and wheels. Band saw cuts it pretty good without a lot of snow. I was also lucky enough to find the padding that looks like a quilted foam blanket. Good for storing stuff. Wrapping glass, padding wireframes to prevent scratching off paint or breaking bulbs or between wood cutouts to protect paint jobs from getting scuffed.

You know .....I used the 'fake' brick wall ( the stuff you buy at your local Menards or HD or Lowers, etc) attached to 1"x 3" wooden supports. You can then have a 'pre-fabbed' home (in my case ...'Train Station') to put up instead ...LOL. I really shouldn't laugh because that is just what I do every year and it's really fast. I use the foam sheets (2") for the roof, because it's light. Every thing folds up for storage, except for the base, in a small shed.