Well Ok this doesn't really have anything to do with Christmas but talk about really lousy timing. I am driving home today when my wife calls me in a panic and in tears, and she tells me that water is running everywhere. I get her to go to the basement and shut the water off but by this time we have Niagra falls going on.

What really bites more than anything is that all of my Dad's memorabilia from when he played for the Detroit Lions was in my basement and is now soaked. He had saved game day programs, his original contract, his sideline warm-up jacket and numerous other items. Hopefully Service Master can salvage everything, they are here now doing cleanup.

None of my display stuff appears to have gotten saturated so there is a bright spot. Well that and my wife will now get the new kitchen floor she wanted.

We have industrial fans running along with dehumidifiers that are almost as big as our great dane, the noise level in here is jst wonderful.

Tony

Very sorry about this. What caused the flood?

My mom had something similar happen about 12 years ago. She had gone to visit my brother for a week or so, and the icemaker water line burst. She came home to water running out the door into the garage... Same deal: industrial fans drying everything out-- lots of ruined stuff in the basement, and complete new floors (including subfloor) in the kitchen...

Not knowing the make up of your house, you may want pull the base boards away from the walls to help with venting at the bottom. Some homes have a gap behind the base boards where the sheet rock and the bottom plate (board that the studs are attached to) meet.

Fortunately I have great homeowners insurance and since this wasn't caused by a storm or some other natural disaster it is fully covered. Basically a thermostatic hot water mixing valve failed under the bathroom sink and sprayed water everywhere in the master bathroom on the second floor.

They sent Service Master in to begin the cleaup process and they even brought in a document recovery firm to save all of the memorabilia. Basically they freeze dry the paper and then it separates on it's own without any damage. They will be here tomorrow to begin tearing out floors and continuing to dry things out. Hopefully all goes well and my house will be back to normal by Thanksgiving.

Tony

I had a deal like this once was laying in bed in the middle of the night and suddenly was getting wet. I thought the water bed sprung a leak only to fine that the water line in the bathroom had sprung a leak and was spraying out the door and right on our bed. Man what a wake up call. Hope all goes well and as said before good thing the wife was home.

Well everything in the house is dried out and ready for the reconstruction to take place. Unfortunately they will not be able to be done before Thanksgiving but maybe by Christmas. The entire kitchen will have to be taken out and rebuilt as well as new flooring on half of the first floor. They also have to replace the floors in both upstairs bathrooms.

My wife wanted new floors and for the kitchen to be painted and the good news is that I don't have to do it.