what's the best way to install a sub panel, i'm probaly going to get one this summer because i'm completely out of power.

I'm not an electrician, but if you are "completely out of power" I don't understand how adding a sub panel will help. Doesn't a sub panel just redirect or allocate power, not add it? Hence "sub,"

what's the best way to install a sub panel, i'm probaly going to get one this summer because i'm completely out of power.

I'm getting ready to add a subpanel as well. From the sounds of it, I seem to have a couple of key things that you might need:

1) A friend that's an electrician. He's already checked out my current service, drafted up a plan and is sending me out to procure stuff. I'm the intern, he's the surgeon. And, he works for beer.

2) Available space in my circuit panel, available amperage/wattage/voltage within my existing service, etc. I've got room to grow.

I would highly recommend consulting with an electrician, especially if you've maxxed out your power as-is.

I agree, the first step is to determine if your existing service can support additional load. If so then determine the best methodology and then put it in place.

If you don't have the skills to do the work yourself then call an electrician.

Tony

Like Tony said, A sub panel will do little good if your current service panel cant support the additional load. Start by determining capacity and then load....It may mean a" heavy up " of the service entrance panel would be the more appropriate route.

when you say "out of power" do you mean as in what you can pull from the single outlet on the front of the house? no more breakers in the current box? or have you maxed out the consumption for the entire house?

I added my own sub last year and it was easier than I expected. The largest cost (aside from labor for hiring an electrician) will be the wire to run from the main to the sub. You should use at least 6g for a 50A bouble pole breaker which will alot you 100A @ 110 on the back end

when you say "out of power" do you mean as in what you can pull from the single outlet on the front of the house? no more breakers in the current box? or have you maxed out the consumption for the entire house?

I added my own sub last year and it was easier than I expected. The largest cost (aside from labor for hiring an electrician) will be the wire to run from the main to the sub. You should use at least 6g for a 50A bouble pole breaker which will alot you 100A @ 110 on the back end

Well it's hard to tell becuase i'm not an electrician or anything but, i think i'm out of power in the whole panel because there's no extra slots left and i've used up all my extra outlets.

Well it's hard to tell becuase i'm not an electrician or anything but, i think i'm out of power in the whole panel because there's no extra slots left and i've used up all my extra outlets.

Out of space does not necessarily mean out of power.

How much does your display draw?

What size is your main breaker? The main breaker is usually at the top of you panel in the center, or it could be at the meter outside. Should say 100 or 200 most likely.

Tim

first how many electrical panels do you have?

find the one with the big breaker for your A/C unit - this is most likely your main panel.

is there a large breaker at the top of this panel? this is the total power you have to work with

if there's not a top breaker, there is probably one at the meter.

find that one - it should be one single breaker switch by itself

figure out how much power you show is drawing, consider that using animation will typically max out about 75% of your total max potential.

You say your electrical panel is full, if you can't hire an electrician the other option is to add one yourself, which will run you about $250 -$300 not including a permit.

you'll need space in your main panel for a 40A or 50A double pole breaker too (which will provide 80-100A worth of usable power at 110V

You should take a picture of your current electrical panel and post it here.

What year was the home built? Is it 100a or 200a power you have?

How many circuits or in the panel currently? You should to inventory how many slots you currently have and how many single and double circuit breakers you have and their amp ratings and how they are used.