Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Brandywine528

Help!!!please!

I am done with my decorations. Christmas has exploded on my lawn...but, I need help.I am tripping my breaker. Someone told me that they did not think I had them even,I don't know what that means. I have 3 outside plugs and over 150 things running to them.Can someone help me? Do I need to have an even amount of extension cords going to each outlet or do I need to plug half of them into a whole other breaker. Please help!!!

You don't have to have an even number of cords on each plug. It sounds like you are over loading the circuit though. Are all the receptacles on the same breaker?

Well if there all running off the same breaker then that is the problem. It might cost you a bitt but you need to call a electrician and he can fix u right up . :D

OR.....you just run a extension cord from a different outlet that is not on the switched outlet you described. Maybe one from your garage or run a cord out a window from a outlet in the house. You do need to add up your total amperage and work on splitting it up over a few different circuits.

If you have another plug nearby that is running from a separate breaker, you could use that one too.

As far as the even number of extension cords, it doesn't matter. The plug/breaker only sees the total load on it. It doesn't know if it has one cord with a big multi tap or just a single strand of lights.

Im going to run all mine off three outlets this year but 2 of them are on the outside and they are both on 2 differnt breakers. The 3 rd one is on the garage and it is also a dirffernt breaker. I did that for halloween and well lets hope it works with Christmas too or i will be calling my dad he is a electrician. ;)

I use 2 plugs with their own breaker (nothing else in the house is running off them), I beleive 20 amp, yours may only be 15 amp. You can install the 20 amp your self.

Also, I have 5 timers as they also trip with too much running off them.

I use 2 plugs with their own breaker (nothing else in the house is running off them), I beleive 20 amp, yours may only be 15 amp. You can install the 20 amp your self.

Also, I have 5 timers as they also trip with too much running off them.

What is the largest breaker besides 15 and 20 or is that the highest????

What is the largest breaker besides 15 and 20 or is that the highest????

You can get bigger breakers, but if the wire size doesn't support it, you will end up with a fire! :eek:

I used to run one heavy extension cord to my back patio, which was on a different breaker. This year I installed 4 20amp circuits to supplement the 2 I already had. I don't think power will be an issue for me! :giggle:

If 6 20 amp circuits are not enough, I will be more worried about my power bill than adding more circuits. :eek:

Edited by Takoda

If your wire is 14 ga. 15amp is all you can get without risk of overloading your wire,if your wire is 12ga you should be able to upgrade your circuit to 20 amp.If you feel comfortable dealing with ele.,it is a easy fix

Guest showtime

Have you tried to lower the bulb watts, say 60W to a 40W per each bulb if not less?

If your wire is 14 ga. 15amp is all you can get without risk of overloading your wire,if your wire is 12ga you should be able to upgrade your circuit to 20 amp.If you feel comfortable dealing with ele.,it is a easy fix

No offense intended to the OP or you, but if he's asking questions like this, he shouldn't be messing in the panel himself, and certainly not upgrading breakers.

Again, I don't mean to sound condescending: working with electricity requires some knowledge-- and that knowledge includes knowing what to do when the breaker is being overloaded.

The bad part about electricity is that if you screw up, there's a good chance that either a) you die, or B) your house burns down.

-Tim

Guest A.F.NUT

As was said you need to use a few different breakers. I had another put in this year. I think now I have 6 20 amp circuits for Christmas and a few others I use, if you are using blowmolds you can switch them over to cfl bulbs that will take your 40 and 60 watt bulbs down to 9 and 14 watts that makes a huge reduction in power usage. Tom

That's a great solution-- switch to CFL bulbs. If you're using 60w bulbs in your molds, you can buy equivalent CFL's that use only about 10 watts. And they do work in the cold -- I use them here in frigid MN -- once they warm up (just a couple minutes) they're very bright. The ones I use are rated down to zero degrees, but I've seen them at normal brightness at 15 below (might take a bit longer to warm up)...

That's a great solution-- switch to CFL bulbs. If you're using 60w bulbs in your molds, you can buy equivalent CFL's that use only about 10 watts. And they do work in the cold -- I use them here in frigid MN -- once they warm up (just a couple minutes) they're very bright. The ones I use are rated down to zero degrees, but I've seen them at normal brightness at 15 below (might take a bit longer to warm up)...

This is correct. Use CFL bulbs where you can. You will save alot of power and the bulbs will be brighter than regular bulbs I have done this and it helps alot. although I have 14 Dedicated circuits running 28 outlets on my house and I was blowing some of the breakers. The CFL bulbs helped me out.

I am done with my decorations. Christmas has exploded on my lawn...but, I need help.I am tripping my breaker. Someone told me that they did not think I had them even,I don't know what that means. I have 3 outside plugs and over 150 things running to them.Can someone help me? Do I need to have an even amount of extension cords going to each outlet or do I need to plug half of them into a whole other breaker. Please help!!!

If you are running 150 things on 1 breaker be glad you have one. That setup really should be burning the house down.

If you are running only 15 watt bulbs in that many fixtures you are drawing 20 amps.

You have several solutions. The least expensive would be if you can find 2 more circuts to use. Either in the garage or another side of the house that you can run cords to. If you have what you think are outlets on a different circut, turn the one you have off and try a light in the others. Buying a couple extra cords to reach differnt outlets is the cheapest solution.

You could have an electrician come in. He can maybe add a couple circuts with their own outlets for a few hundred dollars.

Or you could go to Sam's Club and buy 150 LED lights. You might get buy with CFL's but the LED's are about the same price. A 60 watt incandesant is repaced with a 15 watt CFL which is replaced with a 4 watt LED. CFL's in the cold will not last more than a couple years. LED's will probably outlive all of us.

But keep in mind $150 of them at about $3 each will set you back in a hurry.

(this is the only place I would use LED's. We all know LED mini lights are not real Christmas Lights)