Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
indytycoon

Setups

i am about 1/2 done. still waiting on 2 controllers but lights are going up. will rent a lift next week to get the ice lights up high and finish the mega tree. :)

Just bored two 3/4" holes through my house last night for the new outside outlets. Hoping that Wednesday is as nice as they say so I can snake the romex and get it all wired up.

I am kicking myself for working in the yard and not getting any lights up last weekend. It was BEAUTIFUL and I should have at least had the roof and gutters done. <grumble>

The thing that's worrying me is getting the sequences done. I've not spend much time on it this year and may be rushing to re-use the sequences from last year on the new layout.

Can someone remind me how it got to be November so quickly?

I've gotten up around 30,000 lights in the last few weeks. I'm almost done. Another couple of weeks and I'll be done.

Chris

Just Finished Sunday Eve. I'm happy, but now I'm in decorating mode and can't stop so I'm going to "suprise" decorate my buddy's house this weekend while he's out of town.

He doesn't ever hang ANY lights, but his wife wants him to so she's bribing. So I'm doing it for him and I'm even getting COOKIES out of it. I'll do ANYTHING for fresh soft warm chocholate chip cookies!

I started this Sunday,

Northpoles are up - 4

Mini trees are set - 10

10 ft Mega tree frame is up -1

waiting for Daryl with ChristmasLightShow.com to send me my new metal frame for my star and hooks.

Countdown timer set

18 Flood Lights set

Need

Roof Outline

Gutter Outline

Wood Cutouts -10

Wire Frames -15

Snowflakes -10

Lights on mega Tree

Set up 6 Artificial Christmas Trees

Leapping Arches - 4

Driveway Arches 4

Sidewalk ARches 10

Inflatables - 6

Nativity

Programming 1 more song

Decorate inside the house

Ricardo A

Pasadena, TX.

I'm all complete (except for my signs) and have been running sequences to refine them. I also have time to sequence another song or two. The set up went very quickly with all the great weather we've had. I started two weekends before Halloween and then took a few days off last week to finish up. To tell the truth I'm sort of sorry that it's all done, but I won't have much time later in the week. At least I was able to find all the failed strings and other gliches, no last minute scrambling like last year. I also am going to start videoing some nights this week.

Normally don't start until this weekend, but with the weather we had last weekend I did the trees and the stuff on the roof. Lights went up around the windows last night and I am going to hang the icicles tonignt. Then everything left will be on the ground.

Way ahead of usual and the work crew doesn't come until Saturday. I hope they still have stuff to do.

All 48,000+ lights are up and tested. I have one finicky controller I have to fix, one last song to sequence, and a lot of house cleaning to get ready for putting up indoor decorations in preparation of the opening night party on 11/28.

wow you guys have been busy!!Lights are on the house,thanksgiving blow molds in the yard,christmas blow molds the 1st of dec.

wow you guys have been busy!!Lights are on the house,thanksgiving blow molds in the yard,christmas blow molds the 1st of dec.

Are you going to use that LOR controller this year? :)

I am about 70% done (which is great for me by this time in years past!) :P

I won't go "live" until the early December...

Finished physical setup & all power & network connections Monday at 4:30pm. Tested & everything is hooked up properly and working.

I've finished 3 sequences I'm happy with, 1 I'm not thrilled with (yet), and working on a few others. Feeling a little overwhelmed that I'm not going to get all the sequences I want finished by lights on.

Jacob

I still have an amazing amount left to do. Almost hate talking about it.

Working with a neighbor for the first time, and basically winging it on

most items that were done last year by this time.

Going from 76 channels into a lot of items, into 145 channels into a lot fewer items. Light count changing from around 17k to around 50k ... between both homes.

Big projects remaining: 5 more trees to wrap with R+G, megatree

Finally got the double path Snowflake Wall project done (see avatar) ... with the 24 flakes on it

over the front door. 9' star is on the roof with 480 lbs of sandbags in place.

My goal is for a little static stuff to begin this weekend ... and then the show

can start by the following weekend, hopefully by Dec 6th in earnest.

Will be sequencing a lot, but haven't started to convert any 2008 songs into the new show layout yet.

Edited by taybrynn

You guys are killing me ... I'm so far behind.

Chris, I've got your book on hold at the library ... still on the waiting list :D