Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Steve G

Oop's

I should have listened to you guys a little closer. Last nite i fired up the lites for a trial run. Started the sequence and BAM! No power! well it seems i overloaded one side with to many floods. After resetting and removing some floods everything was fine. Also,removed 20amp breaker and replaced wiyh 30amp. We are back in business.

Steve

...Also,removed 20amp breaker and replaced with 30amp...

I hope your outlet and the circuit is rated for 30amp. I think the wiring has to me at least 12 gauge.

Liberty-Lazer,

Thanks for the input. I'm running 12-2 w/ground. But i need to go ckeck the outlet. Was late last nite and never gave it a thought.

Thanks,Steve

You may want to buy a Kill-O-Watt meter $20-$30. I use it prior to plugging anything into the controller. This way I know my maximum draw. I plan to overload at least 1 of my controllers, but I'm being careful during programming to insure high draw items are never energized at the same time.

You may want to buy a Kill-O-Watt meter $20-$30. I use it prior to plugging anything into the controller. This way I know my maximum draw. I plan to overload at least 1 of my controllers, but I'm being careful during programming to insure high draw items are never energized at the same time.

That's a big help. You can also download the lorpowerutility http://www.t2lights.com/christmas/lorutility.html

This works with LOR sequences and will show you where in your sequence you're pulling most of your power and will help you make adjustments. Sometimes just lowering the power on a couple strings might make all the difference.

NEVER-EVER replace breakers with a higher rated one. The wiring is matched to the size of the breaker. If you overload, you can BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN. The chances of you having the correct size wiring for the new breaker are approaching zero (otherwise they would have used that breaker size to begin with)

I'm not one to use all-caps in posts, but this situation calls for it. Please listen to this and don't do something dumb over Christmas lights...

-Tim

Please listen to the warnings. Upsizing a breaker without replacing the wiring for the circuit makes it possible for you to overheat the wiring. This can quickly lead to a fire.

Keep in mind that the fire will probably not happen at the outlet on the outside of your house. It will likely be inside an interior wall (possibly next to or under a bedroom).

Kill-A-Watt deal

$18.99, with free shipping.

steve you need 2 things

1. a kill-a-watt tester....... its easy to use , and tells you how meny amps you are drawing

and its under 20 bucks delivered to your door.

2. a new 20 amp breaker, and keep your amps at 80% , whitch would be 16 amps.

do these 2 things and you will be just fine

NEVER-EVER replace breakers with a higher rated one. The wiring is matched to the size of the breaker. If you overload, you can BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN. The chances of you having the correct size wiring for the new breaker are approaching zero (otherwise they would have used that breaker size to begin with)

-Tim

What Tim said^^^^^^^^^^^^

Remember the days when people used to put pennies in the box and then screw in the fuse??

yes I do!

I also remember some replacing the small fuses in strands with nails.

Also,removed 20amp breaker and replaced wiyh 30amp. We are back in business.

Steve

Make sure you have a phone in your hand at all times with 91 dialed. Then all you have to do is dial 1 to get 911 and the fire dept on the way..

There is a reason there was a 20 amp breaker on the circut. It is probably 12/2 romex

you need at least 10 gauge and I would really go with 8 gauge to run 30 amps.

Instead of messing with the breakers at all, find another outlet in your house on a circuit that isn't being used, even if you have to run an extension out a window.