Landscaping light cord

The landscape cord I have seen looks like SPT-3 but the jacket states it is only rated for low voltage power. In fact, it is a heavier gage wire, probably about 14 gage.I would guess that it'slike the "speaker wire" that is essentially identical to SPT-1 zip cord. It isn't "certified" for high voltage AC current, but it seems to work just fine. I don't know of any physical difference other than the tiny text imprinted on the jacket.

Small Print Disclaimer: This is just my observation. I amnot certified by the Underwriters Laboratory to make these statements or judgments. If you end up with frizzy hair and black Uncle Fester eye sockets please blame it on Rudolph, not me! If you have any doubts or reservations about doing something you are not sure about don't do it!

Hi Brad

Came across about 500' of this stuff 2 years ago at a yard sale, and it will work. I put a 8 amp load on a 250' piece for 15 min. and it held up just find. Most of this low voltage wire is 14 AWG which can handle 15 amps.The main difference is the insulation rating. In a way I think it is better then spt-2 zip.

As all of us know copper wire is a major expense in our displays but we all need to be on the safe side and use our basic electrical knowledge. I just don't use a high load on any wire that is not rated correctly.

This is only my opinion, and 2 cents worth!

Don

Brad Caudill wrote:

well normally that is good enough but I had never dealt with one with a red and black wire.. and I grabbed the black wire. lol

It sounds like you have a fan/light on a "three way" switch: can be controlled by two separate switches (or previously had two switches and one has been eliminated with the wiring left in place). If that's the case one or the other of the red and black wires will always be energized (depending on the method of wiring.) Many of these have the three wire w.G wire between the switches with just a two wire feeder going to the actual junction box. If you see three wires (red, black, and white) plus a ground you should definitely turn off the breaker. If you only see two wires (black and white) plus a ground you are fairly safe just turning the switch off.... unless someone previously did something out of code with the wiring, in which case you'll probably get zapped. Just to be safe, and since you don't know what a previous owner or impaired electrician did, you should always turn off the power at the breaker before working with electrical wires.

No Disclaimer On This One...

NOT ALWAYS TRUE MARTY IF IT WAS FOR A THREE WAY IT WOULD BE NOT BE RED OR BLACK THOSE ARE DESIGNATED POWER IT WOULB USUALY ORANGE OR YELLOW MY GUESS IS IT IS FOR A DUAL FAN SWITCH ONE FOR THE LIGHT AND ONE FOR THE FAN THE EASY WAY TO FIGURE IT OUT IS THERE TWO ENTRY WAYS TO THE ROOM OR JUST ONE IF THEIR ARE TWO ENTRY'S TO THE ROOM CODE STATES THEIR MUST BE A THREE WAY OR MORE DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF ENTRYS TO THE ROOM THAT IS MY OPINION AS A G C

What part of code requires switch at each entrance to room? And where do you get romex with orange and yellow wire in it?

Landscape lighting cable is listed as a Low Voltage Cable. (most being labeled for 30volts and under). Using it in an unlisted manor will make you liable if someone would get shocked or if you have a fire. Also most landscape lighting cable will allow some moisture to penatrate the cable because they don't worry about it shorting to ground be cause the secondary side of the transformer is ungounded.

Can't find it in the NEC code book thats why I was asking also called my local suppliers about romex with an orange or yellow wire in it none of them have seen it but will check with to see if it can be custom ordered. I would assume you could be refering to the fact that the outer jacket is color coded to show wire size IE. White #14, Yellow #12, and Orange #10

Clisenet wrote:

What about this stuff would this be good to use for the channels in LOR.

Coleman Cable

500 ft. Black 12-2 SPT-3 Low Voltage

What is the price? Unless it is substancially LESS than $35 don't buy it. You can buy 1000 feet of zip cord (lamp cord) from any electrical wholesaler (check your yellow pages) for around $75-80.

TED

Brad Caudill wrote:

I already zapped myself once today.. don't assume when a switch is off that there is no power in the wires (took out a ceiling fan and put in a regular light).

And I thought your picture taking method was questionable...

TED