Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Fitz

Any luck so far?

Any Oregonians having luck so far with all this rain? Its been a wet start but I've been able to put up lights in the trees and on the house...looking forward to actually being able to drive around this year and look at everyone else's lights (unless of course it snows 16 inches again)! Here's to a good season for all of you!

I'm on the other side of the Cascades, It's been in the 30s' but no rain, and thankfully no snow yet. I started day after Halloween and I am actually ahead of my schedule. Chance of snow tomorrow, just have to see how things go. If the weather holds I'll be done early. Hope Hope !!!!!!!!!

I got the c7's up on the roof last weekend (well, my daughter did anyway) been so busy fabricating new stuff for this year, hopefully be able to put up some stuff this weekend.

I'm upgrading from 4400 minis, 150 c7's, and 1 mr. xmas deluxe last year to 2) mr. xmas's, 150 c7's and over 10000 minis this year.

I hope the rain stays at bay on saturday!

I got the MegaTree up weekend before last, then didn't do anything until today. We had no rain today, but I don't know if we'll be so lucky tomorrow. I'll probably have to watch the weather and take a weekday off to get back on schedule.

-Darin

Definitely going to head on out to the Grove this year and check out your display once you are up and running.

Was able to get a few things up this weekend, feeling the time crunch!

Got all my boxes out and some net light out. Still trying to be a little stealthy, plus I've still have a little programming yet to do. Starting to get that excited about crunch time feeling myself. Sounds like the trifecta of storms is coming our way though. Here's hoping we all have a great season. :D

Paul

How did everybody survive wind/rain stress test over the last few days? I have 3 roof shingles laying in the yard, but all my display pieces (mega tree, mini trees, fence line) are all in tact :)

It certainly was wind. Darin sorry to hear you had problems, maybe that will give you an excuse to add more lights to your roof while your up there fixing those shingles. :D I was pretty luck except that I've got more leaves to rake now. Well I hope everyone is getting close to getting it all up. I got pretty much everything up and was doing a test run on the videos and snow machine last night. All went well except for a section of net lights that when out. Even when your done your not done. :)

Merry Christmas to all

Paul

wind didn't seem to affect my display either, I should be done tonight or tomorrow. I decided to add another 13 mini trees.

We should all find a way to hook up and check each others displays out. I would love to head north and see what a real display looks like!

We should all find a way to hook up and check each others displays out. I would love to head north and see what a real display looks like!

Yeah, I have wanted to check out other displays. Last year was somewhat prohibitive. If your in Independance, you may have seen Craig Newton's display. It's up the road near Amity. I have wanted to drive down and check it out and just may find time this year. The info is at http://www.newtonlights.com/index.html

I think there is a localized source of display information somewhere on PC, but I forgot where.

Pretty quiet here for the last couple of days...I trust that means all is going well and you're all admiring your month's work.

This year's premiere at our house was a day late, but fairly flawless. I'll be happy if it runs, for the first season ever, all month without needing a reboot.

Here's a sample:

Pretty quiet here for the last couple of days...I trust that means all is going well and you're all admiring your month's work.

Here's a sample:

Mike,

I don't think I've talked to you before, but I would like to say "NICE WORK !!!!" The video shows a very good use of the lights and sequencing. It almost makes the house look like it's alive. What were the white lights in the windows? They kind of took the place of mini-trees for rythm accents. Are those standard C9 incandescent on the window perimeter? Nothing dims better than a C9!

-Darin

Mine's going well, had a few hiccups here and there, still have a huge star to finish putting lights on and a window frame to hang lights on.

I think I'm going to add some more lights to my middle-sized trees and maybe another color to my mini trees.

I'm planning for the LOR future!:D

Mike,

I don't think I've talked to you before, but I would like to say "NICE WORK !!!!" The video shows a very good use of the lights and sequencing. It almost makes the house look like it's alive. What were the white lights in the windows? They kind of took the place of mini-trees for rythm accents. Are those standard C9 incandescent on the window perimeter? Nothing dims better than a C9!

-Darin

Thanks Darin.

This is our fourth year, and I must say it doesn't get any easier, but I pray that the quality gets better. The lights in the windows are C7 candles that I bought at Dollar Tree, then placed on little risers to vary the elevation. The four in the window above the front door ar actually a unit that I built from C7 sockets, PVC pipe, and 1x4. The plan is to replace the rest of them that way too, because the lightweight individuals move because of their cords and the interior window coverings.

The window, front door, and arch perimeters and the line above the garage (I'd like to brighten those up) are C7. The rest are C9.

I have a couple others posted on YouTube, plus all of 2007's, or better yet come see them in person!

Thanks again!

Well I'm up and going and so far things have been going great. I've been getting quiet a few cars stopping and checking out a song or two. I'm running about 12 different songs a night and have a total of 23 songs so I can mix it up a bit after a while. It's been great having such nice weather the pass few nights, hope it continues to be like this for a while.

Merry Christmas

Paul

Paul, your directions thingie on your website is broke. It just puts a star in the middle of Kansas. I don't think Hillsboro is in Kansas any more, Toto.

Stick an address somewhere and I'll find it and come waaaaaay over to the west side and see yours and Darin's stuff one of these days.

Paul, your directions thingie on your website is broke. It just puts a star in the middle of Kansas. I don't think Hillsboro is in Kansas any more, Toto.

Stick an address somewhere and I'll find it and come waaaaaay over to the west side and see yours and Darin's stuff one of these days.

Hey Mike,

You just reminded me that I need to add my address to my website! If you come over to the west side be sure to let us know which night. I'm still putting some finishing touches on my display throughout this weekend and want to make sure it's ready before anybody makes the drive. Paul always seems to get his display running before mine:)

-Darin

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. I don't know what is going wrong it with it but I did add my address to the directions page. I was by Darin's place last night and it looked great. I've been trying to get out more this year myself and look at different displays. Seems like there are more people decorating this year than in the past and have seen some really well done homes. Checked out your videos and your display looks GREAT. How did you get the red lights around the windows to rotate, 2 channels per window? Looked very cool. Pass your address to me as well, I'll put your place on my list. :D

Paul

How did you get the red lights around the windows to rotate, 2 channels per window? Looked very cool.

Paul

It's three channels of color around each window and one of white for emphasis. Thanks for the compliment. I try to compensate for limited yard space with precision and neatness... Coolness is the ultimate goal in this sport, is it not?

We're at 15134 SE 124th Ave. in Clackamas.

I try to compensate for limited yard space with precision and neatness... Coolness is the ultimate goal in this sport, is it not?.

Mike,

I have the exact opposite problem; I have too much space too fill. I don't have any decorations on the house this year and it actually works better. I compressed the show area in the yard and it has more depth and fullness. You hit the nail on the head; it's about coolness! We each typically use what we have to our best advantage. The smaller yards require a very creative approach and as you found out, you can make it look awesome!

After several weeks of chasing gremlins, we are running at 100% tonight! Light O Rama and their customer support are the best! Thank you guys for the replacment controller! I'll have some video posted soon:)

Here's what I'm lookin like!

I like it! Man that has got to be one of the biggest arches I've seen yet it's like a mega arch :D. How many channels are on that arch it has a very smooth look to it. Very cool display..

Merry Christmas

Paul

Towerman,

Great Work!! You're really throwing down some tight sequences. I have seen a few displays do the Pirates theme. It works nice becuase of the heavy dynamics. Not sure if we can drive all the way south to see your display, but keep the videos coming.

-darin