I know I should have a sense of humor,but....

Has anyone seen this site? http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/

We all have a sense of humor,but am I supposed to be offended by this site? I can laugh at myself and some folks that have been posted on there can too,but when I read the fan mail section,I'm not laughing anymore. It's one thing to write in emails comparing this person to the ****'s or the KKK,but why respond with equally insulting comments back to the writer? And then post them on this site? If I'm supposed to have a sense of humor about this site,it would be better if it didn't have insulting responses to the ridiculous "fan mail" they get. Better yet,it would be better if the fan mail section wasn't there at all. Then maybe some people wouldn't have to question the goal of the site in the first place.

I found this site while searching for Christmas light vendors. Why would someone go to this kind of effort to make a site that insults the hobbies that other people enjoy? :confused: What's odd is that most of the pics that are posted of people's yards are pretty tame. Some barely have any lights. So it would be better if there were no lights?

Edited by skarah1313

Discussion about this site comes up every single year. The owner of the site even comes on every now and then to discuss it...

The site should be taken with a huge grain of salt/tongue in cheek. There are plenty of displays there which I find perfectly acceptable, and plenty more which, for lack of a better word, don't meet my own tastes :)

There are some members here who gladly submitted their displays for inclusion on that site. After all, no press is bad press, right? :)

Facts of life:

1. Some people enjoy X.
  2. Others don't understand why someone enjoys X.
You can either continue to enjoy X, or waste your time trying to convert the people who don't understand why someone enjoys X.

Which is more productive?

Discussion about this site comes up every single year. The owner of the site even comes on every now and then to discuss it...

The site should be taken with a huge grain of salt/tongue in cheek. There are plenty of displays there which I find perfectly acceptable, and plenty more which, for lack of a better word, don't meet my own tastes :)

There are some members here who gladly submitted their displays for inclusion on that site. After all, no press is bad press, right? :)

That's all fine and dandy,but it should be titled "No Lights At All,Please" because of some of the examples on there. Humor is one thing;knit-picking is another.

Facts of life:

1. Some people enjoy X.
  2. Others don't understand why someone enjoys X.

You can either continue to enjoy X, or waste your time trying to convert the people who don't understand why someone enjoys X.

Which is more productive?

I don't care to convert anyone to anything. I just think it's a waste of time to insult people for no reason.

My point is that it's also a waste of time to worry about what those people think or that site. ;)

I don't worry about it. But since I like to study human behavior,it makes me wonder why some people hate the things they hate. Heck,I hate inflatables,but that's just me. Muahahahahaha!

I don't worry about it. But since I like to study human behavior,it makes me wonder why some people hate the things they hate. Heck,I hate inflatables,but that's just me. Muahahahahaha!

If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have posted about it. ;)

Tell me about it. The peopleofwalmart site is waaaaay worse.

Not sure how things are in your neck of the woods, but here in Minneapolis, I encourage you to spend an hour watching people in a Target, then do the same in a Wal-Mart. Let me know the differences you find... This is true even if the Target and Wal-Mart are within a mile from each other...

Not sure how things are in your neck of the woods, but here in Minneapolis, I encourage you to spend an hour watching people in a Target, then do the same in a Wal-Mart. Let me know the differences you find... This is true even if the Target and Wal-Mart are within a mile from each other...

Well,I live in Texas so there's no difference.:P

If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have posted about it. ;)

I think the thing that bothered me about it was that it reminded me of a friend of mine that likes to go around cutting down strangers for no reason. Well,she isn't a friend of mine anymore. She acts childish and she say's cruel things about complete strangers all the time. I don't care if someone else doesn't like the same hobby I have,it's the remarks in the fan mail section that get under my skin.

There are many people that are not happy with themselves... many don't even realize it. By making fun of, looking down at others looks, belongings etc....somehow this helps them feel better...how sad...Celebrating individual differences that are not moral issues for example how someone decorates their home for Christmas is what makes each person unique. It is it is easy to be critical, negative.........the challenge is to do something difficult.....encourage others, uplift their spirits..........and if you can't or don't 't have something good to say then don't say anything at all.....last of all that website sure misses the spirit of CHRISTmas....

There are many people that are not happy with themselves... many don't even realize it. By making fun of, looking down at others looks, belongings etc....somehow this helps them feel better...how sad...Celebrating individual differences that are not moral issues for example how someone decorates their home for Christmas is what makes each person unique. It is it is easy to be critical, negative.........the challenge is to do something difficult.....encourage others, uplift their spirits..........and if you can't or don't 't have something good to say then don't say anything at all.....last of all that website sure misses the spirit of CHRISTmas....

That is exactly what i was thinking.

Just as an aside, whenever one of these threads come up, the owner of the site comes and reads them. He can find them by tracing traffic to his site. I've talked to him privately before, and I suspect that a) he's really not a bad person, B) he likes to have a little fun at over-decorator's expense, and c) although I'm sure he finds some of the displays truly ugly, I suspect there's some on his site even he enjoys.

In his emails page it says he doesn't put up lights because he doesn't want to end up on his own site. That pretty sad.

If that doesn't strike you with someone who is writing with tongue firmly planeted in cheek, I don't know what does.

I suspect he'd rather me not say this, but in my private conversations with him, he thanked me for being one of the few decorators who "gets it".

I saw this website too a few weeks ago and at first I was a little upset about it, but now I could care less. People aren't going to like what we do. There are plenty of hobbies that people have I don't like. I don't go around telling people my opinions on those but some people don't have enough common sense to keep their mouth shut.

I used to work with a guy that would complain and insult anything and everything. He was loud about it too just so everyone could hear him. He even made fun of fat people even though he was well over 300lbs himself. The guy was a jerk and I can't stand people like this or people that comment on that site. But I am not going to change them so why bother getting worked up about it. I just ignore those people if I can. I think some people just need to be reminded sometimes "if you don't have anything nice to say, shut the **** up!"

I used to work with a guy that would complain and insult anything and everything. He was loud about it too just so everyone could hear him. He even made fun of fat people even though he was well over 300lbs himself. The guy was a jerk and I can't stand people like this or people that comment on that site. But I am not going to change them so why bother getting worked up about it. I just ignore those people if I can. I think some people just need to be reminded sometimes "if you don't have anything nice to say, shut the **** up!"

I just try to remind myself that Karma will catch up with people like that. It has with my ex-friend.;)