Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Jeremy Lawton

Interesting Incident at wal-mart..

Yeah no doubt! after reading this I am sooo glad I posted my experiences..lol, the people who are so concerned or so they seem could really in the end care less anyways.. thats why I was just thinking "whatever buddy" He didn't walk out with a single LED either after continuing to say he was so "after LEDs.." pretty much a jokester.

He could have been sizing you up for robbery ya never know. Or maybe you changed his mind...

Heh, environmentalist steals incandescent lights to rid the world of them-- I like that!

Wait a minute, I don't like that at all... :)

-Tim

While I care about the environment and what not, I can't afford to spent $12 on a strand of 100ct lights. I do what I can, where I can, and I don't shove it down anyone's throat.

I bought 5 sets of LEDs from HD yesterday, testing them out this season. Hopefully they keep well, *crosses fingers*

And to think, all this discussion is about colored computer parts strung on wire made up to look like Christmas lights.

And they are not even real Christmas lights

I have bought sets online at 6-7 dollars a set and got them as low as $0.50 after Christmas at Walmart, Lowes or wherever.

I have not found any significant difference between the quality of online lights and store bought lights.

I get about 3-4 years out of the average store bought set. Even if they go bad, at 50 cents a box you can't go wrong.

Nothing bad to say about LED's either. THey are brighter and more energy efficient and you can string like 40 sets together compared to 6-8 with incandescents.

I challenge you... come see my display and then tell me they aren't real Christmas lights. I guess the gentle "hummmmm" of your electric meter is a comfort. I'm not going to be an environmental wacko or get on a sop box and preach about the evils of incandescents. I think, like others have said, everyone is trying to do a little at a time as they can afford it. You, BMcGeeny, are being insulting and disrespectful with your comments. I take it personally as I have worked VERY hard to keep my display as low energy use as possible, in fact I am 100% LED. I haven't ever posted anything negative on this site, I try to stick by the three rules, but this is not the first time I have seen you post this insult and would request that you refrain from doing so here after. Have the same respect for us LED users that we have for you and don't tear down they way we have chosen to build our displays.:mad:

Magii:

I think you are mistaking good clean fun for insults. I have read every thread in this and don't see what you see.

Let's drop it now before Chuck has to step in and delete the whole thread.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Magii:

I think you are mistaking good clean fun for insults. I have read every thread in this and don't see what you see.

Let's drop it now before Chuck has to step in and delete the whole thread.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Agreed, I think this whole thread is a great laugh and comments are made in jest.

All,

After serious consideration, I decided that, financially, I just couldn't afford to upgrade to LED this year.

I wouldn't categorize myself as being pro- or anti-Wal-Mart, but I did need some replacement lights this weekend (why is it that the green ones have the worst paint job on them??), and Wal-Mart was the second closest to my home. The plan was to check prices at ACO Hardware (local chain), then Wal-Mart, then Lowe's, then Target. I got to Wal-Mart and discovered 100-count strings for $2.38. That was good enough for me. When the person at the register rang them up they came up as $2 even per strand. I immediately went back and picked up another dozen boxes. In all, I ended up buying thirty boxes to completely redo all the lights on the roof. I replaced all the strings, and have nice deep greens and no more 'pink' reds. I had zero failures during wrapping and installation. Let's hope they last the season!

Love 'em or hate 'em, you can't argue with the prices. At $60, I don't feel obligated to keep these 3000 lights for another two or three years (if they last that long), and can still dream of upgrading to LED next year...

- Carsten Ramcke, Saline, MI

I do this same stunt every year at Walmart as there is invariably a nosey busybody scoping me out:

Head back to the toy section and place one of these incredibly realistic baby dolls on top of some stuff in the cart seat; making certain its level with the top. I get one each year for my little girl, so have no problem with using it as a prop.

As soon as an aforementioned nosey person starts staring at you, turn 90 degrees as if you are reaching for something on the shelf, "accidently" knocking the "baby" from the cart. ****** the "baby" from the floor and say manically "I TOLD YOU TO BE STILL!", roughly shoving the "baby" back into the cart.

They usually leave you VERY alone after that.;)

That is so twisted and funny! Film that next time and put it on YouTube.

I would really enjoy it if someone came up to me and had an LED conversation like this. I'd pull out my iPhone and start crunching the numbers for them...

THAT would be funny!:giggle:

Agreed, I think this whole thread is a great laugh and comments are made in jest.

To Quote BMcMeanie:

"You guys can put up all the LED lights you want, but don't start calling them Christmas Lights. Christmas Lights are either bulbs that screw into a C-9, C-7 or push into a mini socket, are made out of glass and break when you drop them, they give off lots of heat and make your electric meter spin like crazy.

If you can't afford to do an electrical upgrade to several hundred amps and pay the bill when it comes, get out of the game. This is for real.

LED'S ARE FOR SISSY'S!"

Like I said, this is not the first time, enough is enough. While probably made in jest, I DO take offense to someone telling me to "get out of the game" because I have chosen to build my display out of LEDs. Just asking for a little respect.

Nothing bad to say about LED's either. THey are brighter and more energy efficient . . .

Brighter than what? LEDs are attractive, but they are not bright. Viewed from a distance LEDs can be great. But they don't create the glow of incandescents.

Okay, you can delete this thread.

Like I said, this is not the first time, enough is enough. While probably made in jest, I DO take offense to someone telling me to "get out of the game" because I have chosen to build my display out of LEDs. Just asking for a little respect.

BTW, my display is 25% LED and I am phasing more in next year. While, I prefer the look of incands, LEDs are beginning to look more and more incands look and the quality is increasing year after year. So, I foresee a time when I will be full LED.

I'm having fun reading this thread and do not take offense to anything I read on the internet, even if it is aimed directly at me.

Have a great season!

Edited by indytycoon

I do my part for the environment every day,not just during the holidays. I set out my recycling every week and help my mother with EarthShare meetings in Austin. Going to another one this Friday. With being around environmentalists all the time,we've all come to the conclusion that we can't encourage people to change by badgering them or talking down to them. Doesn't work. People don't like to be ridiculed about their lifestyle choices. Instead,we chose to encourage them to change by showing other benefits besides saving the environment or money on their electricity bill. I like to point out the idea of self-reliance. The kind of self reliance that my grandparents had during the War,by rationing and using way less energy because they had to.My grandmother drew lines on the back of her legs to make it look like she had hose on because they needed all the silk for the parachutes during the war. That kind of self reliance is what I like to encourage with environmentalism. It makes me feel good to fix my own stuff around the house and help the environment by reusing some stuff that broke for another purpose. It shouldn't make anyone feel forced to do so and I wouldn't like it if someone told me about the "evils of incandescents" when I know the evils of cars,air conditioners,spray paint,producing the plastics to make Christmas lights of ANY kind,pretty much being humans in general. We don't neccesarilyl need to go all LED,we can help the environment in tons of other ways. Don't just use the holidays to do it if you are concerned about it. Christmas lights of any kind,don't make much of a dent compared to the stuff we do all year long. It may make a dent in your wallet,but if you are really concerned about the environment,don't just use the holidays to make up for the other stuff we do all year long. I bought my first LED's for the outside last month. They look nice and I hope I won't have to replace any part of them for a long time. But I still have my incandescents and always will.:)

This is a fun thread ... as you do see people at walmart and they WILL look at you funny when you start moving around trays of lights or using multiple carts ... or searching through items (looking for green LEDs) ... they KNOW that you know something ... and they are curious.

Its also funny because when they realize how experienced we are, they realize (or not) that its like giving flying pointers to Sulley ... or Yeager.

I think there comes a time when you either have to:

(a) stay with incandescents, because of the huge investment you have already made and also because the replacement costs are still very reasonable (on a large scale) when you consider the clearance prices typically paid (75-90% off). This also means someday upgrading the power / panel ... and thats the investment made ... and its reliable and never breaks, its just a big investment in power.

(B) go with LED(s), or switch the LED(s) instead of doing the big power upgrades.

© hybrid approach, where you start at (a) and move towards (B) as budget allows.

I can tell you its pretty nice to have C9(s), but to be able to add in a bunch of LED channels with them, so its still all serviced by a 15amp circuit.

I find myself in the © camp ... and realizing that if I keep doing this, I'd rather switch to LED(s) and keep the same power than invest in in a service power upgrade ... mainly because I see myself doing this maybe 2-5 more years ... and not necessarily as a lifetime hobby.

If I knew I would be doing this till age 70 ... then I'd be more firmly in the (a) or (B) camp ... and only go (B) when the price makes it a no-brainer ... and then the clearance items include vast amounts of LED(s) every year.

And to think, all this discussion is about colored computer parts strung on wire made up to look like Christmas lights.

Get over it... :D

To Quote BMcMeanie:

"You guys can put up all the LED lights you want, but don't start calling them Christmas Lights. Christmas Lights are either bulbs that screw into a C-9, C-7 or push into a mini socket, are made out of glass and break when you drop them, they give off lots of heat and make your electric meter spin like crazy.

If you can't afford to do an electrical upgrade to several hundred amps and pay the bill when it comes, get out of the game. This is for real.

LED'S ARE FOR SISSY'S!"

Magii,

If you look at his signature line you will notice he isn't using "real Christmas light controllers" ...

If you can't afford REAL light controllers...

:P