Now THIS is what I call a Mega Tree

I was at the Mall of America Friday night and checked out their Christmas decor. They were still setting it all up, but had a lot out already. They have 2 trees that are about 3 stories tall. I always wondered how they put them together. Well one of them was complete, and the other was half done, so I got to see what the guts looked like. It was pretty cool.

Here's a pic of the completed tree:

mega7.jpg

This is the half completed tree:

mega2.jpg

The frame is equipped with hundreds of electrical outlets. I wonder how much power can be run on this tree.

mega1.jpg

mega3.jpg

mega5.jpg

mega6.jpg

Comparison pic:

mega4.jpg

The skids are full of tree pieces. They are converting the bulbs to LED, so the trees are not as bright this year but still very impressive. Can you imagine setting one of these up in your yard? I'm glad I'm not the one figuring out where everything goes.

Holy outlets batman! Good greif, I wonder why so many??? Like every "branch" has a seperate plug I suppose. From the looks of the picture, they don't have that many lights on them, but I'm sure it's deceiving because they are in a well lit building and the lights have to be large and plentiful to be seen? LEDs... Oh great. I wonder if they use C-9 size lamps or larger? I'd imigine the power consumption on a tree that size with normal C-9 bulbs would be huge...

I wonder what one of those trees COST??

Holy outlets batman! Good greif, I wonder why so many??? Like every "branch" has a seperate plug I suppose.

Right, I'm sure it's set up so the branch can be hung and just plugged into the frame. It's probably wired up so they could use incandescent C9's, which would be a huge amount of power...

...From the looks of the picture, they don't have that many lights on them, but I'm sure it's deceiving because they are in a well lit building and the lights have to be large and plentiful to be seen? LEDs... Oh great. I wonder if they use C-9 size lamps or larger? I'd imigine the power consumption on a tree that size with normal C-9 bulbs would be huge...

I wonder what one of those trees COST??

You're right, the photos don't show how many lights are in the tree. I took the pics with my Blackberry which takes good photos outside in bright light but anywhere else they are hit or miss. I'm second guessing myself here, but I'm pretty sure they were C7 and not C9. I don't remember these trees being LED last year, so my guess is they're switching out the bulbs as they put it up. You can see spots where they missed changing out the bulbs so there are a few incandescent here and there which really stand out.

I also don't remember these trees being flocked before???

You're right, the photos don't show how many lights are in the tree. I took the pics with my Blackberry which takes good photos outside in bright light but anywhere else they are hit or miss. I'm second guessing myself here, but I'm pretty sure they were C7 and not C9. I don't remember these trees being LED last year, so my guess is they're switching out the bulbs as they put it up. You can see spots where they missed changing out the bulbs so there are a few incandescent here and there which really stand out.

I also don't remember these trees being flocked before???

I found some in the pictures :P

Brice (I think that his first name) Kindla has a similar style tree he puts up.

2007 pictures really show it's structure. http://kindlachristmas.com/Christmas2007.asp

The tree is 80 Amps total for C9 regular white lighting. The number of outlets is to allow a minimum amount of extension cords to each lighted branch of the tree. The tree is broken into 6 circuits each requiring 15A of service.

I know this because we power one for my commercial display in Guam (Micronesia Mall). To control the tree better with channels, I had them modify the tree into 16 individual channels (still totalling 80A) to allow me to control lighting horizontally. Since they consume so much electricity, they sure eat up the maximum capacity for each LOR controller (taking 3 controllers just for the tree).

It's is animated to music with animated lighting...and has a snowblower in the top...

There's a snow machine in it this year? I really need to get back down to Broadway (you'd think I'd be there more often since I work across the street from it).

The pictures of the trees are awesome. I can't imagine having two of them like they have.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always noticed that LED's are brighter than incandescents, but you are saying the opposite. Could it be a "green" power consumption issue?

I've noticed that the mini-style LED's appear brighter, but I find the C7 and C9 to be dimmer. In areas where they missed replacing the incandescents on the tree, it looks brighter.

Here is a tree we put up in the yard of larrytcupp. This lot was flooded to a depth of about the middle of the tree when the big floods hit GA in September. That is Bill Learning on top, Chris Obergas in the middle and Joey Felix holding the ladder. This used to be a tree for a city in North Carolina and takes about 50 amps to light up. The house is still not repaired, but we thought it should show some Christmas spirit.

post-7620-129571177032_thumb.jpg