Mounting boat winch to pole

Dave

Not much info to go on. Is this pole steel, is it galvanised, is it aluminum,is it wood, what is dia? Best bet might be to mount plate to post and mount winch to plate. This plate could be welded or bolted thru pole depending on dia etc. Does winch rotate around post or slide up and down. How are you using this winch? I'm guessing it is a mega tree! Give some more facts and I'm sure you will get some good ideas.

Weld a bolt to the mast. This can either be used to mount part of the winch to, or as a "stop" to prevent it from slipping. You could also use a set of antenna mounting brackets between the winch and the pole. The brackets have "teeth" that grip the smooth surface of the pole better. Another "field expedient" fix is to place a small C-clamp just above the winch.

Edited by Flanigan

Did you use the bracked that came with the clamp or just the u-bolt. If you used the u-bolt alone directly to the winch it will never hold. The clamp and bracket teeds to make contact around te entire diameter of the pipe.

Your winch should mount on the bracket and the bracket and u-bolt should go to the pipe.

Anthony

Dave

Not much info to go on. Is this pole steel, is it galvanised, is it aluminum,is it wood, what is dia? Best bet might be to mount plate to post and mount winch to plate. This plate could be welded or bolted thru pole depending on dia etc. Does winch rotate around post or slide up and down. How are you using this winch? I'm guessing it is a mega tree! Give some more facts and I'm sure you will get some good ideas.

Thats about the best way as Bill said. I used a 1/2 plate to attach the winch to and then the plate was attached to the pole using 2 clamps. Make sure you have your bolt heads towards the pole. If any of the tread sticks out towards the pole it could cause some problems.

I didn't trust U bolts not to slide so I drilled right through with 5/16".

It's 1.5" EMT electrical conduit. I'm sure the holes weekend it a little bit, but it's a gamble we chose to take. I can't imagine we'll have an issue. It is still very strong.

I probably wouldn't have tried it with fence rail.

Thanks to everyone for the great info. I am using 1 1/4 inch Galvanized water pipe. I am using it to pull about 90 strings of lights. When the strings got about 1/4 way up the winch started moving. The way I set it up was I used U bolt to mount a piece of wood to the pole then use 3/8 inch lag bolts to mount the winch. What is the recomendded size wire I should be using?

Dave

What do you guys do to make sure the little clicker does not come loose on the winch. I just put on a clamp and tightened it up.

I zip tie mine in place. I just don't want someone to mess with it. I get a lot of foot traffic (kids) I don't want them to get hurt.

Guest HUSEMANFAMILYLIGHTS

Hey everyone, My name Steven and I am the son of xlt800 and think we (xlt800 and I) have found a solution. The plan is to take a section of our pole, to my school and have the U-Bolts welded (since we welding is offered at my school and it's free) to the pole. I would think that this would be sufficient enough to prevent the slipping of the winch. Any concerns regarding this?

-Steven H.

Welding studs, U-bolts or a plate to the pole would certainly do it. Has anyone here ever drilled through the pipe and had it fail later do to being weakened?

If you do want to go with a clamp system, a pair of scaffold clamps would hold more weight than you would ever want to put on the pole with no risk of slipping.

http://www.thescaffoldwarehouse.com/3-Stud-Clamp-PSV-773T.htm?categoryId=-1

gary

post-6159-129571169777_thumb.jpg

Guest HUSEMANFAMILYLIGHTS

Gary, It is a nice idea, but how would we mount the block of wood to the clamp?

Welding studs, U-bolts or a plate to the pole would certainly do it. Has anyone here ever drilled through the pipe and had it fail later do to being weakened?

If you do want to go with a clamp system, a pair of scaffold clamps would hold more weight than you would ever want to put on the pole with no risk of slipping.

http://www.thescaffoldwarehouse.com/3-Stud-Clamp-PSV-773T.htm?categoryId=-1

gary

Edited by HUSEMANFAMILYLIGHTS
Corrected Name

I haven't seen your winch, but the clamps have threaded studs. Put two of them on the back of a square plate and mount the winch on the plate. Or if your winch will allow it, put the two clamps directly on the winch bracket.

Once this is assembled, mounting or remvoving it from the pole would take just seconds.

Welding would definately be cheaper, but the clamps would allow you to easily remove the winch when storing the pole.

Here's a picture of one with a wing nut on the stud:

post-6159-129571169871_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone, My name Steven and I am the son of xlt800 and think we (xlt800 and I) have found a solution. The plan is to take a section of our pole, to my school and have the U-Bolts welded (since we welding is offered at my school and it's free) to the pole. I would think that this would be sufficient enough to prevent the slipping of the winch. Any concerns regarding this?

-Steven H.

Steven

I feel welding a plate to the pole is foolproof way. Don't understand why you want to weld u bolts to pole. A plate gives you more versatility if you want to change winch in future. But with my limited welding experience I was never able to arc weld galvanized but that was years ago but I'm sure things have changed and it may not be a problem for someone who knows what they are doing. Certainly your school welding instructor can give you the proper direction. Good luck.

I screwed my winch to the 1 1/2" steel pipe using 3 self drilling hex head #12 screws (we call them drill screws). It held up 128 strands with 3/4" of ice last year without a problem at all. At the end of the season I can remove the winch for storage. No welding needed.

Chuck

I'm using the Home Depot fence rail post ... 1 3/8" ... any tips on the best way to attach the winch to this pole specifically?

This will be to support a 20' megatree holding 9600 mini lights (96 strands) ... and a 3d CLS star.

I kind of like those scaffolding parts, but would not know which one would fit best.

I also like the attachment previously mentioned using the U channel. (see attached), but my U bolts don't fit the fencerail all that tightly currently.

Thanks,

scott

Edited by taybrynn

I'm using the Home Depot fence rail post ... 1 3/8" ... any tips on the best way to attach the winch to this pole specifically?

This will be to support a 20' megatree holding 9600 mini lights (96 strands) ... and a 3d CLS star.

I kind of like those scaffolding parts, but would not know which one would fit best.

I also like the attachment previously mentioned using the U channel. (see attached), but my U bolts don't fit the fencerail all that tightly currently.

Thanks,

scott

If you make any type of bend or cut, by using the u bolt on that fence rail you will weaken a lot. You will have the perfect place for it to fail.

My father said I should just put some lath board behind it, so I won't compromise the rail in any way when I tighten it down.

I'm also thinking or switching to the muffler clamps, possibly.

Thoughts?

What I would do, if you want to use the top rail, is see if you can find a bigger pipe that the top rail would fit inside of. Something that would have a little space between it, but not much. Mount your winch to that pole instead.