Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Toymakr000

Michigan Display setup

The weather here in Livonia has been remarkable so far here, for setup.

I've gotten 27,900 lights up so far, and plan to finish just in time. My goal is 50,000 lights and I am going to have to stay busy and have a lot of luck to pull this off in time:) As always!

How are the rest of my fellow Michiganders doing?

I've heard from Livonia Lights (The Howse's display) They are also moving right along...

Gary,

The weather has been great. Got alot done yesterday and finished sequencing today. Still have some more lights to add on the roof, put up the strobes and driveway arches. Then I have to run all the power. I feel alot better about being on schedule than I did a couple of weeks ago.

Gary,

I got the MegaTree up and just need to plug the lights into the controllers, the roof & window lights lights are up and plugged in, the new Marty fan is placed and ready to go.

I would say I'm about 2 nights away from testing, I still need to move the big screen TV to the front, but I'm just waiting until the show starts for that.

Its has been a lot more work this year since we redid almost everything, the 11 minitrees went to (9) 4 color trees that are 3ft tall. The MegaTree now has 3 colors (Clear, Red, & Green).

Now I'm trying to scramble to finish sequencing, since I spent so much time redoing stuff.

I was enjoying the warm weather also - ive got the mega tree up, roof line lights done , half of the driveway archs and all the stuff pulled out of storage ready to go.

My display started going up on Nov 1st as my time to do the work is limited to weekends.

This is my first year to keep track of how many light I am putting up. To date... 23,683 lights but not that much more to go. Hope to reach 25,000 this year.

Tested the lights as I was setting up to insure programming, computers and lights all worked.

A couple more days of actual set up and I am done! Then...programming. I still have 6 more songs to modify to incorporate the new items in the display this year and if I have time....one more song to sequence. All that before Thanksgiving.

Plan to drive around this year to look at all the shows in the area.

Doug

Hey is there 1 central spot were all the Michigan people have directions to there shows ? Gary's place is on my regular yearly route but ive never seen joeengler's display. Im in his neck of the woods all the time.

Dave,

Not sure if there is one central place, but we live on Belton st in Garden City. 1 1/2 blocks north of Cherry Hill and 2 blocks west of Inkster.

We are having the US Marines for opening night to collect toys for the toys for tot program. 11/28

It would be nice if we had a list of all the addressess for everyone's display here in the Detroit metro area. I would love to see them all.

If you want to email me your address, I'll consolidate them and send everyone a spreadsheet.

Just a thought????

[email protected]

Im fine with sending in mine - all tho, i only have a static display.

Joe - ive got your directions saved in my phone :) ill be sure to check it out!

I've started working on a map on Google maps that shows local displays. I could use the addresses as well!

Thanks,

Gary

Here's the short list so far. Dave I need to add you as well.

Actually I would like to add all of Michigan! So If anyone would like to be on this map let me know. I'm going to link it from my website. If you have a website as well You can also post the link.

I'll add everybody that responds and any others I see in my travels...

Michigan Map Of Displays

Started November 1st, completed today.

For the most part...weather was not an issue. Glad I started early.

Fire off the show on Thanksgiving.

Hope ALL of you have a GREAT Holiday season.

Now I can sit back and take a break. Well kinda...I can sit....but it is in front of a computer to complete all the programming. 12 songs modified for this years addition to the display. 8 more to go.

Doug

hearnschristmas

www.hearnschristmas.com

52195 Maurice

Macomb MI, 48042

This is my 4th LOR year. 40-50k lights 80% LED this year.

130+ channels

Running Dec 1st 2009 - Jan 3rd 2010

4:45pm -Midnight

Looking forward to help fill up the map.

Chris Hearns

If anyone sees any great displays when they're out and about write down the address and a description. Then either PM or post it on this thread.

I try to check every day.

I've been having some issues with my display so I haven't been on PC as much as I normally am. Things are going better so I will be here like normal soon.;)

All,

Talk about bad timing, due to a pending move to a different house we have had to turn off the lights for 2009. I real don't see anyway to get them setup at the new house that we just closed on.

We have started to pack up some of the lights for the move, would have been nice to wait until after Christmas. But you take what ever you get now a days.

Staying in Garden City, off of merriman rd between cherry hill & ford. It also has a little bigger lot for the display next year.

Hooting my horn, channel 4 stop by on Tuesday for Chuck's Holiday (CHRISTmas) Lights, it also aired on Tuesday night on the 11:00 news.

We have a 24,206 static lights display (but who's counting)

Marasco's Christmas

18110 22 Mile Rd.

Macomb,Mi 48044

Doc, with google street view, is this your house pictured at Halloween? or do you have a cemetery in your front yard?:P

That's great you were on Ch4!!!

Edited by Toymakr000