Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
skarah1313

Have a drunk neighbor?

I was just in the garage,with the door shut,putting out the trash when I heard the next-door neighbor's dog barking. She always barks so I didn't think of it. Then I go outside to the backyard and see my other next-door neighbor looking out of her window,waving at me. I told her to come outside,since I didn't know what she was saying through the glass. She told me that the guy across the street was drunk again,but now he's out in his yard and behind my house falling down drunk and talking to my neighbor's dog. That's why the dog was barking. So I look and he's definitely drunk in his driveway,spilling his beer all over the place. He's always drunk but he's never gotten this out of hand. Does anyone have a drunk neighbor like this? Should we call the cops? He's starting to creep me out.

I was just in the garage,with the door shut,putting out the trash when I heard the next-door neighbor's dog barking. She always barks so I didn't think of it. Then I go outside to the backyard and see my other next-door neighbor looking out of her window,waving at me. I told her to come outside,since I didn't know what she was saying through the glass. She told me that the guy across the street was drunk again,but now he's out in his yard and behind my house falling down drunk and talking to my neighbor's dog. That's why the dog was barking. So I look and he's definitely drunk in his driveway,spilling his beer all over the place. He's always drunk but he's never gotten this out of hand. Does anyone have a drunk neighbor like this? Should we call the cops? He's starting to creep me out.

Give him a pint of vodka before you call the cops. Buy the time they get there he will be good for a couple days away and they will be watching a lot closer.

I would call the cops, if it is very cold outside he could be injured or die if he passes out in the cold.

He never passed out. He eventually went inside. His drinking problem seem's to be getting worse.

Give him a pint of vodka before you call the cops. Buy the time they get there he will be good for a couple days away and they will be watching a lot closer.

That's an idea.....I'm surprised his wife didn't come outside and yell at him. She's a real uh,.......sweety. Might be one of the reasons he drinks so much.

Not 100% what your laws are there - but - once he is on the street it could be public consumption of alcohol - but - you are in Texas.

Not 100% what your laws are there - but - once he is on the street it could be public consumption of alcohol - but - you are in Texas.

He wasn't just on the street,he was in my driveway and the lawn.

It depends on the city and the state. In my city, the second you step out on your front porch, you can be charged with "drunk in public." Not many cops will go around looking for people that are drinking on their front porchs. This is typically used when a person is being a problem or are a danger to themselves or others. An officer will transport the person to the city jail, they will be processed through and then released on bail. This will normally give the person enough time to sober up and its a misdameanor I believe that they will just have to pay a fine for.

Edited by blndnwo2luv
Added info

You're in Texas and he was on your property? Just shoot him! ;) (I KID! I KID!)

Seriously, call the LEOs out to deal with him. He needs help and they're part of the process of getting it if he can't go get it himself.

You're in Texas and he was on your property? Just shoot him! ;) (I KID! I KID!)

Seriously, call the LEOs out to deal with him. He needs help and they're part of the process of getting it if he can't go get it himself.

Don't be silly. He has to be stealing something from you or a neighbor before you can shoot in him the back here lol

In Texas being drunk in someone elses yard would be public intox and if you are a serious PITR to the cops, it might be criminal tresspass. Glad he went back into his own house.

Time for a video camera? Are you worried he's going to get into your decorations come Christmas time?

If I had someone "falling down drunk" wandering around in my yard, I'd have called the police not only for my protection if he became violent but for his, in case he fell down and hurt himself (of course he could sue me for falling down on my property.) That's why I do not allow alcohol ANYWHERE on my property (call me a kill-joy if you wish) but I do not want people to hurt themselves and sue me.

I don't allow trespassing either, mainly because we had people who tried to hunt on our property (after the sun set... behind my house... pitch dark... What were they thinking?) It's been quiet this year though. I like to be able to work in my yard and not have to worry about rednecks with rifles (and beer) shooting at me. I SWEAR, I am NOT a deer. Or a possum.

My wife and I are not only dead-set against alcohol because we are Baptists but because we know someone close by who almost killed himself drinking. It was so bad that if he even has cough syrup, he could die. It's better to just not allow it at all that try to moderate any visitors.

Anyway, good luck with this gentleman. Sounds like he needs help with a TERRIBLE addiction and perhaps he and his wife need a little councilling. She might not be a peach but one has to wonder how much of her attitude is due to his drinking and vice-versa. Some communication is needed there.

Ya' all have a great day.

At least until a few years ago, it used to be illegal to get OUT of the car with an open container here in Wyoming. Yep, it was OK to have it open IN the car. I think they changed the law quite recently...

Some visitors to our state get a kick out of us having drive-thru liquor stores (I guess not everyone has those, huh?).

At least until a few years ago, it used to be illegal to get OUT of the car with an open container here in Wyoming. Yep, it was OK to have it open IN the car. I think they changed the law quite recently...

Some visitors to our state get a kick out of us having drive-thru liquor stores (I guess not everyone has those, huh?).

I tell you, I thought it was the coolest thing not to have to get out of your car to pick up a six pack to go. What people may not realize is just how cold a WY winter is and why you wouldn't want to get out of the car in the first place. Oh, what it is to be young and stupid.

Getting back on subject, the person that has the neighbor as the drunk, call the police(remember not to dial 911 unless it's a true emergency). Just because he has a problem doesn't mean it should become yours.People do stupid things when intoxicated or under the influence.

I live on a street that is the major east west way to cross town. At all hours, I get people walking by, some minding there business and others looking for a place to urinate or throw their garbage over the fence. In the time I've owned the property, I've had cars crash into my fence, people passed out on my lawn( one of them got peed that I turned on my irrigation system on and smashed my neighbors car window) I no longer try to deal with them on my own. I just call my local pd and tell them there an intoxicated person passed out on my property. Usually they send a rescue and PD unit within a few minutes.

...spilling his beer all over the place...

Alcohol abuse

I tell you, I thought it was the coolest thing not to have to get out of your car to pick up a six pack to go.

Had a beer barn near where I grew up. Not only could you buy a keg to go (they would load it up for you), but you could buy a quart of tap in a carton. Not to be outdone, neighboring Louisiana was speckled with "Daiquiri Depots" that would sell you mixed drinks to go.

Edited by Dale W

As far as I know,this was the first time he left his property and wandered around to talk to neighborhood dogs. He's kept to his own property so far as I know since then. I think he was embarrassed that me and the neighbors next door caught him in the act of wandering around. He doesn't work and he drinks all day long. He's always drunk. He can't work because he got in a wreck with a diesel on the highway a few years back so I think he's miserable and bored. The wreck put him in the hospital for a few months. So he drinks.

If it were just a noncreepy neighbor that went on an occasional drunk I would say help him home and forget it...but this guy needs help and he is not getting it at home.

I would start calling the cops everytime he's out drunk....maybe enough trips in front of a judge and he will get the help he needs.

So here's a story that I heard once when I was called in to court for jury duty:

Basically the way that the court is set up where I'm from is that first there is traffic court after which is a break for an hour and then criminal court occurs. Well since it was the first time that I have ever had to serve on jury duty, I decided to get in about 1.5 hours before I was told to come (since I didn't know that the court was set up in this way). So since I got there early, I was lucky enough to sit on the last few cases left for traffic court.

Anyway here's the point:

One of the traffic court cases was that a cop happened to clock a person on a motorcycle going around 165 miles (what were they thinking?) and serve that person with a traffic ticket. Anyway the jest of what the judge said that he didn't care if the person kills himself, but that he will not allow that person to kill other people by driving recklessly. Hence, that driver's license was suspended and revoked for the next year.

However there was another case in traffic court. This case involved a person driving an uninsured car, possession of an illegal and controlled substance, driving without a license, dui under the control of alcahol and dwi under the control of drugs. However this all happened on that person's property. In no uncertain terms, the judge asked the cop "what were you thinking?" Since this person was not charged with possibility of killing someone, nor could this person's actions lead to a person's death, as there was no one on that property, except for that person. Therefore, this case was dismissed and nothing happened to this person.

So here's my point - does this guy just like drinking, or is he a menace to society? The only thing that he can be charged with is the disturbance of peace. And then whoever calls the cops, is a straight up d***.

Or does this person threaten to harm anyone, such as you, your neighbor or your neighbor's dog? Do his actions, whether directly or indirectly, lead to any violence? Then, you can call the cops on him.

Here's the deal from the info that you have provided, I see no wrong doing on this person's part. I mean maybe he just likes to knock down a cold one, or maybe something in his life has led him to drink. Look you can't diagnose this person, and this person cannot be helped until he wants to help himself and checks himself into rehab.

As far as I know,this was the first time he left his property and wandered around to talk to neighborhood dogs. He's kept to his own property so far as I know since then. I think he was embarrassed that me and the neighbors next door caught him in the act of wandering around. He doesn't work and he drinks all day long. He's always drunk. He can't work because he got in a wreck with a diesel on the highway a few years back so I think he's miserable and bored. The wreck put him in the hospital for a few months. So he drinks.

However, now that I think about, I would gather yourself and enough of the neighbors to go confront him. It sounds like he may need an intervention, if nobody else does it might as well be you.

And from what I gather he's only creepy because he spends most of the day at home (or all of it) and drinks right. Maybe he's really not a creep. I mean he's deppressed and he cant do anything, then what else is he going to do?

Or maybe he's waiting for payment from that truck driver's insurance, or a civil law suit. Maybe he's just bored in the mean time and can't do anything. I mean if he were collecting social security checks, waiting for payment and working, then he would be engaging in an illegal activity - fraud. Unfortunately, this is the way court's see it nowadays. So since he can't do anything in the mean time; he's bored, and just knocks down the cold ones.

What is a judge going to do? No judge will do anything. Yeh they may not like his attitude and how he will look in court but this guy does not lead to the danger of you and your fellow neighbors, right? There's one thing if a person's actions lead to dangerous circumstances for others, but it's a different thing if this does not happen.

Edited by soks

sounds like this guy has lots of time on his hands..

sounds like perfect candidate to put to work sequencing music for your display :)

but then you might end up with songs like "

"Pop-a-Top" and "theres a tear in my beer"...

-Christopher

sounds like this guy has lots of time on his hands..

sounds like perfect candidate to put to work sequencing music for your display :)

but then you might end up with songs like "

"Pop-a-Top" and "theres a tear in my beer"...

-Christopher

That would be a good idea,but he can't even adjust his driveway lights to face his driveway and not the neighbors house. I watched him try to one day. He got confused.

However, now that I think about, I would gather yourself and enough of the neighbors to go confront him. It sounds like he may need an intervention, if nobody else does it might as well be you.

And from what I gather he's only creepy because he spends most of the day at home (or all of it) and drinks right. Maybe he's really not a creep. I mean he's deppressed and he cant do anything, then what else is he going to do?

Or maybe he's waiting for payment from that truck driver's insurance, or a civil law suit. Maybe he's just bored in the mean time and can't do anything. I mean if he were collecting social security checks, waiting for payment and working, then he would be engaging in an illegal activity - fraud. Unfortunately, this is the way court's see it nowadays. So since he can't do anything in the mean time; he's bored, and just knocks down the cold ones.

What is a judge going to do? No judge will do anything. Yeh they may not like his attitude and how he will look in court but this guy does not lead to the danger of you and your fellow neighbors, right? There's one thing if a person's actions lead to dangerous circumstances for others, but it's a different thing if this does not happen.

His wife is none too friendly,so I'll leave them to their affairs. I'm pretty sure he's bored. He usually stays in his house and doesn't venture far. But he does drive drunk so the cops will have to pick him up someday.