Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Vince M

work injury

As some of you know, I work weekends delivering pizza to suplement my income. Last night (Nov. 15) I was assaulted and robbed. I went to a house and 2 guys jumped me, one guy beat me up and stole my $ 20 change bank and cellphone, while the other guy took about $ 20 (my tips for the night) from my car. A bone that supports the eye socket was broken, and my left eye is swollen shut. Friday I am going to have surgery to install a titanium plate in my left eye socket. I am off work till at least Nov. 30. Fortunately, my regular job pays vacation in a lump sum on your work anniversary, which for us means this Friday I have an extra 2 weeks pay coming. That's usually used as our "Christmas club", that we buy the presents with. This year, it looks like it's going to make up lost wages. Worker's comp will reimburse my lost pizza wages, but probably not my regular jobs wages. I am now seriously rethinking my career options.

One thing I am extremely thankful for is a lady who was passing by, I waved my flashlight and she pulled over. She called 911 and stayed with me until both the police and ambulance arrived. I got her name and number from the police, and this afternoon I called her to express my deep thanks. She really was my guardian angel.

My display isn't finished yet, but some of the basic elements are up and I might just take a break from the big display this year and concentrate on recovery.

The next time you order pizza delivery, take a moment to reflect on exactly what hazards we face out there. Robbery, dogs, traffic, trip hazards from people fogetting to turn on porch lights, bad weather, etc, etc. If something isn't exactly right with your order, please give the driver a break and keep your calm. And please turn on your porch lights!

Oh this just makes me so angry :mad: I am so sorry for you. And so sick of the element in our society that only wants to steal and hurt others who are doing their best.

In the city in my area (Amarillo) an 83 year old woman was shoved to the ground in a purse snatching and she died from her injuries. A man visiting from the UK was shot and killed in a robbery in a bar. There have been pizza delivery persons and convenience store clerks killed, and countless others.

I will pray for you to recover quickly.

As terrible as it was, I'm glad it didn't turn out worse. It sounds like you are working through a plan to recover and that is very admirable. Cutting back on the display sounds like a good idea. Do the parts you really enjoy and then take time to enjoy them. Our thoughts are with you.

The surgery was sucessful, the eye area is still swollen and "weepy" but at least I can see out of both eyes now. Thanks to all of you for yor support.

I am so sorry to hear that! I'm glad your surgery was sucessful and you still have your sight. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Vince,

Glad to hear your improving. The delivery business is thankless with little thanks and lots of grief when your late. A few years back a pizza delivery man here locally was lured to an unoccupied house, shot and killed for the few bucks he had on him. You may want to ask yourself it it is worth it? Get well and stay safe. I hope they catch those low life's and prosecute them to the fullest.

We had a similar incident this past year. Three guys tried to jump a pizza delivery man but little did they know he was packing heat and the pizza man shot and killed one of the guys. Of course he lost his job since he was not supposed to carry a gun but he did not get any jail time for it.

Sorry about hearing what happened. But yeh just say screw it to a big display. Right now, you need to concentrate on figuring out what you want to do in your life, if you want to change anything.

But such events as this, is why I believe that people working in such jobs as delivery men, clerks in gas stations and in liquor stores should apply for the right to conceal carry of a firearm.

Glad to hear you are doing better. As stated earlier some jobs are just too dangereous. We recently had a spree of armed robberies locally and in one a clerk was shot and killed after all the money was given up and at another a customer was killed outside because he did not have any money on him. I don't get gas at night and I don't go to a number of places because of the neighborhoods or the looks of people that hang around. Kathy gets off at midnight and I ask her not to stop even at the grocery store or Walmart on the way home. I wish that stores would start closing at decent hours. Convienence at the cost of life is just not worth it. I remember when stores closed at 8 or 9, nothing was open on Sunday except a drug store, gas stations and restaurants. Now its 24-7.