Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
MACK3RZ

Vandalism.. cheap security system and simple install??

Hi, ive been vandalized twice now. I need some cheap system to try to catch the little rats. They do the little things--like rip out bulbs from strands of lights..or steal blow molds..i have a feeling this year is going to be bad..help?

I added security cameras, well I always had the cameras, I added a blinky blinky display. I reccomend CAMERAS and good ones not cheep ones spend at least 150 bucks for a night vision camera. I also recomend you put up an electronic fence, you know the drive way alarms place them all over your display this way when the little vandals enter your display "Alert, Alert".

The run out to the vandals the will be :eek: and you will be :).

Proven to work for me, one night I got the alert looked outside to see vandals under my mega tree. :eek: I chased them with the car and go there license plate and sent the police to there house. :giggle:

I have these and the night images are awesome, day imges are good as well when set at 2.8mm (default).

http://www.videocamerasecurity.net/servlet/the-113/VFD-dsh-X638D1-2.8-dsh-10mm-Varifocal-LENS/Detail

I also have these and the night images are good if you have outside lights on around the cameras. Just not as good as the dome above. The 6mm lens works good to see detail better. I have one of these on my donation box.

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QSC48030-Resolution-Weatherproof-Camera/dp/B000R4HDTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262319999&sr=8-1

The seller of the 2.8 domes sells on eBay as well and is very trustworthy. As with everything you get what you pay for. With cameras, night vision is key.

Jeff

Cheap, I did cheap and it worked as our house seems to be a favorite target for punks.

Our system includes:

4 - motion detectors lights, each w/ a pair of flood lights, ~90 watt bulbs: ~$25 each

1- rotating red beacon, connected to one of the motion detectors, ~$20

1- fake (shhhhhh) video camera placed in a very visible location, ~$25 from Harbor Freight

2 - signs "smile your on camera", ~$5ea

3- signs "warning high voltage" complements of PC, laminated them $4

Total cost $150

I had but didn't use a audio track of the "Cops" theme song. It was to be activated by one of the motion detectors. However I could not control the range of the motion detector well enough to avoid false alarms. But that would have been cool.

Oh, one little extra feature that didn't hurt. I contact the local police precident and asked them to keep an eye on the display and put a cooler out back filled with drinks and snacks for them. Cost: priceless.

So far not a single item touched (knocking on wood).

good luck!

Joe

Rather than relying on perfect night vision, I've just used security lights after-hours. The cameras I use have decent night capability on their own, but with some floodlights on are very good. And cameras don't deter vandalism by themselves, but floods do...

A question for JeffL,

That camera in the first link, you say you have at least one of them? I forgot to note your location. Does it get colder than 14 degrees F at you location? I noticed that this unit is rated down to 14 degrees F and wondering if yours got colder and if so, what happened to the camera. We have been known to go at least to zero sometimes below that.

Thanks

Made it through the first year without any vandals, but I do not want to temp fate twice.

A question for JeffL,

That camera in the first link, you say you have at least one of them? I forgot to note your location. Does it get colder than 14 degrees F at you location? I noticed that this unit is rated down to 14 degrees F and wondering if yours got colder and if so, what happened to the camera.

I have three of them and the temps have got down to -12 this year. Most days for the past two weeks have been below 14. So far they are still working great. The one thing I noticed the other day when I had a couple of the q-see cameras inside is that they were warm while they were working in the dark. I think as long as they stay powered it helps.

I think the cold may affect the IR performance as well.

I checked eBay and he had the 2.8 dome camera cheaper on eBay than his site. Pays to check around.

Motion lights are a great deterrent. We have two street lights and a neighbor across the street that has two floods on motion. They deter honest people but as I seen this summer and caught on camera, it won't deter those that don't care.

Hi guys, thanks for all your advice. I ended up getting motion sensored flood lights, and the qsee camera. Both seemed to work.. no vandals! First year in a long time..phew!

I think before this can be answered you need to first answer another question.

Q: When a person is about to vandalize your display what is it you want to have happen:

A1: If you want to try and film them and get the police involved for prosecuting then you will need a security camera setup that includes the tamper proof water make so the video can be submitted in the courts. So your recorder will need to be good as well as your cameras.

A2: If you want to scare them off hopefully before they damage anything and your not overly bent of catching them, then the security lights are a great idea. Just be sure to have them on a timer of some sort so they don't come on during your display hours.

A3: If you want to catch them in the act, or just as they are about to damage something, the motion sensors are great. They transmit a signal to a unit inside that beeps when motion is detected. I needed 3 to cover my yard. But with this you have to be willing to confront them, maybe even run after them at 2am in a bath robe.

Thoughts?

-Patrick

A question for JeffL,

That camera in the first link, you say you have at least one of them? I forgot to note your location. Does it get colder than 14 degrees F at you location? I noticed that this unit is rated down to 14 degrees F and wondering if yours got colder and if so, what happened to the camera. We have been known to go at least to zero sometimes below that.

Thanks

Made it through the first year without any vandals, but I do not want to temp fate twice.

I'm using a pan/tilt camera I got off of ebay for the first time (in addition to my older cameras). It's only rated to 32 degrees F, and not outdoor rated at all. I have it placed under the eves, where it doesn't get directly rained or snowed on, and it survived this season just fine. It was virtually never 32 degrees here, but colder. Right now it's -6 out, and I just panned/tilted it with no issues at all.

Not sure if I'm lucky, but just another data point (on a different camera).

We hit -27F last night and my cameras worked. Was it good for them? Maybe not but as far as I know there isn't any moving parts in them so they should be ok.