Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
dmoore

500 Mini-Light Coro MiniTrees

I'll have a better idea after the end of the season but as of now, I find them to be quite stiff. The trees are cut with the flutes in a vertical position and with the 30-45 degree bend, that provides additional support. Then to afix it to he ground, I use two of the standard "H" ground stakes for coro - so it has four points of contact with the ground. These are MUCH more stable than my older three-point flower easle mini trees.

It looks like you have these fairly close to the house. My biggest concern would be winds coming from the reverse side, where the 'v' will really catch on to it (from the front, it should largely deflect to both sides). I had a coro sign that broke off the wood stakes holding it up in a moderate windstorm one season...

I had a coro sign that broke off the wood stakes holding it up in a moderate windstorm one season...

I can't imagine that with winds from a "windstorm" something else in a person's display (inflatables, blmw molds, cutouts, etc) wouldn't also suffer the same fate. We had a store come through the other day and I didn't have any issues with the ones in my yard. At some point I'll get out the leaf blower and shoot a video of them at 90mph and we'll have a better idea of their ability to withstand winds.

The white coro does an excellent job on reflecting white light - better than colored coros, but it does "hide" part of the light as the bulb is in the middle of the flutes. So, I wondered what it might look like with "clear" coro that difuses the light better and doesn't "hide" the light in the center of the flute. We'll, the results speak for themselves - here are mutli's which are already not exactly the brightest lights, shown on the left in clear coro and multi's on the right shown in green coro:

[ATTACH]26882[/ATTACH]

As you can see, there is quite a bit of "halo" around each of the lights that helps fill up the tree and define it's outline.

Here are those same coro mini trees shot with a flash:

[ATTACH]26881[/ATTACH]

Here is close-up photo showing the difused light in the "clear" coro:

[ATTACH]26883[/ATTACH]

I see even more possibilities for this in other ways - such as sidewalk "fences" that have mini-arches, candy canes, wording (merry christmas, Jesus is the reason...), radio station addresses, flags, animation, etc. Since they would be just flat sections, I can stack them for storage and putting them out is super easy. Once I have a design, I can just copy-n-paste and make 200ft of multi-channel leaping arches in a few hours.

Of course I could also make full sized arches arch/fan combos - all with perfectly positioned bulbs and no wasted bulbs on the back side of an arch where they don't do anything but muddy up the back of the display.

So many possibilities...

I may be interested in the darker colored trees since I think that I don't like the halo effect.

Can't wait to hear some pricing (and anyone in the Cleveland area - - maybe buy together to save on shipping)

I may be interested in the darker colored trees since I think that I don't like the halo effect.

Can't wait to hear some pricing (and anyone in the Cleveland area - - maybe buy together to save on shipping)

I've been hard at work on this - I've developed the coro mini trees plus about two dozen other related coro based projects. We are still working out the final bit of logistics for shipping, materials utilization, ordering, customization, etc and should have something more detailed in teh February time frame.

The major cost issue is with shipping on these, mostly on some of the larger 4x4 and 4x8 coro items. The coro minitrees in quanity should be cheaper than doing tomato cages and the likes.

Thanks,

David

Guest csx5861

Okay you're using Incandescent bulbs which are okay, but if I were to be interested in a coro tree like this, first thing is I use L.E.D.'s and these can be different sizes as compared to a mini bulb which are all the same size. I'd probably want to use dome style L.E.D.'s and so the holes would have to be a different diameter for these. And since with L.E.D.'s, each manufacturer may use a smaller or larger L.E.D., this would make it almost, but maybe not quite, impossible for the end user to order one of these and have to install their own L.E.D. strings.

Personally if I were to purchase one of these, I'd want the L.E.D. lights pre-installed, esecially on one like I'd want to buy for use with a LOR as a multi-channel (3 channels per) display piece.

If I could buy one pre-made with the L.E.D.'s installed this is what I'd want:

2 basic Trees - with all Greem L.E.D.'s

A dual character tree, Trees (again all Green L.E.D.'s for the tree) and Snowman would have White L.E.D.'s for outline, Red L.E.D's for scarf, Blue L.E.D.'s for Hat, eyes, and buttons, Amber L.E.D.'s for mouth (button type smile) the snowman is one string with the L.E.D. color scheme placed appropriately.

And if made it a trio by adding a Reindeer, the Reindeer woud have all Amber(yellow) L.E.D.'s for the outline and a green L.E.D. for the eye(s)

And I would love a Merry Christmas L.E.D. sign as well, this would be designed for 4 channels.

Merry in all Red L.E.D. (1), Amber/yellow L.E.D. (2) Blue L.E.D. (3), Green L.E.D. (4)

Christmas would be reversed from Merry, Green L.E.D. (1), Blue L.E.D.(2), Amber/Yellow L.E.D. (3) and Red L.E.D. (4)

But that's just my take on how I'd set up a large Coro Merry Christmas sign (2' high lettering x 2' long) and a few different style Coro trees throughout my display. (if it could even be done in that small a space).

Just my ideas on how I'd set up some coro display pieces, but I prefer my stuff be all pre-made including the L.E.D. lighting installed.

And personally I'd expect to pay at least $25-$35 per piece for the full pre-lit L.E.D. trees and around $50-$60 for the pre-lit L.E.D. Merry Christmas sign if they were manufactured commercially with everything installed. (mass production is usually *always* cheaper than "custom" or "limited" production.

If I were still buying incandescant, which I am not, and put them in myself (which I also prefer NOT to do) then I'd expect to pay just for the pre-drilled cutouts - $10-$12 for the tree design, $15-$20 for the Merry Christmas sign.

But they'd just be "static pieces" if I have to install the lighting myself, or I'd use chaser strings for limited animation, but would not be connected to any type of a more sophisticated animation system, like LOR for example.

Anyway, just my take on what I'd be looking for if I were to buy any of these type of items for my Christmas display.

Clay

Edited by csx5861

I've been hard at work on this - I've developed the coro mini trees plus about two dozen other related coro based projects. We are still working out the final bit of logistics for shipping, materials utilization, ordering, customization, etc and should have something more detailed in teh February time frame.

The major cost issue is with shipping on these, mostly on some of the larger 4x4 and 4x8 coro items. The coro minitrees in quanity should be cheaper than doing tomato cages and the likes.

Thanks,

David

Would it be possible to cut them down in size and have the end user attach them together with bracing (think flat brackets on each side of the coro and using small nuts/bolts)

Okay you're using Incandescent bulbs which are okay, but if I were to be interested in a coro tree like this, first thing is I use L.E.D.'s and these can be different sizes as compared to a mini bulb which are all the same size. I'd probably want to use dome style L.E.D.'s and so the holes would have to be a different diameter for these. And since with L.E.D.'s, each manufacturer may use a smaller or larger L.E.D., this would make it almost, but maybe not quite, impossible for the end user to order one of these and have to install their own L.E.D. strings.

The designs we've developed have been tested with M5 and concave LED bulbs with success. That said, we understand that there are many different types of light strings out there, so we will be offering a 3-5 "sample pack" of different hole sizes (Minis, C7, C9) and different colored coro. That way you can see exactly how the your lights look with different density of lights, light propagation in different colors of coro and also to ensure a that your lights have a good fit when you receive your finished product.

Personally if I were to purchase one of these, I'd want the L.E.D. lights pre-installed, esecially on one like I'd want to buy for use with a LOR as a multi-channel (3 channels per) display piece.

At this time we have no intentions of offering "pre-lit" items. We did investigate that as an option and determined it was too costlly and had other drawbacks such as the number of people still on incandescents, types of "white", people able to purchase lights at below cost, etc.

But they'd just be "static pieces" if I have to install the lighting myself, or I'd use chaser strings for limited animation, but would not be connected to any type of a more sophisticated animation system, like LOR for example.

Here is a very nice customer sample of a "static" coro sign we made with chaser lights incorporated into it:

http://www.johnsonschristmascorner.com/Videos/LSH_Coro_Sign.wmv

Though a majority of our designs are targeted toward people using them for sequencing and are geared toward a specific channel count per design, such as our "Baby Sidewalk Arches" here: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=38550

Anyway, just my take on what I'd be looking for if I were to buy any of these type of items for my Christmas display.

Thanks for your feedback - we are finishing up development and testing on a few more designs that will offer lots of new ways to improve the "wow" of your display at an inexpensive price.

Thanks!

David

Edited by dmoore

Would it be possible to cut them down in size and have the end user attach them together with bracing (think flat brackets on each side of the coro and using small nuts/bolts)

As we've designed each item, we tried to keep in mind issues such as strength, materials costs and shipping costs/restrictinos. Nearly all our designs are ready "out of the box" with very few fasteners - just a few items such as our coro fence, light boxes and others require any fasteners. The Coro MiniTrees are not expected to be too complex to ship but some of our other designs are - fencing, sidewalk borders, etc.

Thanks,

David

Love this thread. Already designing for next year. Couple of questions though.

On the baby arches, with other elements "flashing and blinking" does it look ok with the white cordo? Would black do better? Those baby arches would work better in a brighter setup?

Do you have a website that you can order from?

Thanks

Robert

http://burtonchristmaslights.weebly.com/videos.html

On the baby arches, with other elements "flashing and blinking" does it look ok with the white cordo? Would black do better? Those baby arches would work better in a brighter setup?

Do you have a website that you can order from?

We will be offering items in white, clear, red and green coro. Our testing shows that white lights work best with white coro on shapes that don't require "clairity". We've tested white lights on black coro and while it looks good with text or other signs that need clairity, it doesn't look as good with items like arches - it takes on a "light-bright" look.

I'm not sure what the question about the baby arches is.?

David

I'm not sure what the question about the baby arches is.?

David

This is what I am talking about;

"Though a majority of our designs are targeted toward people using them for sequencing and are geared toward a specific channel count per design, such as our "Baby Sidewalk Arches" here: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/sh...ad.php?t=38550"

This is what I am talking about;

"Though a majority of our designs are targeted toward people using them for sequencing and are geared toward a specific channel count per design, such as our "Baby Sidewalk Arches" here: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/sh...ad.php?t=38550"

The designs that we've come up with to-date have been focused not on the static light display folks but those that are factoring in channel counts, multiple colors per element, etc.

Guest csx5861

Here is a very nice customer sample of a "static" coro sign we made with chaser lights incorporated into it:

http://www.johnsonschristmascorner.c..._Coro_Sign.wmv

Very impressive sign!

Also glad to hear they will be pre-drilled for L.E.D.'s, but I'm still not sure I want to tackle installing lights (L.E.D.'s) in all those holes!:P

And thank you for answeing those questions and concerns in my post.

Also glad to hear they will be pre-drilled for L.E.D.'s, but I'm still not sure I want to tackle installing lights (L.E.D.'s) in all those holes!

The actual process of inserting the lights (in the pre-drilled holes) only takes about 5 minutes per hundred, so it takes a lot less time than it seems it might. Kids are also good at putting in the lights also :)

Guest csx5861

The actual process of inserting the lights (in the pre-drilled holes) only takes about 5 minutes per hundred, so it takes a lot less time than it seems it might. Kids are also good at putting in the lights also :)

That doesn't sound too bad. No children here though, so it would either be me or me trying to convince my wife to do it.:rolleyes::giggle:

Here's a little sample that my dad and I designed to use for mounting the coro trees I bought from HolidayCoro.com for our 2010 display...

The coro pushes into the clips at the base and is held at the angle shown. The top piece will be tie-wrapped to the top of the coro tree (probably will punch a couple of new holes in the coro for the tie wrap to go through). This will hold the tree vertically.

The round pieces on the vertical rod will be used to house a ground stake (one of those green ones at Home Depot in the garden center). The knobs will be used to tighten again the stake and prevent the coro tree from twisting...

Our Coro Tree mounting solution....Currently in production at Dad's house in his welding shop...28" size and 42" size for the coro trees this year...

Randy