Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Steven Singleton Jr.

Christmaslightshow Mega Tree Kit??

Just wondering if anyone who has bought this kit has put it up without the base and just let the lights hang to the ground connected to a piece of pvc. I am running WAY behind on setup and wondered if this would work. Anyone?? What I am talking about is like doing the tree like Tim Fischers but with this kit.

I used the guy topper and sliding hook head, but just ran the lights to 3/4" electrical PVC in a circle on the ground. So far so good and I think it looks fine!

Just wondering if anyone who has bought this kit has put it up without the base and just let the lights hang to the ground connected to a piece of pvc. I am running WAY behind on setup and wondered if this would work. Anyone?? What I am talking about is like doing the tree like Tim Fischers but with this kit.

Steven,

I'm not sure if you are talking about Darryl's metal mega or his pvc one, but I have 2 of his pvc trees. I wrapped the trunk the first year, but then it was too much hassle for me, so I just made a pvc ring, laid it on the ground, propped it up off the ground around 6", and used that for the base. They looked great. I will look for some pics.

Bill

I am talking about the metal one. The base I have watched his dvd over and over and for some reason is is not clicking with me and I am running out of time so I may just forgo it this season and run to the ground. Would love to see some pics of your tree jcazz if you do not mind.

I am talking about the metal one. The base I have watched his dvd over and over and for some reason is is not clicking with me and I am running out of time so I may just forgo it this season and run to the ground. Would love to see some pics of your tree jcazz if you do not mind.

I'm using Darryl's metal mega tree kit for the first time this year and have put up the PVC base. It's really rather easy. Purchasing PVC, cutting, fixing up with connectors, then putting around the tree base = 3 hours. Includes travel time.

I don't see the base as being all that critical other than design appearance. I personally want the strings to hang out as wide as they do, and I also have several lighted gifts that go under the tree. So the asthetic works well for my display.

I bought the metal tree kit.

I only used the two suggested rings at the bottom. I attached the bottom one to the ground then attached the top one to it with the snap on connectors and short pieces of pvc pipe.

I made a 'portable hole" and use that at the bottom. I see no reason why you could not put the pole directly on the ground. Just make sure it will not sink into the ground.

HPIM5535.jpg

The ground was/is not level where the tree is. That is why the top rings "legs" are not the same length all the way around.

HPIM5560.jpg

Here are two pics (not the greatest, but you get the idea).

I just ran the strings down to the PVC, wrapped them under and zip tied them to the PVC to hold them in place. I used the ends of wire hangers - cut off with some side dikes - to pin the PVC ring down (you can't see them in these pics).

Jacob

post-8385-129571173004_thumb.jpg

post-8385-12957117302_thumb.jpg

I am wanting to put up a mega-tree this year (I know I don't have much time left). I had already attempted, but didn't read enough first, before I got out there and gave it a go. Needless to say, all the materials ended up in the garage for now.

What diameter size and type of PVC pipe are you guys using for your mega-tree's? How are you bending it into a nice circle? I am wanting a 10' tall tree. I first started off trying to use gray electrical pipe and it did not want to bend, even using a heat gun on it for a while. It turned out more like a oval by the time I was done.

Also, I see a lot of people using the hand-cranks (winches) to raise and lower the top where the light strings attach to. Is this something that you MUST do? I wanted to avoid using any type of winch system. I just wanted to string my lights and pull them taught.

Edited by brad2157

I'm using 1/2" gray pvc conduit. No problems with bending 2 lengths into a 5' diameter circle. It's not oval at all. I have mine suspended from the ground about 8" with 4 stakes and use wire ties (like Jacob) to attach the lights.

From what I calculated, I need 15' of pvc to make a circle for the base of my 10' tall tree. In your case, did you have to heat up the segments of pipe to allow you to bend them into a full circle?

I'm using 1/2" gray pvc conduit. No problems with bending 2 lengths into a 5' diameter circle. It's not oval at all. I have mine suspended from the ground about 8" with 4 stakes and use wire ties (like Jacob) to attach the lights.

From what I calculated, I need 15' of pvc to make a circle for the base of my 10' tall tree. In your case, did you have to heat up the segments of pipe to allow you to bend them into a full circle?

Not at all. For my 5' circle, the total length was about 15' 9", so I don't see an issue for you with 15'. I used 2 equal length pieces for mine.

Not at all. For my 5' circle, the total length was about 15' 9", so I don't see an issue for you with 15'. I used 2 equal length pieces for mine.

Awesome! That is very good to know! My local Lowe's only carries a 5' long 1/2" and 3/4" peices of the gray electrical PVC pipe. I am hoping that won't cause any troubles coupling 3 of them together. I think I am going to make a list of what all I need and run by Lowe's after I get off from work.

Thanks a bunch for your help! I really appreciate it

Edited by brad2157

I got my 10' sections at my local Lowe's. I'm surprised that yours doesn't carry 10' sections.

Well, believe it or not, I actually stopped by after work tonight and they DID have the 10' sections. I had just checked their website earlier and it did not list them for my zip code. I was glad they had them and they are pretty cheap at that..I think they were like $0.82 each.