Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
bs2000atsf

Programming christmas countdown clock

Just Purchased A Christmas clock w/ Countdown From Big Lots that looks like a giant Present.

The direction show that the buttons DUSM is down,up,set,mode

The first cycle under set mode should be current date (set hit 4 times)

Then it goes to the time in a 24hr mode cycle through that (set hit 4 times)

The next function should be the date you want to count down to However mine just exits and begins to count down.

Has any one else baught this or anyone know how to fix my clock because as of now it shows 365 days and X amount of hrs till IDK what.

OK after two days of trying to figure this out, I have it:santasmileyitty:

For those wondering this is how to do it.

Follow the direction given for step 1 + 2 If you need them I can post it for you.

After completing hit mode:

Then hit set

The first range will be the date

HR is month, Min is date, sec is Year

hit set

This is time of event ex for Christmas would be hr=00 min=00

this will count down to 12/25 at 00:00 so right at Midnight

hit set and your clock is now set.

Shouldn't it hit 00:00 at midnight the 24th ?

Yes you either have to set the date to 12/24 and time to 23:59 which is a min off or 12/25 at 00:00 which is midnight on 12/24 (now 12/25)

Will this work for any count down clock? I have a snowman countdown that we got last year and I can't find the directions.

Will this work for any count down clock? I have a snowman countdown that we got last year and I can't find the directions.

I spent about an hour trying to set my snowman countdown clock with no luck. Within 5 minutes my kid had it set....so if you have kids, there you go. if you don't have any kids, have fun practicing and soon you'll have some. In the meantime, get ahold of a neighbor's kid. :-)

Joe

Shouldn't it hit 00:00 at midnight the 24th ?

Technically, it's midnight the 25th (12:00AM on Dec 25, which is the minute after 11:59PM on the 24th)

The trick with these that usually throws people is you set the hour/min/sec of the CURRENT time (24-hour format), and it converts it to countdown time when you hit the C button.

Technically, it's midnight the 25th (12:00AM on Dec 25, which is the minute after 11:59PM on the 24th)

Technically/digitally speaking there is no such time as 12:00AM. It's 11:59PM then 00:00 AM

I should add - when using a 24 hour clock. 09:00, 13:00, 19:00 etc...

Technically/digitally speaking there is no such time as 12:00AM. It's 11:59PM then 00:00 AM

I've never had a 12-hour clock that displayed it that way :)

OK after two days of trying to figure this out, I have it:santasmileyitty:

Thank YOU! This worked perfectly.

Programming the Big Lots Christmas Countdown Clock

I got mine to work by doing the following (note that once you start the sequence, if you don't press any buttons for about 12 seconds, the display will revert to where it was and you'll have to start over):

1. To start, the time (lower display) should be counting UP. Look at the seconds field. If it's counting UP, go on to the next step. If it's counting down, press the M (mode) button once. It should now be counting UP.

2. Press the S (set) button. The first field (month) should be flashing. Use the U (up) or D (down) buttons to set the current month. When the month is right, press the S (set) button once. The second field (day) should be flashing. Use the U or D buttons to set the current day. When it's right, press the S (set) button once. The third (year) field should be flashing. Again use the U or D buttons to set the current year. When it's right, press the S (set) button once.

3. The display will change to the next set of fields (the time fields). The first field (hour) should be flashing. Use the U or D buttons to set the current hour. NOTE - THIS IS DONE IN 24-HOUR TIME. SO 3 pm GETS ENTERED AS '15'. When the hour is right, press the S (set) button once. The second field (minutes) field should be flashing. Again, use the U or D buttons to set the current minute. Now press the S (set) button once. The third field (seconds will be flashing). Leave it at whatever it is, and press the S (set) button again. The display will revert to the counting mode and you can proceed to the next step. If you want the accuracy to the second, Email me and I'll give you the extra steps needed to get to-the-second accuracy.

4. The current date and time is set and the display should be counting UP at this point. NOW PRESS THE M (MODE) BUTTON ONCE. The display should now be counting DOWN. You will now set the target date and time.

5. Press the S (set) button once. The first field (month) should be flashing. Use the U or D buttons to set the target month. When it's right, press the S (set) button once. The second field (day) should be flashing. Use the U or D buttons to set the target day. When it's right, again press the S (set) button and set the target year. When it's right, press the S (set) button again. The display will switch to the target TIME and show '00' '00' '00' which is midnight. The first field will be flashing. If you want a target time other than midnight (for example, counting down to a birthday when the exact time of birth is known), change the hour as needed. Press the S (set) button to advance to the middle (minutes) field. Change if needed. When it's right, press the S (set) button again. The display will revert to the countdown mode with the number of days, hours, minutes and seconds to go to the target date and time.

It took me and three people two days to get it set !!! I was about to through it across the street or take it back but finally got it set:eek:.

OMG! I thought i was the only one! It about got tossed across the living room...Bad thing is, its still not set. I had to put it away for fear of taking a sledge hammer to it...

I will try again, with some more patience this time... Thanks for this thread