Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
W Lewis

LOR Animated Light Show

This is the first year I have used my controllers for the lights on my house, previously I used a mega tree. I am having trouble with my lights in the house flickering when my shows are running. Any one with an idea what could be causing this?

if you have your controller / individual channel overloaded this can cause flickering. especially when you have a heavy load such as a TV / washer etc on the same circuit as your controller.

All of my controllers are on individual circuits that I installed just for my garage and controllers. I think the light flickering is due to the power draw that is happening from the main power feed. I had it last year and I added more lights this year but switched alot of the lights to the CFL's it isn't as noticible but I'm starting to see it in my TV tonight but didn't have a problem with it yesterday.

I had this problem. The only way to fix it was for the electric company to give us our own transformer. You are drawing more power than what is available in your neighborhood.

bob

I had this problem. The only way to fix it was for the electric company to give us our own transformer. You are drawing more power than what is available in your neighborhood.

bob

Hmmm sounds like it's time to upgrade again. Already have our own and had to upgrade once. Sounds like it is time for a new upgrade.

its somewhat normal to see that... some things you can do to help that:

make sure that the breakers that drive your show are pulling from both legs of the incoming power feed.. meaning that circuit 1 pulls from the left leg in the main panel.. circuit 2 pulls from the right leg in the panel etc..

in a square D box it is every other breaker pulls from the opposite incoming Leg...

make sure your feed cords to your LOR controllers are HEAVY enough... the Longer the cords for your feed the more the power loss in the cord itself which causes higher amperage draws...

when you sequence watch how your lights turn on and off.. slowerr ramps will cause less noticeable light flicker inside the house.. if you are fading something on.. fade something else off.. watching the TOTAL power draw for your show at any given time keeping it as even as possible reduces indoor light flickering...

obviously doing things like running the dryer, the central air or heatpump, cooking in the kitchen on electric, running electric water heater at the same time your light show is on will pull the main draw of your house up higher and may cause more noticeable light flicker inside..

-Christopher

Alright.:(

How in the world do you get the power company to do that????

I have had them out to my house twice now. The say my supply is adequate. i know I'm drawing a lot but they don't get it! What do you tell them?

I always have that issue. It's caused by using LOTS of power at once. In our Piano Room (which happens to lie in the front of our house and share a circuit with the outdoor outlet) we have 4 can lights on the ceiling and the flicker is VERY noticable. It's because one leg of the controller is on the same circuit. I can see a flicker in some other places of the house, but it's not very noticeable unless I'm playing Wizards in Winter or some other crazy sequence that draws lots of power at once.

Edited by lkcubsrule

Alright.:(

How in the world do you get the power company to do that????

I have had them out to my house twice now. The say my supply is adequate. i know I'm drawing a lot but they don't get it! What do you tell them?

Have one of your neighbors call a few times to complain. it worked for us:giggle:

Guest Lightzilla

Take out your wallet and show the power company that you are loaded with money.

Hello, Newbie to Planet Christmas and the blog/forum world. So, please excuse. You mentioned that the power co installed a transformer. The power co just replaced a blown nineteen seventies step down transformer in my backyard will this mean I am good to go or, do they need to install another? Sadly I will miss having a computerized light show this year and will have to make do with the off the shelf Ge wireless light show. Now if i could only hack it and play mp3's.