Difference in CDI 2009 Full wave lights? and can they fade?

This is my first year running an animated display using LOR.. I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue with fading some of the CDI LED's as I am. Specifically our Blue and Green strands don't seem to fade well at all. IE, at 20% power these colors are at 75% brightness and seem to just "pop" on and off versus a nice fade on and off. Our Orange and Red LEDs seem to fade up and down properly. Is this normal behavior (IE blue/Green led's brighter somehow)? Or is there a way to work around this issue?

Also, one thing I noticed was the Blue/Green LEDs I got from CDI were different from the Red/Orange even though they appeared to be the same style on the web site (70 counts full wave strands).

The Red and Orange strands were one piece construction and had normal looking connectors on the ends. There are female connectors on both ends of the string and rectifier blobs at both ends and in the middle of the strand. The Blue and Green strands on the other hand were not one piece construction and came with replacement bulbs. The start and end connections are three inches long, and there is only a female connection on one end of the strand.

I did not get mine from CDI, but I suspect they are from the same asian supplier.

I am having the same issue with some red strings that I have. 50 count, M5, on green wire.

I initially thought it was a controller issue. To test, I swapped controller output channels with a known good strand that did dim. The problem followed the lights and not the output channel. I too use LOR.

I have 10 strands in this particular tree and they were connected either end to end, or piggy-backed plugs. I began removing strands until they dimmed properly. At this time, I have 5 on the tree. That group works properly.

In further testing, I dimmed the load via the hardware console to 25%. If I add any of the other 5 strands, either to an end of one of the working strands, or piggy-back the plugs, the lights go to what visually looks like 100% intensity on their own. If you unplug the troubled strand, the remaining lights return to 25%. I did not return to the console to see if that jumped as well. The lights will go off under 9% - no dim, just off.

I can not find my volt meter at this time and it was raining, so I stopped testing yesterday.

I have a second tree with the same strands and number of strands. It does not exhibit the problem. My green lights from the same vendor do not have the same problem.

You can see the issue visually in my show videos from this year on the website. It is apparent in the left front tree in all of the songs - just not the Malfunction/THX intro one.

Edited by shiner

I have 10 strands in this particular tree and they were connected either end to end, or piggy-backed plugs. I began removing strands until they dimmed properly. At this time, I have 5 on the tree. That group works properly.

In further testing, I dimmed the load via the hardware console to 25%. If I add any of the other 5 strands, either to an end of one of the working strands, or piggy-back the plugs, the lights go to what visually looks like 100% intensity on their own. If you unplug the troubled strand, the remaining lights return to 25%. I did not return to the console to see if that jumped as well. The lights will go off under 9% - no dim, just off.

I'll have to try this on my tree.. but in my situation this is happening on all blue and green channels.... And each channel only has two strings on each. IE, my tree has 48 channels (12 x 4 colors). And two 70 count strings on each channel hooked up end to end. For me clearly the Blue/Green LEDs from CDI behave completely differently from the Red/Orange ones.

It sounds like the blue and green were the replacement sets created by the factory he was using last year. The replacements sets corrected problems of rectifiers becoming defective. I have not heard of any problems fading them by people testing them late last year. I would call Paul and talk to him about it. He will do his best to make you happy. I kept my defective strings and rebuilt my own rectifiers last year because that manufacturers c7 leds had the brightest leds with the widest viewing angle.

This is my first year running an animated display using LOR.. I was wondering if anyone is having the same issue with fading some of the CDI LED's as I am. Specifically our Blue and Green strands don't seem to fade well at all. IE, at 20% power these colors are at 75% brightness and seem to just "pop" on and off versus a nice fade on and off. Our Orange and Red LEDs seem to fade up and down properly. Is this normal behavior (IE blue/Green led's brighter somehow)? Or is there a way to work around this issue?

Also, one thing I noticed was the Blue/Green LEDs I got from CDI were different from the Red/Orange even though they appeared to be the same style on the web site (70 counts full wave strands).

The Red and Orange strands were one piece construction and had normal looking connectors on the ends. There are female connectors on both ends of the string and rectifier blobs at both ends and in the middle of the strand. The Blue and Green strands on the other hand were not one piece construction and came with replacement bulbs. The start and end connections are three inches long, and there is only a female connection on one end of the strand.

Oh man... my display is seriously deteriorating with the CDI Blue and Green lights now. Tonight, the fades are getting worse and starting to have a noticeable flicker.. and in some cases the strands just turn off or on, and each string does so at different points. I'm going to make a quick sequence so I can demonstrate this better and film it to post so others can see what is happening... The reds and oranges work great though...

Edited by ArtieMcD

I was thinking the same thing, Add some resistance. I have had similar issues with led's- ignored fades, flickering and the like. By adding a string of mini's to channels with these problems the quirkiness of the led's instantly disappeared.

I was thinking the same thing, Add some resistance. I have had similar issues with led's- ignored fades, flickering and the like. By adding a string of mini's to channels with these problems the quirkiness of the led's instantly disappeared.

Well I tried the suggestions, and indeed plugging in a non-Led string inline (or using a air freshner) did improved the strings ability to fade somewhat but there is still noticable flicker in the strands. It's clearly not a smooth fade. Fortuantly I had a blue holiday creation brand LED string to test with and replaced the CDI string on one of my channels, and sure enough the Holiday Creation string work beatifully just like the Red and Oranges.

So unfortuanly these Blue and Green LEDs from CDI are not to my expectations, and I need to find some replacements quick. I may have wasted close to $500 this year. :( I'm glad I didnt use these for my arches. The motion on the arch would have looked bad with the strobing effect these lights have.

Oh, not sure If I can post links to an external site, but if anyone is interested here is the video of what I am seeing with my display. It's a 4 color 48 channel tree, and I'm simply fading 12 channels at a time using a test sequence rotating through the colors. As you can see the reds and oranges work great... The Blues and Greens not so much. All 12 channels are sequences at the same time... IE, they all should come on and off at the same time and are at the same intensity on all chanels through the fade sequence.

http://www.artiemcdonald.com/VID00011.AVI

Edited by ArtieMcD