Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Toymakr000

Some people just _ _ _ _!!!!

I was putting up lights last night and I had a bunch of people drive by and some stopped. A lot of the people were appreciative and thanked me for what I did. There were two instances though where people were just plain rude and obnoxious!

I had one guy angry at me because I didn't have the lights up and running yet..It kind of sounded like this.

"I went out of my way to come over here and .......bla bla bla"

Somebody else screamed out of their car as they drove by "Why don't you turn you %#^ing lights on already!"

Why would anyone think they should do this?

I have my dates and times posted on my website..What more can I do?

The one guy just plain "ticked"(PC correct) me off!

I'm still angry.

What is going on with people???

Wow, now that's just plain rude.

Over the last week I've had people stop and ask when the show would be running too many times to count. Almost all of them were appreciative, no losers in the bunch. I wonder if you were running into some drunks or somesuch?

Last week I had one guy come to the front door and ring the bell. He had driven his kids over from Kansas City to see the lights and I wasn't done yet. It's about an hour drive for him so I went ahead and ran the show for them with what was up and they were quite happy. ;)

We've also had people leaving anonymous gifts in the front door. Had some wonderful fresh pumpkin bread Sunday morning that took the edge off of being so stiff and sore from all the work. :D

Sorry to hear about this. Most people don't understand or appreciate the amount of effort that goes a display like yours. This probably leads to the expectation that the lights will just magically turn on.

Had they expressed their disappointment in an understanding way then you could feel (a little) sorry for them. But since they chose to act like jerks, you really should try to ignore them and focus on the enjoyment you, your family, and other civilized human beings will get out of your display.

I know it's little consolation but there are all kinds in this world; kind people and jerks.

I'm sure that there are more people that enjoy and appreciate your hard work than the rude nasty one that you encountered and maybe it's better to focus on these people and not let the jerks rob you of a happy holiday time.

Keep up with the good work and as my dad used to say "don't let the b..tards get you down" Have a good one.

I had a friend post on my Facebook wall the other day about how he brought his mom over to our place and the lights weren't on. He wasn't rude, just disappointed. Not sure what to do, some people expect Christmas stuff to start Thanksgiving evening, and that just doesn't work well with our family schedule...

"Not sure what to do, some people expect Christmas stuff to start Thanksgiving evening, and that just doesn't work well with our family schedule..." I totally agree!!

There is only one way I could pull of the whole being done by Thanksgiving thing..

Hire a crew of people to help. I can't start until the second week in November. So time is limited....Very limited..

I wish I could have a good mannered, witty, comeback to say to people like this. It just instantly gets me in a bad mood and i can't stay positive...

Oh what I HATE is when people give you backhanded compliments like, "That looks great I wish I had as much time as you do, I of course am much too busy working".

I don't work a job, I stay home and help run our business so I get this over everything. The yard looking nice in the summer, the garden, the holiday displays, whatever I take to a kids party.

But the kids love it all. That is what it is really about.

Just tell them its great owning your own business, the man does not tell you when you have to work.

Thats what I do.

;)

Ryan

Oh what I HATE is when people give you backhanded compliments like, "That looks great I wish I had as much time as you do, I of course am much too busy working".

I don't work a job, I stay home and help run our business so I get this over everything. The yard looking nice in the summer, the garden, the holiday displays, whatever I take to a kids party.

Next time someone is rude just say "yeah.. I wish they were on too... Feel free to get out of your nice warm car and HELP. No? Oh.. Well Merry Christmas anyway. God bless you."

That aside - A sign on the yard couldn't hurt... With a "no later than" start date.

Edit: Actually.. Leave off the "God Bless You" unless you really mean it as a blessing. I included it above as a subliminal guilt trip for the rude visitor, and that just isn't right, in my opinion, so I regret that.

Edited by RiscIt

I know we all like to get a head start but my Gawd, its not even December yet and people have the nerve to say things like that. I can see that a valid gripe if it was Dec 15th.

Ahh, just think to yourself, thier jealous & wave with a big smile.

I know we all like to get a head start but my Gawd, its not even December yet and people have the nerve to say things like that. I can see that a valid gripe if it was Dec 15th.

Ahh, just think to yourself, thier jealous & wave with a big smile.

I'm thinking these are the same people who complain if you start to early. Just take it in stride, you can never please everyone. We're not commercial displays we're people who do this as a hobby. I'm sure if we went to their home and looked over their hobby and say something like "Hey your train isn't running yet? it's a early 1900s model come on already" they'd laugh.

Oh what I HATE is when people give you backhanded compliments like, "That looks great I wish I had as much time as you do, I of course am much too busy working". .

Most of us dont have time for all this, we make time for it, thats the magic of it.

Amen

For the ones that say "Why aren't your lights on already", tell them, "You're too late, you missed it. They were up and running till last night, and I'm taking everything down to prepare for Valentines Day (Or the 4th of July). Come back in about 2 months for that display".

For the ones that say "Why aren't your lights on already"

I'd answer "I don't know, are yours up yet?" If they say 'yes', ask them how many the put up and/or say "then come help me so I can finish mine". If they say "no" then you shouldn't have to say anything...

At my old house had over 100k lights they call at 3:30pm piss because the lights arn't on.Or call because they drove all the way out there in the rain and lightening could hardly see the road and your lights are not on.lol

Guest showtime

For the ones that say "Why aren't your lights on already", tell them, "You're too late, you missed it. They were up and running till last night, and I'm taking everything down to prepare for Valentines Day (Or the 4th of July). Come back in about 2 months for that display".

Lol I like your idea!:D

Last year someone knocked on the door, when I answered it. The person asked if that was our display "I replied no it was the neighbors". He had to laugh then said I guess I had that coming.

I had a bus from a church show up at like 12:30am one night, they were ringing the doorbell like crazy, it woke us up, but I let them have a show. I wasnt really up for the meet n greet at that hour, I turned it on for 1 cycle and went back to bed.

I couldn't run due to rain last night. I run a nice message on the projector and some voiceovers with just the star on the ztree spinning and the nativity set lit when this happens.

Had several people call me and complain? WTF? Do they think I control the weather? I have well over 1,000 plugs out there and there is no way I can weatherproof all of them...

Oh well, blow it off..

Weather is why I would just as soon not win the town lights display contest because when it is bad icy and wet, I just do not turn it on, I have lost too much stuff that way, even with all of the plugs wrapped. When you get 1/2 inch of ice and high wind, it's not worth the risk.

wow i have had a totally different experience this year.. as most of you know i did not run a display last year.. so halloween weekend it was war mand sunny and I started stringing lights on the roof and everyone that walked by said "christmas lights??" and I sheepishly said "yeah... cant pass up the weather".. and I got "oh cool!! we surely missed the lights last year.. cant wait to see them"..

and every day i was out building it was the same thing.. "oh it is lookin good... we peeked from aroudn the corner last night and saw you testing the roof or the house"...

and since i have gone Live.. I have had people stop and compliment me.. fellow PCers drop by t osee how its going... even had a note under the wiper on my jeep one morning stating the 3 of them had throughly enjoyed the display....

I guess I thought most neighbors would be excited to see someone building a display as it brings joy to people's hearts..

that halloween day I was outside.. it was funny because pretty soon 3 or 4 other neighbors were out putting lights up...

and no one lit theirs up around me until I went live... was kind of funny...

-Christopher