Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
ilovemymac

MR Christmas wireless vs non wireless

I know that all the other ones out there are better then the Gemmy and the MR Christmas but its all i have money for this year.

If i understand what i read the wireless Mr christmas is only 4 channels rather then 6. But i know i read in the forums someone was saying this was better then the regular Mr Christmas.

So for those who have tried these can someone let me know which is better and why?

Also what are your experiences with this unit? Seems from what i read other then you can add MP3 player to the Gemmy its not as well built and many MP3 players dont work with it and even when it does work it seems to dance faster then it should.

So till next year when i can afford to get the LOR or another kind to put up then i will do it up right.

Thanks for all the help

I had the wired pro or plus or whatever it was called. It worked great for what it was. No experience with the wireless. All things created equal, I would want the extra 2 channels. Also, cannot comment on the MP3 input, mine did not have that option.

Guest csx5861

I have the wireless version, I like it except for one thing, there is NO MP3 input on it. And it is only 4 channel as opposed to 6. Although if you had 2 of the wireless units, you would have 8 channels, but synchronizing them is a little tricky! I asked if I could add additional wireless modules, like having two module #1's #2's, etc. to have 8 wireless modules on one unit and was told, NOPE won't work and given instructions on how to synch up two of the units. So I didn't bother to go any further or get a second unit, since all I wanted was to add some additional "wireless capability" to the existing unit.

I have used mine now for 2 years, this is it's second year in operation for Christmas and since it also has the 4 Halloween songs, it was also used for Halloween in 2009 as well. I like it, it works fine and is great for those of us that just don't have the funds for the fancier stuff like LOR, wish I did because I could do so much more, but then I need to invest in a dedicated computer for that too!

All I wish is that the wireless version had audio inputs for an MP3 player so I could connect my computer to it and play my own Halloween or Christmas music instead of the built in stuff!

I have the old wired one. Its got 6 channels. I actually have 3 that I modded to all be controlled by one box. I actually still only have 6 channels but have a ton of stuff plugged into it. I would stick with the 6 channel one. you still have to run power cords so not really sure what the wireless would really do for you. just my opinion. You can plug 3600 lights into the old 6 channel one.

I saw a gemmy on ebay for $40 and so now im curious if i should just grab the gemmy or stick with MR Christmas?

I see more people saying the MR Christmas is better but not sure now that i could get a gemmy for $40.

Will the MR Christmas hold more AMps per channel then the Gemmy? I have at least 4 sets of C9 lights outlining my drive and yard so i would need to be able to run those and 2 sets are connected together.

The rest i have are LED and some mini lights and other display things like reindeer and so forth that i know dont take up much in AMps.

Guest csx5861

On my Mr. Christmas wireless (the modules need dedicated power and the strings plug into the bottom of the wireless modules), but back to the number of strings it can use:

This is what I have on mine currently:

Module #1: 2 of the 200 L.E.D. strings from Lowes, 8 of the L.E.D. strings from Target (60 L.E.D.'s), 2 from Home Depot (50/60? L.E.D.'s) and 2 from Wal-Mart (60 L.E.D.'s) and these are just the ones around the eve of my entire house, then I have one incandescent Santa Wall figurine (20 lights) plugged into that and then 1 more 60 L.E.D. string inside my "Christmas Bear Cage" box. Now that's 15 L.E.D. strings encompassing somewhere around a total of 1,060 L.E.D.'s and 20 incandescent lights on just the #1 module. These are a combination of C6, C7 and I think M5? types.

Then on the #2 module I have 2 strings of 60 Light C7's around the garage door and this also controls 3 strings of 60 L.E.D. M5? type as well as an 20 light incandescent wall mounted snowman. So #2 has the least amount on it at the moment, 300 L.E.D. lights and 20 incandescents.

Module #3 controls 8 strings of 70 L.E.D. Net Lights, 3 strings of M5? 60 L.E.D. lights strung from candy cane to candy cane (1/2 way up or down the candy cane)2 strings of 25 L.E.D. C7 lights (attached to top of Candy Canes (6) and along the ground line (light stakes) a 50 L.E.D. Yard Snowman, 4 C9 incandescent lights in lighted bells, 20 incandescent lights in red lighted bow between the bells and 2 strings of M5? 60 L.E.D. lights. A total of 24 incandescents and 960 L.E.D. lights on module #3.

Module #4 controls 3 strings of 60 M5? L.E.D. lights strung from Candy Cane to Candy Cane (32 canes) on the top in the yard, 6 strings of 70 L.E.D. Net-Lights in the bushes next to the garage (front of house), 2 incandescent 20 light wall mounted candles, 4 strings of 60 button style L.E.D. lights around the small pond and bird bath (yard staked), 60 incandescent Santa and Reindeer yard display and 20 incandescent snowflake lights and 20 incandescent star lights, both set to "steady on function on their controllers), I think each set is 50 lights total, so that's 200 incandesent lights and 840 L.E.D. lights total on module #4.

And the main control box (speaker and light controls) are mounted under the eave of my garage, the control boxes, #1 is at the far left corner of the garage (front of our house and yard), mounted on the wall, module #2 is mounted on the same wall, centered, module #3 is mounted on a stake close to the tree where the snowflake and stars are mounted, module #4 is mounted on the wall in front of the house near the other side of the garage.

And I could still add more to each wireless unit and still not be at it's maximum! I don't have the directions handy, otherwise I'd post the specs that are in the directions for the wireless system. I still have them, but have to find where I put them!

So all in all I am controlling a grand total of: 3,160 L.E.D. lights and 264 incandescent lights on my Mr. Christmas wireless system and it all works really well when using L.E.D. lighting in combination with some incandescents tossed into the mix. Last year I had mostly incandescents on it with only a few L.E.D. strings, this year I got rid of a lot of my incandescents and went with L.E.D. primarily with the exception of a few things that weren't available with L.E.D. lighting in my area.

I'd recommend the GE Mr. Christmas wireless unit to anyone that just wanted a simple plug and play lightshow system, especially if they (like me) can't warrant or afford a LOR system at this time.

Edited by csx5861

My opinion, the Mr. Christmas is better than the Gemmy. Sure the Gemmy has better sounding music, but the speaker is awful. The Gemmy also POORLY controls the lights, they literally just blink on and off at the same speed for every channel. The Mr.C actually follows the beat much better and does more "effects" with the channels. I have one of the 6 channel models as well. works 100%, need to sell it and get it out of here. Also would sell off the gemmy after the end of the season. (using it in my backyard)

Guest csx5861

Jason, how much you asking for your 6 channel Mr. C.? I'm actually looking for something to control some things I may want to put into my side/back yard that's visible from the street.

Guest csx5861

Found my owners manual for my GE Wireless Mr. Christmas (made for Santa's Best Ltd. btw), and here are the wattage requirements for each wireless receiver: 420 watts per receiver (1,680 watt total capacity between the 4 wireless receiver units).

Just thought some folks may like to know the info.