Easiest Terminators/Snubbers to make

chuckd

very impressive.. that's a ton of distance. How did you minimize cross talk on the ethernet cables between controllers? Seems there would be at the distances your trying to cover not only in the tree but in the entire display.. again.. Congrats on a very nice display.. I may have questions for you about it in the future if you don't mind asking.. 

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sidetrack73,

The controllers are mounted in 3 cabinets, there are 6 LOR controllers in each cabinet, each one is connected using 1 meter ethernet pacht cord, then to connect each cabinet we use 3 meter ethernet patcht cord. cabinets are just below the tree and the show run on MP3 showtime pro, not on pc.

As you say it is not only the tree, we have also connected the arches and the rest of the lights are at different levels of the tree.

It would be a pleasure to help you with any questions you have.

Best Regards,

• 9 months later...

My LED strings have no problems with fading/dimming (which seems like most of this topic is about), they just do not turn completely off when at 0. They look like they are above half brightness.

I'm using the 47k, 1W resistor.

The night lights are polarized plugs, which will not hook in to my light strings, which is why I am seeking another alternative, so I do not need to have 2 outlets available per channel and 30+ night lights. American DJ makes a really nice dummy load for $15, but that is wayyyy too pricey...

What else could I do? Why is the resistor not working for me? Could I need a bigger resistor? The resistor only takes about 25% of the glow out.

The strands are 50ct, with lamps rated at 3.8V, 0.076 watt.

Hey Doc,

What value resistor are you using?  Keep in mind that a bigger (I am assuming you mean a higher resistance as opposed to a higher wattage) would make the problem worse as it would drain the charge slower.  What controllers are you using?

Dennis

The night lights are polarized plugs, which will not hook in to my light strings

The snubber doesn't have to attach to the end of the string.  It can be anywhere in the circuit.  Some people add it into the controller.

Get a power splitter,  Put it and the night light at the front of the light strings to test it. 

So far I've tried 47K, 36K, and 28K resistors, all 1 Watt. Still same issue. I have also tried it at various points, ie) end of the string, beginning of the string, on a power splitter as well.

I am using LOR with various controllers, LOR, Elation 4 channel dimmers, and stuff from companies that don't even exist anymore.

The night light solves the glow, but I was trying to avoid using and trying to find 40 incandescent night lights. The resistor seems a lot easier and more practical, but not if I can't get it to work... :unsure:

I know this is pointless... but a glade plug in has been suggested before.. you could even have a pine scent in it??? lol.. I have been told it does work though.. I knave a big set of c7's doing the same thing regardless of the snubber.. its why I have not continued with the project.. most LOR controllers can solve the issue.. but seems every once in a while I find a set that doesn't play nice. 

Hi doc,

Your problem could be something else, has you measured with a multimeter the channel voltage in thecontroller where the lights are connected?

I do this question because it is more likely to be a problem with triac channel, which is not put into 0V completely. this test can you do it with the lights connected and without them. Any voltage more than 5V is evidence that the channel is not so good.

Using a resistor on leds strings is to help unload the energy that accumulates on ledsand so to make dimmers and faders with the strings which do not do it alone.

The fact of placing a night light in the channel and that this will solve the problem is but that the small voltage on the channel is adsorved faster by the bulb and not give the opportunity to use that power on the leds strings.

My suggestion is to test all de LOR channels with a multimeter and share the readings, to help you more.

Regards,

So far I've tried 47K, 36K, and 28K resistors, all 1 Watt. Still same issue. I have also tried it at various points, ie) end of the string, beginning of the string, on a power splitter as well.

I am using LOR with various controllers, LOR, Elation 4 channel dimmers, and stuff from companies that don't even exist anymore.

The night light solves the glow, but I was trying to avoid using and trying to find 40 incandescent night lights. The resistor seems a lot easier and more practical, but not if I can't get it to work... :unsure:

Doc, the only thing that I can suggest is to get the VARIOUS CONTROLLERS, ELATION 4 CHANNEL DIMMERS, and STUFF from companies that don't even exist anymore out of the mix. What you have now may / is not working together and probably no way to make it work together. LOR controllers will dim lights without adding dimmer switchs or any other device between the controller and the lights. From what you are saying , that is what you are trying to do.  If I misunderstood what you said please state how you have them hooked up so we can help with your problem.

Earle

• 3 weeks later...

So, if I make the snubbers and chuckd's pictures. I assume I can plug them into the female end of the led string. Looks to me as this would cause a dead short between the common and the hot side of the string. This is not the case?

Thanks 

Not to cast dispersions,but---I have dimming problems  with certain pieces--that were powered by a Gen 1 LOR, but now are on a Gen 3. The thing is these pieces dimmed just fine before, but not now on the Gen 3! WTH! And these lights are all commercial quality, LEDs--not from retailers.

Not to cast dispersions,but---I have dimming problems  with certain pieces--that were powered by a Gen 1 LOR, but now are on a Gen 3. The thing is these pieces dimmed just fine before, but not now on the Gen 3! WTH! And these lights are all commercial quality, LEDs--not from retailers.

Have you set the dimming curves on the gen three units?

indi....no on the dead short.  You are placing a resistor in there.  A light bulb is a resistor and it connects between the neutral and hot side....same thing, except that little resistor just puts off heat and not visible light.

indi....no on the dead short.  You are placing a resistor in there.  A light bulb is a resistor and it connects between the neutral and hot side....same thing, except that little resistor just puts off heat and not visible light.

Thanks. I made one up yesterday and plugged it into the lights and they went off. I noticed that they only pull 3.4 volts. I plan to make a few more to have on hand just in case I have that problem down the road.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The below plugs from Home Depot and resistors from Radio Shack worked perfectly together! $1.90 total probably isn't the cheapest parts, but I only needed about 10 of these? I only have an issue when I have a run over about 400 LED's. $19 was much cheaper than trying to replace a GEN2 controller with a GEN3. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-2-Pole-Black-Flat-Plug-R55-48643-0DE/202077705

http://www.radioshack.com/47k-ohm-1-2w-5-carbon-film-resistor-pk-5/2711130.html#.VKMPyNLF9h4

Archived