Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
jbitzer

Building Small arches - Thoughts ?

I have a narrow 40' area on the side of my house that seems well suited for arches. I don't a big property so wanted to use a small design and here's what I came up with.

To give you some background I am not using LOR (however would gladly accept donations) because of the cost and time involved. I would rather use the time it would take me to program and build stuff...like arches! What I am using instead is one of these GE units with 6 outlets and 20 preloaded songs. For my needs right now it fits.

I am going to use 1/2" 10' PVC and wrap with white/blue. The colors will alternate in a spiral pattern and my thought is to have all the whites on all arches on one outlet and all the blue on another. Most of the designs I have seen were for leaping arches using 3/4 inch PVC with will accommodate 8 strings of 100. Since I am using a smaller diameter my guess is I could probably cover the PVC with 6 strings. Again my goal is not to leap but to have 2 color arches. I'd like to try and get 3 done...4 would be great but realistically we are probably closer to 2.

Has anyone done this type of arch and can tell how many lights it takes to cover a 1/2" diameter PVC and any pointers/suggestions/thoughts on this design?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jeff,

I used MrC a couple years ago and if I remember correctly it would only handle 2A on each outlet. Depending on the type of light you use, LED vs Incandecent, you may be limited by the amount of lights you can use. I made 10 = 1/2" arches using 2 colors with 100 lights on each one; they looked nice. With LOR I still use them as a fence but have also made 20 foot arches using 1600 lights on each one. I would wrap an arch and see if it looks like you imagine it would be. My 2 cents.

Larry

Hi Jeff,

I used MrC a couple years ago and if I remember correctly it would only handle 2A on each outlet. Depending on the type of light you use, LED vs Incandecent, you may be limited by the amount of lights you can use. I made 10 = 1/2" arches using 2 colors with 100 lights on each one; they looked nice. With LOR I still use them as a fence but have also made 20 foot arches using 1600 lights on each one. I would wrap an arch and see if it looks like you imagine it would be. My 2 cents.

Larry

You raise an excellent point of amp rating. With the standard target flavor of non LED we have 0.34 per string of 100. This comes out to roughly 6 strings per outlet however in theory they would be on intermittently and not constant on. LED is definitely the way to go however in my area I am having a serious challenge finding LEDs in anything other than multi and white. Looks like it

I have a narrow 40' area on the side of my house that seems well suited for arches. I don't a big property so wanted to use a small design and here's what I came up with.

To give you some background I am not using LOR (however would gladly accept donations) because of the cost and time involved. I would rather use the time it would take me to program and build stuff...like arches! What I am using instead is one of these GE units with 6 outlets and 20 preloaded songs. For my needs right now it fits.

I am going to use 1/2" 10' PVC and wrap with white/blue. The colors will alternate in a spiral pattern and my thought is to have all the whites on all arches on one outlet and all the blue on another. Most of the designs I have seen were for leaping arches using 3/4 inch PVC with will accommodate 8 strings of 100. Since I am using a smaller diameter my guess is I could probably cover the PVC with 6 strings. Again my goal is not to leap but to have 2 color arches. I'd like to try and get 3 done...4 would be great but realistically we are probably closer to 2.

Has anyone done this type of arch and can tell how many lights it takes to cover a 1/2" diameter PVC and any pointers/suggestions/thoughts on this design?

Thanks in advance!

Use elctrical "GREY" PVC it will hold up to the weather better than white PVC 3/4 Grey 10' log can be bent into a 6' across arch 2 10' pieces can easy make a 12foot arche across. Use the grey, less brittel than the white 1/2 is a littel on the flex side. on 3/4 inch you can use 1/2 EMT condut will side right in side of it for you stakes. IF the end get musroomed over cut of the last 1" or so and it will side right over.

I agree, stick with 3/4" and using the grey electrical conduit is a great idea. Use 1/2" rebar to secure the ends in the ground.

You also don't need so many lights per arch! even 200 lights will cover a 10' x 3/4" arch and look nice. My arches are only 300 lights (3 sections) and I think look fine. On two of them I had originally wrapped 200 gold lights on them first, but have just never used the gold... It looked like an arch still though when it was lit.

Guest Lightzilla

Do you have an old trampoline? You cannot get a more perfect arch (key word arch) that can handle a heavy load of lights.

There are slots in the trampoline (where the springs go) that make good glide lines. I use a 12ft trampoline and every slot is about 6 inches, so I wrap lights around two slots (I used 70 LED strings, 50 count might be better) There are enough slots to have a 16 channel arch, or even an 8 channel arch, add two colours or what ever.

Also you can take it a part for storage since it comes in 3ft sections. Trampolines can be used for a wide range of ideas. Some ideas I plan to keep to myself until after I get it together, but there are others on here that put a star in the middle of a trampoline, make a animated Ferris wheel using a trampoline.

Anyway something to think about.

I use the gray electrical conduit.. 1/2" .. mine are for animation so i use 8 of the 50 light gold sets.. each set covers 15 inches.. I have a lot of clay so I didnt want to try and run rebar into the ground so I used really thin aircraft cable and put a notch in each end of the pipe.. put a nub on the cable and then arched the arch so it is 8 feet when arched and then stake them into the ground... each arch is 8 feet long and about 3 feet high at its peak...

I also have a small yard... you can see how mine look in a small yard if you watch my videos..

-Christopher

Great video Chris.... How many channels are you commmitting to each arch? I want to expand to using them for next year and just want to figure how much of everything I will need when the sales starts on the lights after Christmas

I use 8 channels per arch.. I try to make most items in my display in multiples of 4 as most of the music is 4/4 time (some is 3/4 or 6/8) but I find multiples of 4 makes it easier to sequence"to the beat"... or to multiples of the beat..(ie divide 1 beat cell into 4 or 8).

everyone has their own way of sequencing. so you may want to do it a totally different way

-Christopher