Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
chartrand

What store sells the HUGE doorway Candy Canes

I've been by two houses in town that both have these HUGE red and white candy canes that are taller than a front door of a house. It looks like maybe there is a piece that goes across the top connecting the two candy canes. So what store is selling them anyone know? I checked Lowes, Menards, and Sams Club so far.

Thanks

Patrick

I've had two of those arches..and both of them did not hold up at all. The first one was flattened by a snow storm, 65 mph gusts of wind. I had them anchored with 6' pieces of rebar as well as guy wires..the frames snapped like twigs. The replacement I bought after I threw away the first one, rusted out, the welds snapped, and I gave up on them. So be cautious, they weren't cheap when I bought them and they deteriorated so quickly that they were beyond repair.

Thanks all...

I was planning to have a mega wreath with the screen in the middle, but my welder is struggling with putting everything together. So I thought about maybe just using a square screen with the frame made from 1 1/4 in threaded metal pipe (like I used for the mega tree pole. and basically make a square with some legs to hold it off the ground. I will put the screen inside the frame using bungees and then these large candy canes you found for me to hide the pole. The candy canes would be strapped to the poles to give them the extra strength they may need as Carrie pointed out.

Thanks again!!

-Pat

I've had two of those arches..and both of them did not hold up at all. The first one was flattened by a snow storm, 65 mph gusts of wind. I had them anchored with 6' pieces of rebar as well as guy wires..the frames snapped like twigs. The replacement I bought after I threw away the first one, rusted out, the welds snapped, and I gave up on them. So be cautious, they weren't cheap when I bought them and they deteriorated so quickly that they were beyond repair.

Same thing happened to a neighbor's.

My candy cane arch is several years old. I date all my boxes, but right now i dont remember the year. I used it several years on the ground in front of an arbor, as designed. But a few years ago the wife suggested hanging it on the house and its been there since. I know this took a few words to get to, but i have not seen any of the items that used to be available in the stores or on-line. The wife calls the stuff in the store now "Disposable Christmas". Its pretty much junk; use it for one maybe two years and thats it. Good luck on finding it. You may end of building your own. If you would like some more detailed pix, I can at least support you there.

I have one that I got the same time as Carrie. I live in Northwest Iowa which can be brutal. I'm still using mine. I used re-bar and also put sand bags on the base of it. The only thing I have done is re-painted the white screen and red screen this past summer. Alot of times mine is up from November until March before I can get it out of the ground.

Guest Jeff_Womack

I'll second Carrie's post. If the welds don't break you'll be shotting the mesh with paint every year or so trying to keep it looking good.

I have the wireframe version of this from J.C. Penney that I bought about 5 years ago. I used it one year and haven't used it since. It doesn't have much to counterbalance it and it kept falling over, no matter how well I anchored it.

Janice

My candy cane arch is several years old. I date all my boxes, but right now i dont remember the year. I used it several years on the ground in front of an arbor, as designed. But a few years ago the wife suggested hanging it on the house and its been there since. I know this took a few words to get to, but i have not seen any of the items that used to be available in the stores or on-line. The wife calls the stuff in the store now "Disposable Christmas". Its pretty much junk; use it for one maybe two years and thats it. Good luck on finding it. You may end of building your own. If you would like some more detailed pix, I can at least support you there.

Your candy cane arch looks like much better quality than the one offered on improvementscatalog.com. I would appreciate seeing some more detailed pix!

Thanks,

Kathi

I would be more than happy to, here is a night shot. If you want more detailed, ie you are going to build it from this design, let me know and i can take some good close ups and more info on how its made. It does fold in a couple spots for storage.

I have the wireframe version of this from J.C. Penney that I bought about 5 years ago. I used it one year and haven't used it since. It doesn't have much to counterbalance it and it kept falling over, no matter how well I anchored it.

Janice

Would you be interested in selling them? Do you have any pictures of them?

-Pat

is this more substantial from Christmas done bright??

http://www.christmasdonebright.com/lighted-displays/OVERSTOCK-SALE?search=arch

i have always wanted one of these and one town over has used one for several years looks like the same one every year HTH

Deb, the wireframes from CDB are much better quality. The first candy cane arch I had was from JC Penney. My husband bought it for me as a Christmas gift one year. The rod is thinner and lighter than what is used by CDB. I have other CDB wireframes so I have, in fact, compared them.