L.E.D. Spots?!

So I was visiting a fellow Light-O-Rama users' display tonight and I noticed that the spotlights he was using were SO much brighter and crisper than mine, when I realized they were LED spots. I told myself two years ago that I'd love it if they made LED spotlights, and apparently they do. Problem is, I have no idea where to find these things. Anyone have a clue? I've included a picture for reference. Thanks in advance!

~Taylor

post-7675-129571177441_thumb.jpg

post-7675-129571177441_thumb.jpg

Also check out actionlighting.com. They've got LED spots of several sizes and widths. Only drawback is that you need to buy case quantities, which is at least 6 of each color.

Several other vendors that frequent PC may also carry these.

im using MR-16's spots for part of my display... they are definately SPOTS and not floods... the blue and green are pretty vivid... the red however seems to be a bit lacking in brightness... however wit ha resistor they dim nicely on computer control so thats a plus...

im looking at going to something bigger for 010....

I put the MR16 bulbs in landscape light fixtures and so they are out of the weather....

right now the regular PAR style bulbs are really expensive.. as is going with a DMX color changing fixture and DMX board for AL or LOR..

-Christopher

im using MR-16's spots for part of my display... they are definately SPOTS and not floods... the blue and green are pretty vivid... the red however seems to be a bit lacking in brightness... however wit ha resistor they dim nicely on computer control so thats a plus...

im looking at going to something bigger for 010....

I put the MR16 bulbs in landscape light fixtures and so they are out of the weather....

right now the regular PAR style bulbs are really expensive.. as is going with a DMX color changing fixture and DMX board for AL or LOR..

-Christopher

i agree 100% i have 30 mr16's and the colors are great...red is a little dim but looks sweet when mixed with the blues

the PARs on minionsweb aren't that expensive... around 15 bucks a pop...but they can dim, strobe, and are waterproof. which means no need for a dc board or enclosures...

Thanks all for mentioning MinionsWeb.

Yes, we do make a number of LED spots.

You can order them very affordably in any quantity, with discounts as the quantity increases.

They work with the LOR and other controller functions.

Like any LED unit, you may want to add snubbers when using low quantities.

We are pretty low on the big boys (par30-par38) but have a nice amount of stock in the PAR20 36 led variety still.

I am checking completey encased fixtures, exterior rated Can fixtures, and all sorts of strings/ropes, flex neons, curtain, falling snow, icicle, nets, etc on my China visit starting next week.

I have some 30 factories to visit.

Any suggestions on a particular style of light folks would desire?

I cant wait for my LOR rig to arrive for testing while I am there!

im looking at wanting to do full house wash.. so im considering XMAS flood or the DIY version for 010.. although I really like a "spotty spot" approach too where I can create spots of color on the house..

for my garage door my MR-16 work great because it is white... and there arent a lot of other christmas lights around it in the vicinity..

im fighting a couple factors for the house... 1 is that the brick in front is red.. and the vinyl siding is tan... and there is a big sodium lamp post directly across the street,,, and then also Id lkike the ability to be able to shine spots on the house when other lights are on in the yard.. my MR-16's on the darker colored house wash out..

so for me a true SPOT... and BRIGHT is the name of the game...

my incandescent spots were really floods.. they were bright enough but with washed out colors.......

I also wish there was some way to convert my mr. christmas snow projectors to be brighter.. but the attempt i made didnt net me any gain...

-Christopher

The "Mighty Mini" flood kits available via doityourselfchristmas.com look promising and the price is right. The hopefully-coming-soon LOR/"XMAS" flood is supposed to be even nicer, if it's ever released ;)

I'm very happy with my RGB+W LED Floods that are fully dimmable and cost $55 each including the housing/poles/etc.

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showpost.php?p=400509&postcount=27

Edited by dmoore

im looking at wanting to do full house wash.. so im considering XMAS flood or the DIY version for 010.. although I really like a "spotty spot" approach too where I can create spots of color on the house..

for my garage door my MR-16 work great because it is white... and there arent a lot of other christmas lights around it in the vicinity..

im fighting a couple factors for the house... 1 is that the brick in front is red.. and the vinyl siding is tan... and there is a big sodium lamp post directly across the street,,, and then also Id lkike the ability to be able to shine spots on the house when other lights are on in the yard.. my MR-16's on the darker colored house wash out..

so for me a true SPOT... and BRIGHT is the name of the game...

my incandescent spots were really floods.. they were bright enough but with washed out colors.......

I also wish there was some way to convert my mr. christmas snow projectors to be brighter.. but the attempt i made didnt net me any gain...

-Christopher

Christopher,

I have a very similar situation at my house.

Red brick front, no siding anywhere.

I have 6 street lights on 30+ ft poles within 150 of each end of the property.

One centered across the street, bracketed by 2 more 200 ft from the center one.

The one on the corner of the lot, another 50 feet from the lot other end of the lot, another 100 ft from that.

You can read a book in my front yard with all the light.

I use the PAR38 120 LEDs on the brick front, no problem seeing most colors, at worst case I double up on the darker colors (red orange yellow purple) to see the coloring.

Pics of my house at halloween are here

I was in a huge rush to get lights up on halloween, had 3 days to set this stuff up fighting weather...so the orange spots on the house are aimed poorly.

Spot and bright was what it was all about when I spec'd these bulbs, my manufacturer has delivered.

Each year we refine and improve the bulbs, and add additional bulbs to the line, this year we added 4 new colors (warm white, orange, UV, full band UV) to all lines and added 12, 50, 72 and 120 LED spots to the line up, adding to the existing 18 and 36 led models.

I am unsure what I will add to the line up this next year, may add a 210 LED bulb, or branch out to MR-11/16s in 12-24V

Other specs are available here

minions: are those floods or spots?

I keep going back and forth but may very well do a mixture of floods and spots.. I like the idea of wall washing. but also like the idea of being able to shine bright colored spots on parts of the house too...

I have looked at DMX fixtures for roving spots however here in ohio there are so many factors involved in making theatre spot lights weatherproof.. not only does there need to be a dome and then condensation control for the dome.. there needs to be heat in the boxes or the bulb will burst on power up in cold situations..

so my thought was to give up on the roving area but be able to shine colored spots at various parts of the house instead....

I tried WAYYY overdriving one of my MR-16s as a test to see if it would get brighter but they must have built in current limiting circuits in the wirekat bulbs.. I pushed 24 volts at it and my current flow only went up till I hit a little over 12 volts.. my thought was that I could get away for short periods of time over driving the MR16 but i guess the makers of it are onto that strategy......

-Christopher

minions: are those floods or spots?

Our bulbs, under technical specs, are spots.

Bulbs under an 85` beam spread should be labeled spots, our bulbs are between 55 and 80`.

However, many bulbs labeled as spots are floods, and many as floods are spots.

You have to test most halogen and incandescent to determine what they truly are.

In my testing most are mislabeled.

The worst offenders I found were: GE, Sylvania, and Philips.

You also need to check specs on other brands of LED bulbs.

My opinion is do not believe what is on the label.

I keep going back and forth but may very well do a mixture of floods and spots.. I like the idea of wall washing. but also like the idea of being able to shine bright colored spots on parts of the house too...

You should be able to accomplish a wash with either a spot or flood.

(most will have a fade from closest to bulb to furthest point away)

A lot of creating a wash is relative to distance from the surface, angle of attack and beam spread.

Sharp angle, more fade.

Closer to surface, narrower field.

Shallow angle, less fade.

Further from surface, wider field.

There is much you can do if you plan out the lighting scheme and experiment with the bulbs.

I have looked at DMX fixtures for roving spots however here in ohio there are so many factors involved in making theatre spot lights weatherproof.. not only does there need to be a dome and then condensation control for the dome.. there needs to be heat in the boxes or the bulb will burst on power up in cold situations..

I am in Ohio too, Cleveland, so I think my weather is crappier than yours.

One of the products I am specifically seeking is IP65 sealed housing LED spots and floods.

Ideally I want them to be affordable, and of good quality.

I think I have found 4 candidates, now it will be a matter of inspection and testing.

Since I refuse to deal with hot lights anymore, all will be array based 5mm-10mm LED construction, no cree or comparable, and no filament based fixtures.

There is just too much heat generated, the chips mean you need to dissipate that heat to protect lamp life, which translates to larger housings, more mass, more cost.

I have a 2 year old who will touch anything without forethought, anything I offer needs to be safe to touch too.

A major portion of my clientele are amusement parks, dark rides and haunted houses, all of which are subject to fire marshal inspection.

Safe lighting has become paramount.

As far as condensation and heat damages inside such a fixture, the IP65 housings preclude those issues.

Quality designed LEDs products will operate from -20 to 100 Celsius, so cold temps have no impact.

so my thought was to give up on the roving area but be able to shine colored spots at various parts of the house instead....

You can do that with LED PAR based lighting easily.

I tried WAYYY overdriving one of my MR-16s as a test to see if it would get brighter but they must have built in current limiting circuits in the wirekat bulbs.. I pushed 24 volts at it and my current flow only went up till I hit a little over 12 volts.. my thought was that I could get away for short periods of time over driving the MR16 but i guess the makers of it are onto that strategy......

-Christopher

An intelligently designed lamp does have limiters incorporated, you will find most are designed as such.

Often bulbs will have under-current limiters in them too to protect the circuit, at least in better designed lamps.

It is more for liability protection than anything else.

Slowly, foreign manufacturers are considering accountability....

Slowly, foreign manufacturers are considering accountability....

I think if importers/outsourcers actually allowed the names of the factory to be placed on the product, foreign manufacturers would have even more incentive to produce better quality. One thing I hate about the current state of affairs is that the consumer rarely knows who is producing a product, and the importers almost always switch factories very often. Also, a candidate factory may provide you with an awesome sample, but fill the container with lesser quality product. With a manufacturer name on the product, we could establish a reputation and trust with certain manufacturers. Just a thought....

I think if importers/outsourcers actually allowed the names of the factory to be placed on the product, foreign manufacturers would have even more incentive to produce better quality. One thing I hate about the current state of affairs is that the consumer rarely knows who is producing a product, and the importers almost always switch factories very often. Also, a candidate factory may provide you with an awesome sample, but fill the container with lesser quality product. With a manufacturer name on the product, we could establish a reputation and trust with certain manufacturers. Just a thought....

If we as importers did that, then what would be the benefit to actually building a business, the experience, and the reputation?

Manufacturers who cheat the consumer have no shame.

In the halloween industry, there was such a company.

Year after year they produced garbage, yet the big box store and the naive vendors, still bought from them.

Until 2 years back.

They took off with millions and millions, without delivering any product, simply turned off the phones and emptied the offices.

If you are into halloween too, you have probably noted the huge decline in products at the big box/chain store level since 2008.

With the Chinese businesses, it is part of the culture.

What can be done to pinch pennies, to skim the most money, without getting caught?

Having a Chinese wife with a masters in business who worked in that culture (and abhorred it!) I have heard a heck of a lot of stories.

Not just from her.

From her friends, and from her colleagues.

I enforce quality product via due diligence.

We will be in the factory in 2 weeks (same manufacturer for 4 years) inspecting conditions, discussing modifications for improvements for the 2010 run, and discussing past points of failure with the company rep and the engineers.

I employ 2 agents in China who periodically visit the factory, pulling units for testing, putting the lamps thru the paces, testing lux, beam spread etc.

There is always a final pre-container inspection and testing battery.

You suggest I (and other vendors) should publish the manufacturers name on our packaging? When I do all the work? When I go to the expense?

So someone else can then go in and try to capitalize on my work?

Or this other party can request a poor quality product, teaching the factory that cutting corners is acceptable, and that if I don't know - it wont hurt me, if THEY dont get caught?

The Chinese legal system does not work like ours, there are no protections in place from the manufacture, nor from unscrupulous 3rd parties.

Heck - American institutions can just give away the coke formula, or the KFC recipe (which btw, is different in China)....

It is very egalitarian of you, but I am not giving anyone else the fruits of my labor, since I would lose my investment - especially if it could impact my family and our well-being.

I hope this isnt coming across as snide, it is late and I am beat....so forgive me if the tone comes across as upset, I am not, I am just trying to illustrate and express my perspective.

Off my soapbox....

I also think most people believe it is as easy as just getting a bunch of people together.. calling up a chinese factory and ordering a container ship of product over and getting it super cheap...

it may be that easy but as you say they have no real quality control and really have not a lot of interest in quality control... they see it as acceptible for a failure rate far above what the USA and other developed countries see as acceptible... to them if a product fails. they just say send it back and theyll send a new one.. at the customer's expense for shipping back and at a nice long wait....

I deal with a chinese company that sells mini split air conditioners... minisplts are becoming the rage in USA and europe and australia... these units typically are shipped completely assembled and rather easy to install..

customers know this and demand fairly low cost installations as on their websites it indicates a contractor only take 1-2 hours for the average install...

ahhh but then we find these units are precharged with refrigerant.. however chinese must not be able to read a scale.. because rarely are they ever charged correctly.

and there is no protocol for just adding or subtracting refrigerant.. you must recover it all out and weight it back in with a scale... more often than not the units are undercharged so we have to add from our stock..

as well as at least an hour to recover it out and weight it back in..

so suddenly we have added a lb or more at $10 / lb and an hour of work to a 2 hour bid...

the china company isnt gonna pay for that, so we eat it,,

thats why id rather someone like minions do the work on the lights.. or like paul with CDI where he does the work.. I'll gladly pay a few more bucks knowing that there is someone dilligently working on getting as high quality of product as possible for me the consumer....

-Christopher