Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Choo Choo

Nails instead of fuses?

Hey, Y'all:

I'm a newbie to the forum and looking for answers to a couple of questions. I will appreciate your help.

I heard a fellow on TV who said you can replace the fuses in a string of lights with nails, which will enable you to connect an endless number of light strings. Is this common among folks who do lots of Christmas lights? Is it safe? Do you cut the nails the same size as the fuses? Should use a particular type and size nail?

I've long wanted to wrap lights on the limbs in a tall oak tree in my yard but could never figure out how to get around the limit of connecting only three strings of lights. Replacing the fuses with nails could let me do it, though it seems like an endless task removing fuses and substituting nails.

Also, do those of you who put lights throughout a tall tree leave them up all year?

Thanks for reading my question. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Choo Choo

Short answer: don't do it.

I suspect the guy on TV was pulling one over on the production company (and the audience).

Rule of Threes: On just about every string of Christmas lights you buy before 2008, it will have a sticker saying to never plug more than three of them together in series. Don't try and bend the rules by sneaking in an extra string or two. The wires powering those little lights are small and not designed to handle a lot of electrical current. Violating the rule of three's will get you blown fuses, melted wire or a fire.

Above is a quote from the "How Do I" section on Planet Christmas. If you replace fuses with nails the tiny little wire will melt and you could end up with a big fire. Electricity is dangerous, don't play with it.

Jeff

I heard a fellow on TV who said you can replace the fuses in a string of lights with nails, which will enable you to connect an endless number of light strings. Is this common among folks who do lots of Christmas lights? Is it safe? Do you cut the nails the same size as the fuses? Should use a particular type and size nail?

Also, do those of you who put lights throughout a tall tree leave them up all year?

Nails? Only if followed by a "Hey, Y'all, hold my beer and watch this" moment.

trees: I did it this past year with some LEDs. They did fine.

Hey, Y'all:

I'm a newbie to the forum and looking for answers to a couple of questions. I will appreciate your help.

I've long wanted to wrap lights on the limbs in a tall oak tree in my yard but could never figure out how to get around the limit of connecting only three strings of lights. Replacing the fuses with nails could let me do it, though it seems like an endless task removing fuses and substituting nails.

Thanks for reading my question. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Choo Choo

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! Electricity is NOT something to fool with. Unless you have the fire department on standby, don't do it. As far as leaving the lights up all year. It will look tacky. On your house it wouldn't be a big deal only if you use leds. If you use incadescents, you will have all white lights the next year. DON'T do it on trees. Trees grow and the light strings will get tighter and stretch and get damaged and will damage the tree.

I know now where the Home Depot employee that I over heard telling a customer if he was blowing 15 amp breakers to just replace it with a 20 amp breaker went to. :121_reindeer:

Greg

Nails... Yeah I saw the same deal on TLC, that episide is on it's 3rd year run and I'm suprised they haven't edited out that nonsence.

As for the "rules of 3" well that's nonsence as well. They FINALLY pulled their heads out and have labled light strings correctly now based on the wattage of the strings, not just making the generic "3 max" statement.

Check the wattage/amperage of your light strings. Most likely you can connect 5 at least and still be safely under 3 amps. "energy savers" even more, and I have greens I bought at lowes this year that are only 24 watts per 100, meaning 8 or 9 can be connected and be within the 3 amp limit. However, line loss on that tiny of a wire will begin to be a factor on a run that long.

Don't believe what you see on tv. The fuses are there for a reason.

I watched a christmas light show once where the homeowner said he just replaced his 15 amp breakers with 30 or 40 amp breakers so they would quit triping.

TLC let that go on-the-air? I think it's time to put nails in my strings, burn down the house, and sue.

(Truth be told: At first I though the OP was being a troll. I was wrong.)

Here is a clip of the video in question.

"A lot of people come over here, and think I'm an electrician... but I'm not" old baldy says... I wonder how he lost that hair.

For those who insist on doing this anyway, I think it would work best to do it while they're plugged in - the electrical juice will help sink them down into place better. Also, you might want to lube up the nails first with a little gasoline to make them slide in easier.

Baldy(name withheld to protect the stupid) is in irresponsible idiot.

I can not believe that TLC left that be shown and has not edited it out over the years.

Just Irresponsible.

Whoa there! Bobby is a member here so perhaps you should temper your words a bit. I agree that it's not a safe idea (and for the record everyone, TLC did in fact edit it out of the rerun in 2007- not sure why it's back in there) but since everyone here espouses being positive and family-friendly I think you might want to clam up. I'm sure you're perfect and have never made a stupid comment.

Oh wait... you just did with your venomous outburst.

Whoa there! Bobby is a member here so perhaps you should temper your words a bit. I agree that it's not a safe idea (and for the record everyone, TLC did in fact edit it out of the rerun in 2007- not sure why it's back in there) but since everyone here espouses being positive and family-friendly I think you might want to clam up. I'm sure you're perfect and have never made a stupid comment.

Oh wait... you just did with your venomous outburst.

It has nothing to do with being nice or mean or whatever. We are just trying to get the point across of how bad this is. If we don't stress it enough, someone will try it and burn down their house. Of course someone will try it anyway.

BS- calling someone an idiot, stupid, and baldy (we attack personal appearance around here now? Wow!) has nothing to do with anything Positive, Family Friendly, or Christmas Centric. Bottom line. It's rude, spiteful and not constructive at all.

This thread will be sanitized and locked, but there's a way to say that something is bad advice without being a flat out jerk about it.

I have a lot of respect for you Shaun (and if anyone doubts that go look at my friend's list on Facebook) but don't say you agree with how these people chose to speak about the other members here. Bad advice? Shout it from the rooftops. Insulting people? Zip it!

BS- calling someone an idiot, stupid, and baldy (we attack personal appearance around here now? Wow!) has nothing to do with anything Positive, Family Friendly, or Christmas Centric. Bottom line. It's rude, spiteful and not constructive at all.

This thread will be sanitized and locked, but there's a way to say that something is bad advice without being a flat out jerk about it.

I have a lot of respect for you Shaun (and if anyone doubts that go look at my friend's list on Facebook) but don't say you agree with how these people chose to speak about the other members here. Bad advice? Shout it from the rooftops. Insulting people? Zip it!

I agree with the name calling. I don't like it either. I simply gave advice to the newbie. I didn't even see the part on TLC.

Would this be similar to cleaning your ears with a loaded pistol? Sure, you can do it, but one little slip and you are history.

And so, how would YOU refer to someone removing safety features? Smart? Awesome?

Main Entry: id

Mike- Bad advice doesn't make someone an idiot or jerk. Behavior does that.

And so, how would YOU refer to someone removing safety features? Smart? Awesome?

Main Entry: id

Okay guys. Name-calling isn't cool. A lot of real good guys are starting to argue. Safety devices shouldn't be removed, and people should not be called names. Mike, Ryan, can we all just get along? It's Christmas season boys, let's be happy.

Okay guys. Name-calling isn't cool. A lot of real good guys are starting to argue. Safety devices shouldn't be removed, and people should not be called names. Mike, Ryan, can we all just get along? It's Christmas season boys, let's be happy.

Mike and I aren't calling each other names at all. That's why I didn't report his post. :D Just the two that called Bobby baldy, and idiot, and such things! :giggle: